X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Yes. At end of year true up, the rolling balance goes away and the net generated kWh are paid at the rate you suggest.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Alisobob
      Banned
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ericf1
      If you end up as a net producer, what happens at the end of year "true-up"?
      cool.JPG

I like A/C.... allot.

Rolling into October, my credits should all be consumed.

My "True-Up" should be a push.

Comment

• ericf1
        • Oct 2014

Sounds like TOU is of little use to those of us with systems that generate 100% or more of our consumption, but could make a smaller system cover 100% of your annual cost if your usage tends to be off peak. Of course POCOs already have the answer to that; shift peak rates to later in the day.
        24xLG300N+SE7600 [url]http://tiny.cc/n7ucvx[/url]

Comment

• silversaver
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by ericf1
          Sounds like TOU is of little use to those of us with systems that generate 100% or more of our consumption, but could make a smaller system cover 100% of your annual cost if your usage tends to be off peak. Of course POCOs already have the answer to that; shift peak rates to later in the day.
          If you build a decent size system, then you don't really need to worry about tiers or TOU plans. That is the route I choose. But when you add 2 EVs to the calculation, I really need to sit down and plan my usages.

Comment

• ericf1
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by silversaver
            If you build a decent size system, then you don't really need to worry about tiers or TOU plans. That is the route I choose. But when you add 2 EVs to the calculation, I really need to sit down and plan my usages.
            That's pretty much where I am now. But if I had to commute, I would not want to drive my diesel truck every day. An EV and TOU might work out pretty well for a commuter...

Sorry for the OT stuff Bob! My first bill is due any day now.
            24xLG300N+SE7600 [url]http://tiny.cc/n7ucvx[/url]

Comment

• shtousey
              • Apr 2015

Info requested

Alisobob,
              I just joined the forum. I am in Orange County and am curious who you used for the install. I have two quotes so far and they are close to $5 a watt. Can you send me a PM please. Thanks, Steve

Comment

• Alisobob
                Banned
                • Sep 2014

solar78.JPG

Only 18 days into April, and already surpassed all of Jan's output...... nice.

Comment

• rwb1921
                  • Apr 2015

Price question

Is 3.95 per watt too much for the following:

21 Solar World 285 Panels
                  21 Enphase 250

5.985 Total kW

Done by small local company in Mission Viejo, California

Thanks

Comment

• rwb1921
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Alisobob
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]6389[/ATTACH]

Only 18 days into April, and already surpassed all of Jan's output...... nice.
                    Hi Alisobob, anyway you can PM me the company you used?

Comment

• Alisobob
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by rwb1921
                      Is 3.95 per watt too much for the following:

21 Solar World 285 Panels
                      21 Enphase 250

5.985 Total kW

Done by small local company in Mission Viejo, California

Thanks
                      So much more goes into a price, than chasing the bottom line.

1.Is a quality racking system used?
                      2. Is all the conduit attic run?
                      3. Are they moving roof vents for better panel placement?'
                      4. Are they adding a garage panel for a EV?
                      5. Are they upsizing the wiring for high efficiency and future system growth?
                      6. Are all permits and fee's included?
                      7. Are they providing any additional warranty coverage above or beyond the mfg?
                      8. Are they providing a roof inspection and leak free installation warranty?
                      9. Do you have a exotic roof situation?
                      10. Maintenance contract for 2x year panel cleaning.
                      11. Performance monitoring system with web access
                      etc..etc...etc..

$3.95 seems high for a basic install, without any of the items I listed.

Every solar install is so unique, only you know for sure if the price is fair or not... by doing your homework first.

If you read my whole thread, I got most everything I listed, plus repapering my whole south side roof, for much less than $3.95.

I sent you my installer info.... but you still need to do your homework first, and make your home as efficient as possible, pre-solar.

Comment

• rwb1921
                        • Apr 2015

So much more goes into a price, than chasing the bottom line.

