Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!! I am BANNED for having Solar! Triangular Module??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

update: the former contractor whom could not build to code is suing me for defamation because I am telling the truth and the city is still trying to prosecute me for solar?

www.burnsvilleantisolar.us.

Originally posted by cebury View Post
    Everyone taalking about suing and going abovemtheir heads, this guy is desperate and out of time.

Here is a question for the group: 1) What is the cheapest CSP he can buy with the same dimensions of his current and 2) can he take out the innards, angle grinder the aluminum frame and use paint or even plunk back in some disabled cells?

I think his real question is how can he do this safely, like by this weekend.
    Thank you....

I contacted the solar manufacturer Canadian solar... they said they don't make this and that yes Sharp did 10 years ago, hence you find old modules on ebay but yes too spendy at $250 or so and then they won't match nor work so the other option is make or DIY?

Canadian solar ( the make of the array) said: I think the best thing I can do is send you some frame samples and you can cut the shape you need and make your own faux laminate and cells to satisfy your inspector. Then take it down when you think it
    Last edited by nrgized; 04-05-2018, 04:54 PM.
    7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

Originally posted by nrgized View Post

Thank you....

I contacted the solar manufacturer Canadian solar... they said they don't make this and that yes Sharp did 10 years ago, hence you find old modules on ebay but yes too spendy at $250 or so and then they won't match nor work so the other option is make or DIY?

Canadian solar ( the make of the array) said: I think the best thing I can do is send you some frame samples and you can cut the shape you need and make your own faux laminate and cells to satisfy your inspector. Then take it down when you think it
      Another possible option is to take a good pic of the existing panel cell pattern, take it to a local sign shop, tell them what you are trying to do and have them print a few samples on adhesive vinyl (to try to get the colors correct). Take the samples home and compare to the existing, make notes, have the sign co adjust the colors and pattern size again and have some more samples printed until the pattern matches exactly. Some small samples shouldn't too cost much unless they try to charge you for layout each time or something silly. If you are wondering about needing samples, the white balance of your camera along with the color printing process makes it highly unlikely to match the first time.

Once the colors match have them print enough to cover your areas like wallpaper. Stick it on some masonite and then frame it with the CS frame samples (if you must). Aluminum channel from home depot may work just as well and may be cheaper.
      Last edited by DrLumen; 10-28-2017, 06:54 AM.

Comment

The idea of fake panels seems flawed to me.

1.) Even if the fakes/copies are good, they will weather differently that the originals, and when they do, not only fool no one, but maybe draw more and unwanted attention.
        2.) They will need to be designed/checked for wind, etc.
        3.) The city will still need to review/signoff.

Then add what sounds like has become a toxic environment for finding a solution to this situation, and I'd think twice about it.

Question to Nrgized: Does the city require review/approval for home improvements including PV ? Sounds like it, but it also sounds like you didn't get the project approved as submitted and began without approvals ? Seems to me if you have such review/approval and you completed the project according to what was submitted and eventually (I'd assume) approved, I'd expect none of this would have happened. But it did. Conclusions: You didn't get approval as submitted. Or, what was built didn't conform to what was submitted and approved. Or... ?
        Last edited by J.P.M.; 10-28-2017, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

1.) Even if the fakes/copies are good, they will weather differently that the originals, and when they do, not only fool no one, but maybe draw more and unwanted attention.

Then add what sounds like has become a toxic environment for finding a solution to this situation, and I'd think twice about it.

Question to Nrgized: Does the city require review/approval for home improvements including PV ? Sounds like it, but it also sounds like you didn't get the project approved as submitted and began without approvals ? Seems to me if you have such review/approval and you completed the project according to what was submitted and eventually (I'd assume) approved, I'd expect none of this would have happened. But it did. Conclusions: You didn't get approval as submitted. Or, what was built didn't conform to what was submitted and approved. Or... ?
          IMO it sounds like the city has the upper hand and can reject just about anything the OP puts up on the roof. The requirements seem very vague which is easy to just say no and then "guess again" to a different solution.

Again maybe not the fastest solution but getting input from a local tv station may ramp up support for the OP against the hard line city requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

IMO it sounds like the city has the upper hand and can reject just about anything the OP puts up on the roof. The requirements seem very vague which is easy to just say no and then "guess again" to a different solution.

