DIY Install in Florida. Need help with Engineering diagrams for Permitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TundraLu View Post
    Material is being dropped off from freight in a few. I am excited. haha I will inspect all the panels to ensure everything is good.
    Make sure you do that and document with pics on the truck if there is any damage. And do not sign off on the wavier if there is any damage. My seller told me specifically it becomes much more complicated to prove once you have signed off and the driver has left with no proof of damage in shipping.
    285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

Explore the Ironridge site or call them- many times the OEM has stamped Engineering letters on file for various states but of course you have to use their complete racking system. Be sure to check the tilt angle etc to match up with yours. Some of them sel the letter but most time I found it as a free pdf download.

Comment

Originally posted by Matrix View Post

Make sure you do that and document with pics on the truck if there is any damage. And do not sign off on the wavier if there is any damage. My seller told me specifically it becomes much more complicated to prove once you have signed off and the driver has left with no proof of damage in shipping.
        Everything arrived perfectly. Went up on the roof and mounted a Guardian Fall Protection Anchor on the ridge to work safely as my house is 2 story. Man that thing works awesome. I can now walk anywhere on the roof with confidence. Before i was crawling around hahaha.
        Last edited by TundraLu; 11-17-2017, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Everything arrived perfectly. Went up on the roof and mounted a Guardian Fall Protection Anchor on the ridge to work safely as my house is 2 story. Man that thing works awesome. I can now walk anywhere on the roof with confidence. Before i was crawling around hahaha.
          What part of FL are you in? I'm in the Tampa area.

Comment

Awesome. Sounds like you are well on your way. Good time of year in FL to do an install. Oddly, the 1st few weeks in Oct in FL was so hot this year when I did mine I nearly expired.
            285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

I used the IronRidge racking setup for my 24-panel ground mount and was very impressed with how solid everything is. You are right that it's not cheap, and the poles were a huge pain to set, but I don't worry about it now.

Roof mount will probably be a lot easier, and somewhat cheaper. (Getting eight 2" holes dug 4 feet deep involved rental costs and paying a buddy to do his Bobcat magic, and the concrete was pricey, too.)

Comment

Originally posted by BackwoodsEE View Post
                I used the IronRidge racking setup for my 24-panel ground mount and was very impressed with how solid everything is. You are right that it's not cheap, and the poles were a huge pain to set, but I don't worry about it now.

Roof mount will probably be a lot easier, and somewhat cheaper. (Getting eight 2" holes dug 4 feet deep involved rental costs and paying a buddy to do his Bobcat magic, and the concrete was pricey, too.)
                Just make sure the roof is strong enough to handle the uplift and the bolting to the roof won't be torn out in a wind event. Uplift (and compression by wind forces for that matter) is a lot different and treated differently than dead weight alone.

Comment

Originally posted by BackwoodsEE View Post

Yes this weather is good. I just didn't want to encroach to close to the Holidays . I see the permit isin the final review phase. Man the prices here for a permit is not cheap. So far it looks like 500.00. Hopefully it gets approved by Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by CessnaTPA View Post

What part of FL are you in? I'm in the Tampa area.
                    I am in Land O lakes by the new Premium Outlet mall.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Just make sure the roof is strong enough to handle the uplift and the bolting to the roof won't be torn out in a wind event. Uplift (and compression by wind forces for that matter) is a lot different and treated differently than dead weight alone.
                      My friend that is a GSC is coming over to look inside my attic to see if i can brace the roof better if needed. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

My friend that is a GSC is coming over to look inside my attic to see if i can brace the roof better if needed. Thanks for the idea.
                        You're most welcome. NOMB, but if you have building codes that, among other things, follow ASCE requirements for wind and other external loadings, it'll be more than an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

You're most welcome. NOMB, but if you have building codes that, among other things, follow ASCE requirements for wind and other external loadings, it'll be more than an idea.
                          Ok Got the email to pick up my permit. Yes i will get in the attic and definitely add bracing to each rafter since i will feel safer knowing i have added bracing for the added weight.
                          Last edited by TundraLu; 11-19-2017, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Ok Got the email to pick up my permit. Yes i will get in the attic and definitely add bracing to each rafter since i will feel safer knowing i have added bracing for the added weight.
                            One more time: it's about conformance to any required building codes and proper (safe) design to meet possible imposed loads, not simply throwing wood at structural members.

The added weight is probably peanuts compared to the forces and moments added by the compressive, uplift and some shear forces imposed by the wind, or other external forces. Maybe your locality has no codes, or they re not as strenuous as some places, but either way, the forces will be present and ought to be understood and dealt with in the design.

Comment

...i will feel safer knowing i have added bracing for the added weight.
                              The thing you need to be sure of is whether or not the attachments can withstand the uplift forces.

Comment

Originally posted by sdold View Post
                                The thing you need to be sure of is whether or not the attachments can withstand the uplift forces.
                                As well as all other additionally imposed forces and moments besides and including uplift from any additions to a structure such as PV equipment, in the limit, from the ground up, as well as the anchorage to the ground.

Example: Not usual or perhaps likely, and maybe/probably a bit absurd, but only to show as an example - adequate or even way overdesigned fixation to a flimsy structure won't do much good if the structure collapses or blows away in a wind event.

Ya gotta check everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X