X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Djole
    • Jul 2019

Originally posted by TundraLu
    Ok so after researching a bit and figuring out what equipment to go with. I have decided on the following:

1 SolarEdge 7600HD-US Inverter
    20 Panasonic HIT 325Watt Panels
    20 SolarEdge P400 Optimizers
    Iron Ridge rail and rack system for all panels.

I want to start out with 12 panels on the roof and work up to 20-24 in the future. I have access to a licensed Master Electrician in my county as he is a personal friend. I just need help getting Engineering diagram for the permitting process. Most places like Renvu and Wholesale Solar want you to buy the equipment form them. I have access to the equipment at a substantially reduced price since they sell in bulk quantity.

Can any DIY guys that have crossed this path point me in the right direction. I would rather pay someone that knows what they are doing to make the process much easier.

Thanks,
    TundraLu I'm in Tampa FL by the airport and thinking of going solar. Initially i planed with a 16 Kw system but Teco seems to give people trouble with 1 million liability insurance for a system bigger than 10 Kw. Did you setup the 9 kw system?

Comment

• TundraLu
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Djole

TundraLu I'm in Tampa FL by the airport and thinking of going solar. Initially i planed with a 16 Kw system but Teco seems to give people trouble with 1 million liability insurance for a system bigger than 10 Kw. Did you setup the 9 kw system?

Yes I ended up installing 27 panels myself. I have a 8Kw system. Yes 10Kw is Insurance required.

Comment

• Djole
        • Jul 2019

Yes I ended up installing 27 panels myself. I have a 8Kw system. Yes 10Kw is Insurance required.
        Since you have this system for some time what would you recommend should i go with up to 10Kw or more. I spend on average 2100 Kwh per month

Comment

• TundraLu
          • Oct 2017

Since you have this system for some time what would you recommend should i go with up to 10Kw or more. I spend on average 2100 Kwh per month
          Wow I would suggest making Energy improvements first and then look into solar. I used to use a lot of power and reduced it by 60% over the years and then installed solar. I over engineered my setup as i only need 5Kw to satisfy my 2700 sq ft 2 story house here in Florida. I used to pay 300 in electricity years ago and make alot of improvements like changing out my windows to double pane Argon gas Vinyl, Changed the HVAC myself to a 20 Seer system, blew in 70 bags of Insulation into my attic, and other things.

It is cheaper and better to lower the high usage of electricity than to buy solar to try and foot the bill completely. Also remember it rains a lot here so their will be a lot of days where you will barely make any power. That is where the over engineering of a system comes into play for us Florida folks. I have not paid an ounce of electricity except the monthly connect fee of 27.00 but get it ALL back in January since i am making more power than what i am using. My Electric company pays me back my excess.

How many sq feet is your house to use that much power
          How old is your house
          Windows
          HVAC
          Doors

Last edited by TundraLu; 07-30-2019, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• Djole
            • Jul 2019

Wow I would suggest making Energy improvements first and then look into solar. I used to use a lot of power and reduced it by 60% over the years and then installed solar. I over engineered my setup as i only need 5Kw to satisfy my 2700 sq ft 2 story house here in Florida. I used to pay 300 in electricity years ago and make alot of improvements like changing out my windows to double pane Argon gas Vinyl, Changed the HVAC myself to a 20 Seer system, blew in 70 bags of Insulation into my attic, and other things.

It is cheaper and better to lower the high usage of electricity than to buy solar to try and foot the bill completely. Also remember it rains a lot here so their will be a lot of days where you will barely make any power. That is where the over engineering of a system comes into play for us Florida folks. I have not paid an ounce of electricity except the monthly connect fee of 27.00 but get it ALL back in January since i am making more power than what i am using. My Electric company pays me back my excess.

How many sq feet is your house to use that much power
            How old is your house
            Windows
            HVAC
            Doors

My house is 2000 sq ft one story. I'm at Dana shores so the houses here are 50 years old. I do have new windows, new A/C but maybe the insulation in my attic is not great.
            Sorry the average is 1673 per month and we spend around 20,076 Kwh for 2018. I also have LED lights automation and sensors for lights, plus nest for the A/C.
            Average
            55.3 kwh / day
            1673 kwh / mo
            CessnaTPA said he spend $15K on his system that was 14KWh so i dont mind paying that along with improve some insulation maybe in the house.

