Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
    Ya gotta check everything.
    That's absolutely true, I just wanted to emphasize the uplift loads because they can be huge, and people seem to ignore them, thinking only of the weight of the system. For example, my average 16-panel system's added weight was only about 30 pounds per attach point, but the per-attach point calculated uplift using was 300 pounds. I was surprised by that.
    Steve Dold
    Say NO to useless over-quoting

Comment

Originally posted by sdold View Post
      That's absolutely true, I just wanted to emphasize the uplift loads because they can be huge, and people seem to ignore them, thinking only of the weight of the system. For example, my average 16-panel system's added weight was only about 30 pounds per attach point, but the per-attach point calculated uplift using was 300 pounds. I was surprised by that.
      Well, it might be true, but at this point it's just my opinion and my point as well, with the additional caveat that there are lots of other things that are also necessary design considerations that most DIYers are unaware of from bolt size and thread pitch to embedment limits in wood, to developed seismic (and yes) wind shear stress considerations, and many other things usually but not necessarily always covered by code conformance.

Comment

TundraLu
        I want to install a 4kw system on my roof in Edgewater, FL. Could you please post pictures or pdf from your dealings with the permitting? This would help me to modify my system and try to get the permit.
        Greetings, Harold

Comment

Working...
        X