Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
    Ya gotta check everything.
    That's absolutely true, I just wanted to emphasize the uplift loads because they can be huge, and people seem to ignore them, thinking only of the weight of the system. For example, my average 16-panel system's added weight was only about 30 pounds per attach point, but the per-attach point calculated uplift using was 300 pounds. I was surprised by that.

Comment

Originally posted by sdold View Post
      That's absolutely true, I just wanted to emphasize the uplift loads because they can be huge, and people seem to ignore them, thinking only of the weight of the system. For example, my average 16-panel system's added weight was only about 30 pounds per attach point, but the per-attach point calculated uplift using was 300 pounds. I was surprised by that.
      Well, it might be true, but at this point it's just my opinion and my point as well, with the additional caveat that there are lots of other things that are also necessary design considerations that most DIYers are unaware of from bolt size and thread pitch to embedment limits in wood, to developed seismic (and yes) wind shear stress considerations, and many other things usually but not necessarily always covered by code conformance.

Comment

TundraLu
        I want to install a 4kw system on my roof in Edgewater, FL. Could you please post pictures or pdf from your dealings with the permitting? This would help me to modify my system and try to get the permit.
        Greetings, Harold

Comment

UPDATE on MY DIY Install. I PASSED inspection for both Architectural and Electrical on 1/10/2018. I was very happy with the Electrical inspector's comments. He praised the job and said, man, you did this yourself. Yes, sir, I tell him. He was like, this is cleaner than any Solar company I have seen. That brought a smile to my face. This guy was a stickler and checked EVERYTHING. He was here for most of the day. So I am blessed that he was a good guy and checked ALL my work. On 1/12/2018 WREC came out and looked at the system and swapped out my meter to a NetMeter. The Tech was more excited than me to commission the system for the 1st time. He asked me like 100 questions and didn't want to leave. So far I am super excited about the system and knowing it was done by me. I went the extra mile on penetration points for the FLashfoot system to ensure the points are perfectly sealed, also did not skimp on anything, ensured grounding was perfect to the Ironridge racking. After reading the nightmare of that person here I was like I don't want to go through that. It has rained like crazy over the past weeks as the install was taking place and I would jump in both attics to very no leaks where evident. Not one so far and fingers crossed.

So at this point, I went from my original plan of 24 panels (7Kw System) to 29 panels (9.4 kW System). Figured had the real estate and a little headroom if needed. I will keep an update here for anyone wanting any questions answered that are in the same area as me.

One of the cool things about solar is when it is raining I am making power, and when it is cloudy I am also making power. I was not expecting that and that is Amazing.

The only thing I hate is when the neighbors ask me. Hey, how much did you pay? I do not like answering that as I feel that is my business. We all make money and spend it differently. I chose to buy solar for my own reasons. People automatically want to say oh it will take you forever to get your money back. I look at them and laugh. I am like you smoke 3 packs of Newports a day and are trying to give me financial advice. haha ok.

Last edited by TundraLu; 01-25-2018, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hbrand View Post
            TundraLu
            I want to install a 4kw system on my roof in Edgewater, FL. Could you please post pictures or pdf from your dealings with the permitting? This would help me to modify my system and try to get the permit.
            Greetings, Harold
            That stuff contains my personal info so i will not post it on a public forum. Please keep in mind that whatever my AHJ office needs to see on the documents can be different than where you live. The best thing to do is go down to your local AHJ and talk to them and let the know what you intend to do. They should have no problems pointing you into the right direction.

Comment

tundralu I'll pay you to make me permit pack all i have is 10 400watt panels and a fronius if 5100 inverter.

Comment

I'll pay if someone can make my permit plans I'm in florida.

Comment

Just a note on other engineering options that are available:

Some distributors offer engineering services to their customers. I recommend Soligent which I believe will sell to anyone that sets up an account.

There is a nationwide service of engineers that work through a site called greenlancer.com that offer a range of professional solar services for a few hundred dollars
                  BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

I had good luck with Straten Solar, they charged me $ 295.- for a plan set. I bought $ 23000 worth of stuff from them. Pika and Panasonic 325

Comment

Originally posted by zues2602 View Post
                      tundralu I'll pay you to make me permit pack all i have is 10 400watt panels and a fronius if 5100 inverter.
                      Give me your email i will help you.

