X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nrgized
    • Oct 2017

Help!! I am BANNED for having Solar! Triangular Module??

Currently my city bans me for having solar. They require triangular solar modules to complete my array or I face many penalties. I need help on how to construct faux triangular solar modules.

i.e. maybe poly-carbonate sheet or plexiglass. Framing...and or vinyl pic underneath. I need something cost effective or an ideas. Sharp made this idea ten years ago but that is outdated and so is my city ordinance.

7.4 kW Grid-Tied
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Hello nrgized and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

Please do not flood this forum with multiple posts or you will be considered a spammer and banned from here.

Comment

• sensij
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2014

Would you post a link to the ordinance? Sharing the exact requirement will probably generate more useful suggestions.
      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• NEOH
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2010

Triangular PV Panel for sale on e-bay.

Please name the City and State that has this regulation.

It would not be difficult to fabricate a faux panel with non-functional cells inside.
        There are many DIY PV Panel websites
        Last edited by NEOH; 10-26-2017, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• nrgized
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by NEOH
          Triangular PV Panel for sale on e-bay.

Please name the City and State that has this regulation.

It would not be difficult to fabricate a faux panel with non-functional cells inside.
          There are many DIY PV Panel websites
          Yes. It is in Burnsville, MN. This is the only city in the state requiring this. I am now forced with coming up with a faux solar triangular module to meet ordinance.

I need help with ideas ( cost effective materials ) to accomplish this.....any help is very appreciated and this will allow other's with a hip roof to go solar.

I already paid $1750 for a CUP or 6 month conditional use permit last year which did nothing.

With the exception of the solar collector surface, all surfaces and associated mechanical
          equipment, devices and meters shall use non-reflective finishes such as an anodized finish. The color of
          panel frames and support structures shall be neutral and compatible with roof or other surface color so
          as to be architecturally compatible with the building or structure on which it is located and to blend in
          with the surrounding area.
          (H) Aesthetics: Accessory SES shall be designed and installed in a manner to complement and not detract
          from the character of the site and neighboring properties. All SES are to be designed to minimize visual
          impacts, provided that mitigating for visual impacts will allow the system to function within expected
          industry standards. The City Development Review Committee (DRC) will determine if the proposed design
          and installation complements or detracts from the character of the site and neighboring property,
          buildings and structures. Any person aggrieved by the determination of the DRC may file an appeal to the
          City Council pursuant to Title 10-5-8 of this Code or file an application for a Conditional Use Permit
          pursuant to Title 10-5-5 of this Code.
          1. Accessory SES shall be designed to blend into the architecture of the building, structure and
          property landscape.
          2. All structures associated with the SES system shall be neither visually intrusive nor inappropriate
          to their setting.
          3. Building-integrated and roof-mounted SES are allowed regardless of visibility, provided the
          building component in which the system is integrated meets all required setback, land use and
          performance standards for the district in which building is located.
          4. Solar collection device(s) shall be designed and located to avoid solar glare or reflection onto
          adjacent properties and right-of-way and shall not interfere with traffic or create a safety hazard. The
          property owner shall be responsible to ensure reflection angles from collector surfaces are oriented away
          from neighboring windows. Where necessary, buffering may be required to address glare.

Placement of panels should be uniform and the slope and proportions of the
          array shall match the shape and proportions of the roof.

Shall cover no more than eighty (80) percent of the total south-facing roof
          Last edited by nrgized; 10-26-2017, 04:56 PM.
          7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

• nrgized
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by sensij
            Would you post a link to the ordinance? Sharing the exact requirement will probably generate more useful suggestions.
            With the exception of the solar collector surface, all surfaces and associated mechanical
            equipment, devices and meters shall use non-reflective finishes such as an anodized finish. The color of
            panel frames and support structures shall be neutral and compatible with roof or other surface color so
            as to be architecturally compatible with the building or structure on which it is located and to blend in
            with the surrounding area.
            (H) Aesthetics: Accessory SES shall be designed and installed in a manner to complement and not detract
            from the character of the site and neighboring properties. All SES are to be designed to minimize visual
            impacts, provided that mitigating for visual impacts will allow the system to function within expected
            industry standards. The City Development Review Committee (DRC) will determine if the proposed design
            and installation complements or detracts from the character of the site and neighboring property,
            buildings and structures. Any person aggrieved by the determination of the DRC may file an appeal to the
            City Council pursuant to Title 10-5-8 of this Code or file an application for a Conditional Use Permit
            pursuant to Title 10-5-5 of this Code.
            1. Accessory SES shall be designed to blend into the architecture of the building, structure and
            property landscape.
            2. All structures associated with the SES system shall be neither visually intrusive nor inappropriate
            to their setting.
            3. Building-integrated and roof-mounted SES are allowed regardless of visibility, provided the
            building component in which the system is integrated meets all required setback, land use and
            performance standards for the district in which building is located.
            4. Solar collection device(s) shall be designed and located to avoid solar glare or reflection onto
            adjacent properties and right-of-way and shall not interfere with traffic or create a safety hazard. The
            property owner shall be responsible to ensure reflection angles from collector surfaces are oriented away
            from neighboring windows. Where necessary, buffering may be required to address glare.