1.Is a quality racking system used?
                        2. Is all the conduit attic run?
                        3. Are they moving roof vents for better panel placement?'
                        4. Are they adding a garage panel for a EV?
                        5. Are they upsizing the wiring for high efficiency and future system growth?
                        6. Are all permits and fee's included?
                        7. Are they providing any additional warranty coverage above or beyond the mfg?
                        8. Are they providing a roof inspection and leak free installation warranty?
                        9. Do you have a exotic roof situation?
                        10. Maintenance contract for 2x year panel cleaning.
                        11. Performance monitoring system with web access
                        etc..etc...etc..

$3.95 seems high for a basic install, without any of the items I listed.

Every solar install is so unique, only you know for sure if the price is fair or not... by doing your homework first.

If you read my whole thread, I got most everything I listed, plus repapering my whole south side roof, for much less than $3.95.

I sent you my installer info.... but you still need to do your homework first, and make your home as efficient as possible, pre-solar.

Thanks Alisobob for the quick reply and PM. I cannot PM back due to not having enough posts.

I am not locked into anything yet, but I have a good local installer who is very knowledgeable and is offering most of what you have. My setup is almost like yours in that it will be the Solar World panels (285 model) and Enphase inverters (250 model). I also will need roof done due to some leaks. So will need roofer or someone to do that. I can only have 21 panels due to the size of our roof, so going with the 285 panels to get the most in my price range. It will be producing at 10,182 kWh/Year he said with that configuration. Our roof faces south also. I have also done the all LED/Flourescent lights over time to help out. So hopefully with whoever we go with it will work out good like yours.

I will call who you used to compare and see if I can save money. Thanks for all the info that you put in this forum, along with the others who have chimed in. This is all new to me and I believe I will learn a lot from reading some of the posts here. Not sure how much will really save with the changing landscape here in California (Tiers changing, etc). But hopefully will be able to use the AC like you a lot more often as I work from home.

Thanks also sensij for your info. I will let you know if I follow up on it.

Comment

• Alisobob
                          Banned
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by rwb1921
                          Not sure how much will really save with the changing landscape here in California (Tiers changing, etc).
                          If you take the 20 year output of a well designed solar system, and divide that by the cost , assuming it was correctly priced at purchase... you get a number close to $0.07 a KwH, for those 20 years.

SCE will never be that cheap,no matter what they do to the pricing or tier system... and it only go up in time.

I would say a safe bet would be a minimum of 50% savings, over the life of the system.

Comment

• rwb1921
                            • Apr 2015

If you take the 20 year output of a well designed solar system, and divide that by the cost , assuming it was correctly priced at purchase... you get a number close to $0.07 a KwH, for those 20 years.

SCE will never be that cheap,no matter what they do to the pricing or tier system... and it only go up in time.

I would say a safe bet would be a minimum of 50% savings, over the life of the system.
                            That makes sense. I am with SDGE and from what I heard they are one of the most expensive of the companies also. So that .07 does sound good.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

Bob: that method may make some sense to compare different systems, but it can be very misleading when trying to determine the true, long term costs of buying and maintaining a PV system and expressing those costs on the same basis as the long term costs of providing the same amount of electricity via other means (such as POCO supplied electricity). What you suggest doing usually leads to unrealistically low solar elec. costs which is one reason why solar peddlers love it. That method has the advantage of simplicity. The big disadvantage is that using it will lead to incorrect conclusions about the true costs of PV provided power.

I'm in no way suggesting there is an easy, one line way to calc such costs, or that there is only one correct way to do it, but the way you suggest is misleading and much different, and probably lower than most any other informed method will estimate for a per kWh cost.

Comment

• rwb1921
                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                                Bob: that method may make some sense to compare different systems, but it can be very misleading when trying to determine the true, long term costs of buying and maintaining a PV system and expressing those costs on the same basis as the long term costs of providing the same amount of electricity via other means (such as POCO supplied electricity). What you suggest doing usually leads to unrealistically low solar elec. costs which is one reason why solar peddlers love it. That method has the advantage of simplicity. The big disadvantage is that using it will lead to incorrect conclusions about the true costs of PV provided power.

I'm in no way suggesting there is an easy, one line way to calc such costs, or that there is only one correct way to do it, but the way you suggest is misleading and much different, and probably lower than most any other informed method will estimate for a per kWh cost.
                                I wonder if that is why in one of my proposals I am looking at closely the cost is listed at $0.11 for the cost of the Solar provided power?

Comment

Working...