Comment

TundraLu, I'm in Tampa, Fl and trying to get a permit. Could you help how to make a permit plan?

Comment

Originally posted by TundraLu View Post
                          UPDATE on MY DIY Install. I PASSED inspection for both Architectural and Electrical on 1/10/2018. I was very happy with the Electrical inspector's comments. He praised the job and said, man, you did this yourself. Yes, sir, I tell him. He was like, this is cleaner than any Solar company I have seen. That brought a smile to my face. This guy was a stickler and checked EVERYTHING. He was here for most of the day. So I am blessed that he was a good guy and checked ALL my work. On 1/12/2018 WREC came out and looked at the system and swapped out my meter to a NetMeter. The Tech was more excited than me to commission the system for the 1st time. He asked me like 100 questions and didn't want to leave. So far I am super excited about the system and knowing it was done by me. I went the extra mile on penetration points for the FLashfoot system to ensure the points are perfectly sealed, also did not skimp on anything, ensured grounding was perfect to the Ironridge racking. After reading the nightmare of that person here I was like I don't want to go through that. It has rained like crazy over the past weeks as the install was taking place and I would jump in both attics to very no leaks where evident. Not one so far and fingers crossed.

So at this point, I went from my original plan of 24 panels (7Kw System) to 29 panels (9.4 kW System). Figured had the real estate and a little headroom if needed. I will keep an update here for anyone wanting any questions answered that are in the same area as me.

One of the cool things about solar is when it is raining I am making power, and when it is cloudy I am also making power. I was not expecting that and that is Amazing.

The only thing I hate is when the neighbors ask me. Hey, how much did you pay? I do not like answering that as I feel that is my business. We all make money and spend it differently. I chose to buy solar for my own reasons. People automatically want to say oh it will take you forever to get your money back. I look at them and laugh. I am like you smoke 3 packs of Newports a day and are trying to give me financial advice. haha ok.

So your POCO is WREC? I live in Brooksville and have the same POCO but have wondered what hoops I have to jump through to DIY my own system.

Comment

Originally posted by tng5090 View Post
                            TundraLu, I'm in Tampa, Fl and trying to get a permit. Could you help how to make a permit plan?
                            I live in the Tampa area and just installed a PV system on my home myself in September. And I just helped a friend install one on his house which just passed final inspection yesterday and is now waiting for TECO to install net metering.

It's a piece of cake to get a permit compaired to 4 months ago in Hillsborough county. They now do what they call over the counter permits. All you need to do is show up with your application and prints that are wet stamped (every page) and you can go home and start installing your system.
                            They will require 2 inspections, a electrical rough in and electrical final.

I did my own prints but as I suggest to my buddy to just have Castillo Engineering do the structural and electrical prints for $400.
                            Let me know if you would like to hear more details.

Comment

Originally posted by CessnaTPA View Post

I live in the Tampa area and just installed a PV system on my home myself in September. And I just helped a friend install one on his house which just passed final inspection yesterday and is now waiting for TECO to install net metering.

It's a piece of cake to get a permit compaired to 4 months ago in Hillsborough county. They now do what they call over the counter permits. All you need to do is show up with your application and prints that are wet stamped (every page) and you can go home and start installing your system.
                              They will require 2 inspections, a electrical rough in and electrical final.

I did my own prints but as I suggest to my buddy to just have Castillo Engineering do the structural and electrical prints for $400.
                              Let me know if you would like to hear more details.
                              What are the applications and costs and can I get them from Hillsborough county website?

Comment

Originally posted by tng5090 View Post

What are the applications and costs and can I get them from Hillsborough county website?
                                You can get the electrical permit off their website and you will also need to summit a letter of commencement. I don't remember the exact number but my friend only paid $150, but he installed a really small system, 4 panels with the ability of 30 in the future. He's on a budget.
                                what part of Tampa do you live in?

Comment

Working...
                                X