Is it possible to get in touch with you possibly looking at your system?

Comment

• TundraLu
              • Oct 2017

My house is 2000 sq ft one story. I'm at Dana shores so the houses here are 50 years old. I do have new windows, new A/C but maybe the insulation in my attic is not great.
              Sorry the average is 1673 per month and we spend around 20,076 Kwh for 2018. I also have LED lights automation and sensors for lights, plus nest for the A/C.
              Average
              55.3 kwh / day
              1673 kwh / mo
              CessnaTPA said he spend $15K on his system that was 14KWh so i dont mind paying that along with improve some insulation maybe in the house.

Here is my email. Will leave it up for 5 mins

Last edited by TundraLu; 07-30-2019, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• Djole
                • Jul 2019

Here is my email. Will leave it up for 5 mins

Sorry i missed it
                Last edited by Djole; 07-30-2019, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• CessnaTPA
                  • Jul 2017

Average
                  55.3 kwh / day
                  1673 kwh / mo

Yeah I installed a 14kw system for $11800 after the tax break as of now it will pay for itself in 4.3 years.
                  TECO does require you to have 1 million in libility insurance and pay $250 for a tier 2 system (10kw to 100kw). Not many insurance companies will cover that high, mine did and it was less than $50 more a year. Worse case you can get a 1 mil umbrella coverage which will be around $300 a year. You will have to do the math if it would be worth it.

Comment

• TundraLu
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by CessnaTPA
                    Yeah I installed a 14kw system for $11800 after the tax break as of now it will pay for itself in 4.3 years.
                    TECO does require you to have 1 million in libility insurance and pay $250 for a tier 2 system (10kw to 100kw). Not many insurance companies will cover that high, mine did and it was less than $50 more a year. Worse case you can get a 1 mil umbrella coverage which will be around $300 a year. You will have to do the math if it would be worth it.
                    What type of Inverter did you install? Type of Railing? and type of Panels to get 14Kw. I am curious.

Comment

• CessnaTPA
                      • Jul 2017

What type of Inverter did you install? Type of Railing? and type of Panels to get 14Kw. I am curious.
                      Iron ridge railing, enphase IQ7+ inverters, 39 LG 365watt panels.

Comment

• TundraLu
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by CessnaTPA

Iron ridge railing, enphase IQ7+ inverters, 39 LG 365watt panels.
                        Can i email you somehow? I would like your contact info.

Comment

• CessnaTPA
                          • Jul 2017

cessnatpa@aol.com

Comment

• ItsFriz
                            • Jun 2020

@CessnaTPA I'm just starting a project in Hillsborough and so far the permitting process has been a little...too easy? Received my permit and all clear to start but haven't turned in any drawings or given the building department any documents other than the NOC, application and owner/builder release. Do you know if you need mechanical and electrical drawings prior to starting rough in? Also someone in the forum said prints need to be "wet stamped", do you know if that is a PE stamp, or is the inspector sign off if everything looks good? For reference max span is 48" on my project however the mounts have no documentation that is stamped or contains a Florida product approval, so I'm pretty surprised I got this far without giving anything to the county.
                            Last edited by ItsFriz; 06-18-2020, 09:12 PM.

Comment

• ItsFriz
                              • Jun 2020

Also, if you don't mind me asking, any idea what the PSF rating you needed for your panels are? Ironridge's documentation says Exposure B @ 150mph (Hillsborough is 140), is 20 PSF uplift...yet I've had a solar installer say you won't get sign off on anything less than 4,000 pa (83.5 PSF) and another person say it needs a 4000 pa rating but that's after a safety factor of 1.5 so the panel requires a 6,000 pa uplift rating...but he could have been referring to places in Key West or Miami. Info I got seems a little overkill

Comment

• ItsFriz
                                • Jun 2020

Got a rough-in inspection scheduled for tomorrow. Still haven't been asked by the county to provide any documentation regarding the products I'm using or PE stamped drawings. Can someone tell me if this is something I have to worry about? Logic says no, if they wanted it they'd ask for it...but nerves say this should have been done and they're going to be like what the hell, where's your stuff, here's a stop work order, we're never going to pass you

Comment

Working...