Placement of panels should be uniform and the slope and proportions of the
            array shall match the shape and proportions of the roof.

Shall cover no more than eighty (80) percent of the total south-facing roof
            Last edited by nrgized; 10-26-2017, 05:03 PM.
            7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

• FFE
              Solar Fanatic
              • Oct 2015

Black plastic ABS sheet inside aluminum frame that is similar to standard solar panels is what I would do. I am assuming that you would install standard rectangular solar panels and just put the triangular ABS panels on the ends.
              Last edited by FFE; 10-26-2017, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• NEOH
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2010

nrgized ,

Did you see the triangular PV Panel on ebay ?

Otherwise You-Tube has gazzilion "DIY Solar Panel" videos

Comment

• azdave
                  • Oct 2014

Originally posted by NEOH

Did you see the triangular PV Panel on ebay ?
                  Hint: Search "Sharp Triangular Module" to find them on eBay.
                  Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                  6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• AzRoute66
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2017

I'm no lawyer, but I sometimes play one on the internet, and I don't read anything into that which requires triangular panels, or requires any SES. To me, it says that IF you use SES, this is how it will be done and what applies to it. I wonder what a real lawyer might say.

Comment

• kb58
                      • Sep 2017

This whole thing is just so bizarre. What next, the HOA demanding that everyone have 5-wheel cars?

Comment

• nrgized
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by FFE
                        Black plastic ABS sheet inside aluminum frame that is similar to standard solar panels is what I would do. I am assuming that you would install standard rectangular solar panels and just put the triangular ABS panels on the ends.
                        Thank you for the idea. It has to match the 28 other Canadian solar modules so the top would need to be I would assume the look of faux solar cells in the module.....But I was thinking your same thing. I have been at this for nearly two years. I have looked all over the world. This city is outdated and the mayor called me a trailblazer but I am facing penalties, etc if I don't solve this problem for myself and future generations in this community. All I want is a bright future.
                        Attached Files
                        7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

• nrgized
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by kb58
                          This whole thing is just so bizarre. What next, the HOA demanding that everyone have 5-wheel cars?
                          I don't have an HOA- actually I had to sue mine for breach of contract in failing to fix my flat roof over my garage in my previous home. Now I am facing a city with a outdated solar ordinance...karma or I am on a roll finding injustice in my community by trying to live my own life.

I am through all stages and now just forced to find a solution.... any ideas and empathy are helpful. I appreciate your time reading this and your ideas.
                          7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

• nrgized
                            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by AzRoute66
                            I'm no lawyer, but I sometimes play one on the internet, and I don't read anything into that which requires triangular panels, or requires any SES. To me, it says that IF you use SES, this is how it will be done and what applies to it. I wonder what a real lawyer might say.
                            Trust me. I have went the court route, the city route, the mayor, etc.. for two years....I even ran for council and studied for my LSAT....my only solution is a maybe a class action lawsuit down the road but I need a solution for myself and any other person in my city.

The city is sandbagging me.. I even tried the city attorney...I tried going for the contractor... they have stuck me with the bag because I am the homeowner. Judges agree with the ordinacne as it's law until it's updated and the jury say's the contractor built a working system even though it does not meet code.

This is the twilight zone for me. This is another attempt to finding a solution to this situation...
                            Attached Files
                            7.4 kW Grid-Tied

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by nrgized

Trust me. I have went the court route, the city route, the mayor, etc.. for two years....I even ran for council and studied for my LSAT....my only solution is a maybe a class action lawsuit down the road but I need a solution for myself and any other person in my city.

The city is sandbagging me.. I even tried the city attorney...I tried going for the contractor... they have stuck me with the bag because I am the homeowner. Judges agree with the ordinacne as it's law until it's updated and the jury say's the contractor built a working system even though it does not meet code.

This is the twilight zone for me. This is another attempt to finding a solution to this situation...
                              After all that, and all the angst the city seems to have about solar, it may come down to a choice of either accepting reality and doing without solar, or moving.

Comment

Working...