X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tng5090
    • May 2018

Originally posted by CessnaTPA

You can get the electrical permit off their website and you will also need to summit a letter of commencement. I don't remember the exact number but my friend only paid $150, but he installed a really small system, 4 panels with the ability of 30 in the future. He's on a budget.
    what part of Tampa do you live in?
    I'm in Carrollwood.

Comment

• CessnaTPA
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by tng5090

I'm in Carrollwood.
      I'm in Riverview but my buddy lives in Carolwood. If you're interested in seeing the job at my buddies I'm sure he would be willing to show you and talk your ear off about solar. He's the one who got me into it . Just let me know.

Comment

• tng5090
        • May 2018

I'm in Riverview but my buddy lives in Carolwood. If you're interested in seeing the job at my buddies I'm sure he would be willing to show you and talk your ear off about solar. He's the one who got me into it . Just let me know.
        I'll be glad to talk to him. Where do you get your panels and inverters in Tampa?

Comment

• CessnaTPA
          • Jul 2017

I'll be glad to talk to him. Where do you get your panels and inverters in Tampa?
          I bought majority of the equipment from CED Green tech in Sarasota. They had really good prices, better than I could find online. http://www.cedgreentechse.com/

Comment

• tng5090
            • May 2018

I bought majority of the equipment from CED Green tech in Sarasota. They had really good prices, better than I could find online. http://www.cedgreentechse.com/
            I just contacted them and asked for Panasonic N330 and Enphase Mirco Inverters and they do have good prices.

Comment

• CessnaTPA
              • Jul 2017

I just contacted them and asked for Panasonic N330 and Enphase Mirco Inverters and they do have good prices.
              Yeah they have a huge warehouse and inventory of everything needed. They cater to contractors but will sell to the public. I dealt with Josh who was very helpful.

Comment

• eyyopomps
                • Feb 2019

TundraLu Did you have to get the plans you created stamped by an engineer? I just purchased 12 305W Sunpower panels with a Keco string inverter. I'm in New Smyrna area, getting ready to try and attempt to file the permit with Volusia County. My neighbor is a master electrician but not a solar contractor.. hopefully I can still use him as he said he'd help. Was hoping to use channel strut mounts like many do online, but I doubt they have the wind rating I would need, so i guess ill have to buy the iron ridge ones.. My house is brand new, so I still have all the copies of the load testing the truss company did on each truss.
                'm glad I found this forum with others that did a diy solar array in FL. I was getting worried I had just wasted a bunch of money on panels and inverter that id never get to install.

Comment

• TundraLu
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by eyyopomps
                  TundraLu Did you have to get the plans you created stamped by an engineer? I just purchased 12 305W Sunpower panels with a Keco string inverter. I'm in New Smyrna area, getting ready to try and attempt to file the permit with Volusia County. My neighbor is a master electrician but not a solar contractor.. hopefully I can still use him as he said he'd help. Was hoping to use channel strut mounts like many do online, but I doubt they have the wind rating I would need, so i guess ill have to buy the iron ridge ones.. My house is brand new, so I still have all the copies of the load testing the truss company did on each truss.
                  'm glad I found this forum with others that did a diy solar array in FL. I was getting worried I had just wasted a bunch of money on panels and inverter that id never get to install.
                  I used ALL IronRidge mounting since where i am at in Florida is strict due to Hurricane laws. If you need any help I can point you the right direction.

Comment

• eyyopomps
                    • Feb 2019

Thanks for the response! I'm sure Volusia county probably has the same or similar. Did you still have to get the plans you created on solardesigntool.com stamped/ certified by an engineer? I found a few local placed to build the permit package but theyre charging $850, so if I can avoid that paying more for a rated rack wont be so bad..

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

An aside: Who did you buy the panels from ? Are they new ? In the past and as far as I know, S.P. doesn't let it's dealers sell S.P. equipment to DIYers, but maybe things have changed.

NOMB, but maybe worth a check ?

Comment

• eyyopomps
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by J.P.M.

An aside: Who did you buy the panels from ? Are they new ? In the past and as far as I know, S.P. doesn't let it's dealers sell S.P. equipment to DIYers, but maybe things have changed.

NOMB, but maybe worth a check ?
                        I purchased them used.

Comment

• eyyopomps
                          • Feb 2019

Hopefully thats not an issue..

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

I purchased them used.
                            Understood. Do you know that PV installs require new, that is, unused equipment to qualify for the federal tax credit ? Or is that not a consideration for this application ?

Comment

• eyyopomps
                              • Feb 2019

Wouldnt I be able to still obtain the credit for all equipment purchased new? I got the panels for $100 a piece. and the inverter new for $400, so I figured even if I dont qualify the cost to do this myself will be much lower than having a company put a new array in. I figured with with the remainder of the stuff I still need the cost will be around 2500 for a ~3.5kw system so payback period should be pretty low.

Comment

• eyyopomps
                                • Feb 2019

I'm new to this forum, so im not sure if it notifies OP, so i'll tag you and post again in case.. @TundraLu Thanks for the response! I'm sure Volusia county probably has the same or similar. Did you still have to get the plans you created on solardesigntool.com stamped/ certified by an engineer? I found a few local placed to build the permit package but they're charging $850, so if I can avoid that paying more for a rated rack wont be so bad..

I started a project on the site, but they don't have my panel as an option, so i'm waiting for them to update the specs for that. Otherwise the permit package seems pretty straight forward, hopefully I get it right the first time so I don't waste money on creating a new packet.

Comment

Working...