X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nrgized
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by J.P.M.

After all that, and all the angst the city seems to have about solar, it may come down to a choice of either accepting reality and doing without solar, or moving.
    I have tried all of that... so here is now where I sit... I can't sell... the home is sale-proofed... I need to meet code just to sell. The remove and re-roof would be 20k and then what to do with the over thousands in solar equipment....?

My only choice is to be in the fake solar triangular module business now..? This is a ridiculous thing and I am stuck holding the bag... I do want to move and not pay taxes here anymore but how can I with this issue?

The only option is to escrow the idea into closing and a potential sale which ruins my dream of a net zero home.

But all your three options are correct and thank you for the quick conclusion.. I just need more details to accomplish this...thanks for all your replies and I appreciate you!
    Last edited by nrgized; 10-27-2017, 10:28 AM.
    7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

• azdave
      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by AzRoute66
      ...I don't read anything into that which requires triangular panels...
      "Placement of panels should be uniform and the slope and proportions of the array shall match the shape and proportions of the roof."

That wording is just vague enough to ban probably any solar install if they felt like it.

Looks like it is time to square up your roof!

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
      6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• nrgized
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by NEOH
        Triangular PV Panel for sale on e-bay.

Please name the City and State that has this regulation.

It would not be difficult to fabricate a faux panel with non-functional cells inside.
        There are many DIY PV Panel websites
        Thank you for your reply....

Yes. I have looked at eBay - sure Sharp tried this idea before the integrated and solar shingles hit market but it never took off and all were discontinued... also it has to match my Canadian solar modules on each end.

Burnsville, MN - only city requiring triangular solar modules or faux to meet the shape and slope of the roof and be similar in kind and not to detract..... since this is outdated it bans me and anyone with a hip roof...not gable from installing and operating solar....(ridiculous) this was brought about after a initial review by the city for a permit by my contractor and then construction began and then the city came back stating end pieces to meet code. The contractor sues me and I counter-sue and the jury say's the contractor built a working system even though it won't meet code so pay for the rest of the install. This city won't budge. I tried for a year going to worksession, city council meeting's lawyers... I really feel the city needs a class action lawsuit as they have sale-proofed my home and banned solar for any other homeowner. Also they are extorting homeowners with a $1750 6 month condition use permit to review there project for approval. Mine, you guessed it won't meet code until triangles are found or made or appear out of thin air...I am here looking for any help or understanding as these people in local government have no clue. Also, my state requires my electric company to buy energy for solar producing consumers as myself which are grid tied. Also, the whole district 191 just approved solar projects for all of there buildings. I am just a man against a city with a dream.

Answer (1 of 5): I, too, love these triangular panels, but the price pressures in the solar industry are pretty intense, so any added costs have been eliminated by most manufacturers. These panels used to be offered by Sharp, I believe, but I don't think anyone makes them anymore. Not only do...

Please list any DIY websites to help me fabricate triangular solar modules to put on my end racks which are already extended.

Thank you for your help as I am my family appreciate it.

7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

It all means your city does not believe in RE, and made a requirement making it impossible for you to put up solar. That way they do not have to pay you 1 dime in subsidies and be a burden to your neighbors. You are in Dink Land, where you are dark 3 months of the year, and summer is one day long on the 4th of July. The other 364 days are winter.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• nrgized
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by azdave

"Placement of panels should be uniform and the slope and proportions of the array shall match the shape and proportions of the roof."

That wording is just vague enough to ban probably any solar install if they felt like it.

Looks like it is time to square up your roof!
            Yes. you are correct! that is what they used to ask for the triangular pieces and they won't budge....bingo.

I wish I could square up the roof to fit nicely into a gable roof but my roof is hip.... here is the problem:

https://www.quora.com/How-much-harde...to-rectangular

I can't sell and move because the house is banned now or sale-proofed...so I need to find a solution. The system is online after I paid off my local city $1750 for a 6 month permit to use it while they just denied me stating I could match triangular solar modules to the existing array. Again, has to match, hold up to weather, the rails are extended already....

i.e. (poly-carbonate sheet or Plexiglass over a diy cell on a frame board or something.. it has to be aesthetically pleasing...
            7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

• nrgized
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Sunking
              It all means your city does not believe in RE, and made a requirement making it impossible for you to put up solar. That way they do not have to pay you 1 dime in subsidies and be a burden to your neighbors. You are in Dink Land, where you are dark 3 months of the year, and summer is one day long on the 4th of July. The other 364 days are winter.
              I agree... that is the problem.. the whole city or district just went solar: http://www.isd191.org/isd191/news/ta...s#.WfNI-GhSzIU - they just are banning home owners..

But the system works great in winter... the photons are stronger, the angle of the sun and no tree leaves really do help... plus facing south...on a hillside: only problem banned for any homeowner with a hip roof...

