X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nrgized
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by AzRoute66
    You 'went the court route', for two years? It sounds like you went the city council route for two years. The 'reasonable route' for two years. I think it is time for "nrgized vs Burnsville" to get on the real docket, start with the smallest court that applies, small claims or JP or whatever, that leaves room to file with the state if you fail.

I think here in my community I would hit up the Planning and Zoning Commission first - but I don't know how it works there, and it sounds like you have probably already been there anyway.

This may be a first, I don't recall urging someone to sue someone before.
    Trust me I want too but I will lose to the city and the existing outdated ordinance...they are now telling me to go up in the snow and put on fake pieces or face criminal penalties and my house is sale-proofed.
    7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

• nrgized
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by jflorey2
      Agreed. Nowhere does anything you posted require triangular panels. Who is telling you you need them?
      "Placement of panels should be uniform and the slope and proportions of the array shall match the shape and proportions of the roof."

They are forcing compliance to an outdated rule that does not make sense....
      7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

• nrgized
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by azdave

There is no rule that specifically says the panels need to be triangles.The city has interpreted the rules to mean that the panels must match the angled lines of his hip-style roof so therefore, a triangle panel is the only solution in their view. The great and powerful city is all knowing. The person who questions the great and powerful city is often screwed because no matter how illogical the decision, the city will not back down (unless you fund a new wing on the children's hospital).

Yes you are correct exactly....

"Placement of panels should be uniform and the slope and proportions of the array shall match the shape and proportions of the roof."

They are telling me to comply soon or else.... it's snowing here now....

So my holiday's will be including designing fake solar pieces to comply with an outdated solar ordinance...can't sell and move because of this... I need help..

Do I sue and wait years with there appeals, meeting's and crap or cut wood and spray paint and put on next to it...

Here is what they wrote to me from code compliance:

"We cannot tell you where to get these faux panels or who can make them for you. We cannot recommend companies or individuals per our policy. That is research you will need to complete on your own. "

Christopher Forslund| Licensing & Code Enforcement Coord.
        100 Civic Center Parkway | Burnsville, MN | 55337
        952-895-4466 (office) | 952-895-4512 (fax) | www.burnsville.org
        7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

• nrgized
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by azdave

There is no rule that specifically says the panels need to be triangles.The city has interpreted the rules to mean that the panels must match the angled lines of his hip-style roof so therefore, a triangle panel is the only solution in their view. The great and powerful city is all knowing. The person who questions the great and powerful city is often screwed because no matter how illogical the decision, the city will not back down (unless you fund a new wing on the children's hospital).

Yes, you are correct.

They are telling me this:

"We cannot tell you where to get these faux panels or who can make them for you. We cannot recommend companies or individuals per our policy. That is research you will need to complete on your own. "

Answer (1 of 5): I, too, love these triangular panels, but the price pressures in the solar industry are pretty intense, so any added costs have been eliminated by most manufacturers. These panels used to be offered by Sharp, I believe, but I don't think anyone makes them anymore. Not only do...
          7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

• AzRoute66
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2017

If you are unwilling to take them to court yourself, and don't find the means for a class action, I guess the only thing you can do is buy some aluminum and black tinted plexiglass and a gallon of glue.

Comment

• nrgized
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by AzRoute66
              If you are unwilling to take them to court yourself, and don't find the means for a class action, I guess the only thing you can do is buy some aluminum and black tinted plexiglass and a gallon of glue.
              Everyone tells me not to challenge the city... but I have no choice...they are sticking me with an issue that is outdated and ridiculous....

I stuck with either sue the city and go round and round and they stop at the ordinance is what it is or I try to make fake panels to comply and they won't tell me what will work but to just come up with ideas???

Yes...we are thinking the same thing...the only question is what do I do??? What is best.....
              7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Have you tried to go over the heads of the city and talk to someone in your state legislature?

There should be someone that is an RE advocate and maybe they can intervene or come up with a change to the city ordinance.

Comment

• cebury
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2011

Everyone taalking about suing and going abovemtheir heads, this guy is desperate and out of time.

Here is a question for the group: 1) What is the cheapest CSP he can buy with the same dimensions of his current and 2) can he take out the innards, angle grinder the aluminum frame and use paint or even plunk back in some disabled cells?

I think his real question is how can he do this safely, like by this weekend.

Comment

• AzRoute66
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2017

Whats wrong with the black plexiglass I suggested? From the curb you can't see the silicon.

Comment

• reader2580
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Sunking
                      It all means your city does not believe in RE, and made a requirement making it impossible for you to put up solar. That way they do not have to pay you 1 dime in subsidies and be a burden to your neighbors. You are in Dink Land, where you are dark 3 months of the year, and summer is one day long on the 4th of July. The other 364 days are winter.
                      Minnesota is not that cold especially with climate change. It was 70 degrees here earlier in the week.

Comment

• reader2580
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2017

I know a guy who installs solar in the Minneapolis metro area. I can ask him if he has ever installed in Burnsville and dealt with this issue.

Why would you have installed a solar system if you planned to move? (Maybe you didn't plan to move before this whole fiasco.)

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by cebury
                          Everyone taalking about suing and going abovemtheir heads, this guy is desperate and out of time.

Here is a question for the group: 1) What is the cheapest CSP he can buy with the same dimensions of his current and 2) can he take out the innards, angle grinder the aluminum frame and use paint or even plunk back in some disabled cells?

I think his real question is how can he do this safely, like by this weekend.
                          The problem is that the city has not provided exactly what they will pass so any DIY panel or faux panel installation may just end up costing the OP even more money and still not get the problem resolved.

Comment

• AzRoute66
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle

The problem is that the city has not provided exactly what they will pass so any DIY panel or faux panel installation may just end up costing the OP even more money and still not get the problem resolved.
                            That hit the nail squarely on the head. It is now an antagonistic issue.

Comment

• cebury
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by SunEagle
                              Very true and they likely wont at this point since he has become somewhat of a thorn. He wont know until he makes his first attempts at it, hence he is trying DIY since off the shelf doesnt exist.

So I reread his posts.... One side of his posts sound like he is about to crap his pants if he hears a knock on his door, if he isnt up on his snow covered roof by tonight fixing it, and the other side is asking for advice about lawsuits like he has all the time in the world.
                              Last edited by cebury; 10-27-2017, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• reader2580
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jan 2017

I am on the other end of the Minneapolis metro area in a different city and my biggest problem has been the electrical inspector would not allow me to do the electrical part of the solar installation myself. The city did not require any building permit or fees to put solar panels on roof of detached garage.

Comment

Working...