Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azdave
    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by remnokc
    is that price for DIY or professional install?

(oops, sorry I see you mentioned 'installer') my bad - but WoW!! that is a GREAT PRICE.
    Yes, professionally done and turn-key so all I did was sign docs.

I had quite a few companies quote the job and I was really shocked how far apart the prices were. The companies that strongly wanted to sign me to a lease came back with rediculous prices for a purchased system and tried to get me to sign immediately on the spot with some bogus discount that expired in under 24 hours. When I told them I was only interested in a purchase, half of them stopped calling.

The two lowest priced companies were both very close in their final cost. In the end, I chose a local company with a great reputation that has a blem free record with the ROC, BBB, etc.

Once we agreed on a price I got them to give me a further discount by offering to pay a large portion of the cost before they even started the design process. To optimize my "after-incentives" discounts I then put the entire purchase on a cash-back credit card (which I paid off immediately) to avoid interest.
    Dave W. Gilbert AZ
    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• dat
      • Oct 2014

Finally signed the contract today. $24100 for 7.14kW = $3.38/watt for 28 Canadian Solar CS6P-255P panels, Enphase M215 micro inverters, and Enlighten Envoy monitor in San Jose, CA.
      I also upgrade main service panel from 100A to 200A for $2500 plus a new circuit with two new outside outlets for $300. Total is $26900.00 before incentive. The contractor has over 35 reviews with all 5 star at Solar reviews.

Comment

• thejq
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2014

Congrats. Good luck with the installation. Too bad, the best time of the year has passed, but at least you can finish before year end and claim the tax credit right away.
        16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• dat
          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by thejq
          Congrats. Good luck with the installation. Too bad, the best time of the year has passed, but at least you can finish before year end and claim the tax credit right away.
          Thank you. Yes, I want to finish before the year end to get the tax money right away . Also, the price in slow season is cheaper than busy season.

Comment

• silversaver
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2013

I still recall my final approval letter were on Dec 28th 2013. Otherwise I'll have to wait for whole year before I can claim the tax credit.

Comment

• dat
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by silversaver
              I still recall my final approval letter were on Dec 28th 2013. Otherwise I'll have to wait for whole year before I can claim the tax credit.
              What is the final approval letter?

Comment

• silversaver
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by dat
                What is the final approval letter?
                The ok letter from POCO, so your installer can bill you the final payment.

Comment

• mdpo
                  • Aug 2014

re:

Originally posted by silversaver
                  The ok letter from POCO, so your installer can bill you the final payment.
                  Funny, my installer is giving me the final billing since the city inspector has signed off already not the ok letter from POCO. Is this normal?

Comment

• Bikerscum
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by mdpo
                    Funny, my installer is giving me the final billing since the city inspector has signed off already not the ok letter from POCO. Is this normal?
                    It was that way with my install also.
                    6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

• mdpo
                      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Bikerscum
                      It was that way with my install also.
                      Thanks Bikerscum... at least i know that this is not extraordinary

Comment

• Mike848
                        • Oct 2014

I asked about the final payment as well since both my prospective installers wanted it at the time the city inspector approves the final inspection instead of when I receive the interconnection approval letter from the utility. One installer told me that having paid the full price of the system was a requirement for applying for the utility rebate, but since there is no more rebate money available, my installer was willing to let me hold back a small final payment until I receive the approval letter from the utility. My guess is that the holdback is the exception rather than the rule, but it never hurts to ask the installer for a holdback until the approval letter.

Comment

• markrogo
                          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Carl_NH
                          Yes - that is a great price! It appears the costs are lower in west and sunny regions. I can only assume that this is due to 1) higher volume and more installations, 2) consistent year around installations and more local installers mean more competitive pricing.

The colder climates most installers can work maybe 9 months on average unless they do ground based systems or larger commercial installations.

Pricing does drop a lot though above 7KW it appears - as installation of a few more panels doesn't cost that much more.
                          I had a neighbor here in Northern California get $3.40/watt -- relatively rare up here, though not unheard of. He put in about 10KW worth of panels.

Comment

• veerrao
                            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by markrogo
                            I had a neighbor here in Northern California get $3.40/watt -- relatively rare up here, though not unheard of. He put in about 10KW worth of panels.

Hi Markrogo,

Can you please share your neighbor's contractor details via PM, I can't PM you since I am new to the forum and don't have 10 posts yet.
                            I am in BayArea, CA.

Best,
                            Veer

Comment

• veerrao
                              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by dat
                              Finally signed the contract today. $24100 for 7.14kW = $3.38/watt for 28 Canadian Solar CS6P-255P panels, Enphase M215 micro inverters, and Enlighten Envoy monitor in San Jose, CA.
                              I also upgrade main service panel from 100A to 200A for $2500 plus a new circuit with two new outside outlets for $300. Total is $26900.00 before incentive. The contractor has over 35 reviews with all 5 star at Solar reviews.
                              Hi Dat,

Can you PM the contractor details, since I don't have 10 mesg posted yet, I don't have the privileges to post private mesg. I live in Bay area, CA.
                              Best,
                              Veer

Comment

• dat
                                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by veerrao
                                Hi Dat,

Can you PM the contractor details, since I don't have 10 mesg posted yet, I don't have the privileges to post private mesg. I live in Bay area, CA.
                                Best,
                                Veer
                                PM sent.

Comment

Working...