Answer (1 of 5): I, too, love these triangular panels, but the price pressures in the solar industry are pretty intense, so any added costs have been eliminated by most manufacturers. These panels used to be offered by Sharp, I believe, but I don't think anyone makes them anymore. Not only do...

7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

• nrgized
                • Oct 2017

I agree but the city does believe in RE: http://www.isd191.org/isd191/news/ta...s#.WfNI-GhSzIU

but the problem for homeowners with a hip roof - https://www.quora.com/How-much-harde...to-rectangular

*they ban the tax paying homeowners from having solar by outdated ordinance.

7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

• nrgized
                  • Oct 2017

They do believe in solar as the whole district got it http://www.isd191.org/isd191/news/20...y#.WfNLZGhSzIU

but not for homeowners with hip roofs...

The system receives maximum photons in winter with no leaves and the angle of the fusion reactor in the sky.

Last edited by nrgized; 10-27-2017, 11:07 AM.
                  7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by nrgized

They do believe in solar as the whole district got it http://www.isd191.org/isd191/news/20...y#.WfNLZGhSzIU

but not for homeowners with hip roofs...

The system receives maximum photons in winter with no leaves and the angle of the fusion reactor in the sky.

Kind of late for this situation, and maybe a bit off topic, but back in the early '80's I had a thought while dealing with a rather intractable and particular design situation of looking at ways to possibly improve the packing efficiency of some cooling tower internals for an unusual situation and design, that there might be something to be gained by looking at solar devices on a roof, particularly and for irregular roofs as a tessellation problem. Later, with more spare time, I looked into the idea that if solar panels took two shapes - "darts" and "kites" - and so accomplish a form of Penrose tiling - a greater packing efficiency of panels on a roof might be possible while perhaps improving aesthetics in more than few applications.

Turns out that at the time, solar thermal being dominant, the idea was impractical for fluid-mechanical and mfg. reasons. PV may allow some applications for such shapes.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

• DrLumen
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2017

Maybe call canadian solar to see if they have some defective panels you can buy for cheap (maybe free + pay for shipping). If so, cut them to shape (hopefully it's not tempered glass) and use some extruded aluminum channel from home depot on the bare side(s). Throw them up, sell the house and tell the town to go stuff itself!

Comment

• nrgized
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by DrLumen
                        Maybe call canadian solar to see if they have some defective panels you can buy for cheap (maybe free + pay for shipping). If so, cut them to shape (hopefully it's not tempered glass) and use some extruded aluminum channel from home depot on the bare side(s). Throw them up, sell the house and tell the town to go stuff itself!
                        Thank you I have thought of this too.... I have no clue how to safely or effectively cut a solar module and I tried they are not into that kind of fake solar business like my city is.. I will try to call them again.

Thank you so much for your suggestions...
                        7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

• jflorey2
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by AzRoute66
                          I'm no lawyer, but I sometimes play one on the internet, and I don't read anything into that which requires triangular panels, or requires any SES. To me, it says that IF you use SES, this is how it will be done and what applies to it. I wonder what a real lawyer might say.
                          Agreed. Nowhere does anything you posted require triangular panels. Who is telling you you need them?

Comment

• azdave
                            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by jflorey2
                            Nowhere does anything you posted require triangular panels. Who is telling you you need them?
                            There is no rule that specifically says the panels need to be triangles.The city has interpreted the rules to mean that the panels must match the angled lines of his hip-style roof so therefore, a triangle panel is the only solution in their view. The great and powerful city is all knowing. The person who questions the great and powerful city is often screwed because no matter how illogical the decision, the city will not back down (unless you fund a new wing on the children's hospital).

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                            6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• jflorey2
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by azdave
                              There is no rule that specifically says the panels need to be triangles.The city has interpreted the rules to mean that the panels must match the angled lines of his hip-style roof so therefore, a triangle panel is the only solution in their view.
                              In such a case I'd get a licensed structural engineer familiar with solar installations to draw up plans for the array on the roof, along with a note that the installation meets best practices for matching the architecture of the house. That way it's not just some guy arguing with the city - it's the city's word against a licensed expert in the field.

Comment

• AzRoute66
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2017

Originally posted by nrgized
                                Trust me. I have went the court route, the city route, the mayor, etc.. for two years...
                                You 'went the court route', for two years? It sounds like you went the city council route for two years. The 'reasonable route' for two years. I think it is time for "nrgized vs Burnsville" to get on the real docket, start with the smallest court that applies, small claims or JP or whatever, that leaves room to file with the state if you fail.

I think here in my community I would hit up the Planning and Zoning Commission first - but I don't know how it works there, and it sounds like you have probably already been there anyway.

This may be a first, I don't recall urging someone to sue someone before.

Comment

Working...