Again maybe not the fastest solution but getting input from a local tv station may ramp up support for the OP against the hard line city requirements.
            Yea, with as much as has been presented here, on the face of it, it does seem vague. So vague that it seems to me it would have been challenged before this.

There's usually 2 sides to a story, but I'm kind of doubtful we'll ever hear the other side.

It may be that everyone is so dug in on the issue that resolution will be too difficult for a fair resolution, or at least one all parties can at least tolerate.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Those are excellent points.

Comment

I wonder if the city would have less issues with the installation if the rails hadn't been left so long? I understand they have to end on a truss/rafter, but they appear to be way longer than necessary.

Comment

I talked to the solar guy I am working with and he hasn't personally done any installations in Burnsville. He is aware that Burnsville has some screwy rules around solar only because he has friends in Burnsville. His suggestion was to have someone fabricate triangular panels that look like solar panels which has already been suggested here. Sorry this isn't more help.

Comment

Originally posted by reader2580 View Post
                    I talked to the solar guy I am working with and he hasn't personally done any installations in Burnsville. He is aware that Burnsville has some screwy rules around solar only because he has friends in Burnsville. His suggestion was to have someone fabricate triangular panels that look like solar panels which has already been suggested here. Sorry this isn't more help.
                    I'd suggest running that idea past the municipality and getting a written OK before spending much time/effort on it.

Comment

Originally posted by nrgized View Post

Thank you for your reply....

Yes. I have looked at eBay - sure Sharp tried this idea before the integrated and solar shingles hit market but it never took off and all were discontinued... also it has to match my Canadian solar modules on each end.

Burnsville, MN - only city requiring triangular solar modules or faux to meet the shape and slope of the roof and be similar in kind and not to detract..... since this is outdated it bans me and anyone with a hip roof...not gable from installing and operating solar....(ridiculous) this was brought about after a initial review by the city for a permit by my contractor and then construction began and then the city came back stating end pieces to meet code. The contractor sues me and I counter-sue and the jury say's the contractor built a working system even though it won't meet code so pay for the rest of the install. This city won't budge. I tried for a year going to worksession, city council meeting's lawyers... I really feel the city needs a class action lawsuit as they have sale-proofed my home and banned solar for any other homeowner. Also they are extorting homeowners with a $1750 6 month condition use permit to review there project for approval. Mine, you guessed it won't meet code until triangles are found or made or appear out of thin air...I am here looking for any help or understanding as these people in local government have no clue. Also, my state requires my electric company to buy energy for solar producing consumers as myself which are grid tied. Also, the whole district 191 just approved solar projects for all of there buildings. I am just a man against a city with a dream.

https://www.quora.com/How-much-harde...to-rectangular

Please list any DIY websites to help me fabricate triangular solar modules to put on my end racks which are already extended.

Thank you for your help as I am my family appreciate it.
                      Sharp 72 Watt Triangular Module ND-72ELUF - NEW

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sharp-72-Wa...38.m2548.l4275

Comment

Sounds like you have already spent more in fees and endless hours of your time than it would have taken to just make some fake panels.

Go buy a replacement panel for each non-rectangular piece you need. Take them apart, using an aluminum blade on your table saw cut the frame with proper angles to make the shape you need. If the glass is unbroken, take it to a glass shop and have them cut it to your needs if you don't have a glass cutter or have them make some tempered glass to the size you need. Use a wet tile saw and cut the innards of the panel and backing. Insulate the cut edges - bead of silicon, electrical tape, whatever. Put it back together, tack weld the new frame. Now you have one that looks identical, exact same frame, etc - it is just completely fake and for appearance only. Mount it, repeat for everyone one you need. Call for inspection. Or you can continue to bang your head against the endless rock of your city...

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

www.burnsvilleantisolar.us
                          7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

Originally posted by cebury View Post

Those are excellent points.
                            that has been my point for 2 years...... www.burnsvilleantisolar.us
                            7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

So what happened at the meeting?

Comment

Originally posted by Dsspro View Post
                                So what happened at the meeting?
                                Watch it. www.burnsvilleantisolar.us
                                7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

Working...
                                X