X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by rwb1921
    I wonder if that is why in one of my proposals I am looking at closely the cost is listed at $0.11 for the cost of the Solar provided power?
    Without looking at them, I'd guess mostly phony verbiage, smoke and mirrors. That type of misuse is common with leases.

Comment

• rwb1921
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
      Without looking at them, I'd guess mostly phony verbiage, smoke and mirrors. That type of misuse is common with leases.
      This is on a buy. There are so many charts and graphs that it is hard to tell really what you are saving. I an just going with what I use now and pay compared to what it will cost for the system and what it should produce. May not be the best, but I know I will save money, just not sure when the break even point will be. I am thinking by looking at it around 5-6 years. Unless rates really change for the better with the new tiers they are proposing.

Comment

• rwb1921
        • Apr 2015

I am also trying to add in what my use will be when I use the AC more. That is one of my main reasons since I work from home and it gets quite warm in my office here with computers running all the time. I was being very conservative with the AC in past 2 years because of the cost. I want to be a little more comfortable without going broke.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

This is on a buy. There are so many charts and graphs that it is hard to tell really what you are saving. I an just going with what I use now and pay compared to what it will cost for the system and what it should produce. May not be the best, but I know I will save money, just not sure when the break even point will be. I am thinking by looking at it around 5-6 years. Unless rates really change for the better with the new tiers they are proposing.
          Good, then buy and know if you pay more than ~ $3.50/Watt for the system you're paying more than necessary.

Comment

• rwb1921
            • Apr 2015

Good, then buy and know if you pay more than ~ $3.50/Watt for the system you're paying more than necessary.
            So the $3.50/Watt is the going rate now for a good system? If so, I may need to negotiate a little better. And look at other vendors.

Comment

• Alisobob
              Banned
              • Sep 2014

I'm in no way suggesting there is an easy, one line way to calc such costs, or that there is only one correct way to do it, but the way you suggest is misleading and much different, and probably lower than most any other informed method will estimate for a per kWh cost.
              Understood J.P.M. Thats why my final statement suggests he should save about 50% over grid based power.

Salesman often over promise, and under deliver.

We should be better than that.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

So the $3.50/Watt is the going rate now for a good system? If so, I may need to negotiate a little better. And look at other vendors.
                At the risk of sounding like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth, it's a target. Posters here have done it and I've seen good systems installed in my HOA by reputable installers for that and a bit less on contracts I've reviewed for the HOA approval process. Just remember it's terrible to pay too much but worse to pay too little. A good vendor is worth a premium. You don't get what you deserve - you get what you negotiate.

Comment

• s_man
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Alisobob
                  So much more goes into a price, than chasing the bottom line.

1.Is a quality racking system used?
                  2. Is all the conduit attic run?
                  3. Are they moving roof vents for better panel placement?'
                  4. Are they adding a garage panel for a EV?
                  5. Are they upsizing the wiring for high efficiency and future system growth?
                  6. Are all permits and fee's included?
                  7. Are they providing any additional warranty coverage above or beyond the mfg?
                  8. Are they providing a roof inspection and leak free installation warranty?
                  9. Do you have a exotic roof situation?
                  10. Maintenance contract for 2x year panel cleaning.
                  11. Performance monitoring system with web access
                  etc..etc...etc..
                  Hi Bob,
                  I have contacted the same vendor you went with but some of these items were not mentioned. Did they specify them for you before signing the contract or after? On the contract he show me it just shows these as items as in ""
                  1.Is a quality racking system used? "SOLAR MOUNTING HARDWARE"
                  2. Is all the conduit attic run? "CONDUIT FROM ROOF TO ELECTRIC PANEL"
                  3. Are they moving roof vents for better panel placement?' "Not mentioned"
                  4. Are they adding a garage panel for a EV? "Not mentioned"
                  5. Are they upsizing the wiring for high efficiency and future system growth? "not mentioned"
                  7. Are they providing any additional warranty coverage above or beyond the mfg? "25 year manufacturer warranty on part and 25 year warranty on labor"
                  8. Are they providing a roof inspection and leak free installation warranty? "Not mentioned"

Do I need to ask him for these and were the additional warranty above or beyond the mfg provided to you on paper?
                  Another thing, I think he told you and me they were on business for about 15 years, but license check from the contractor board showed they registered from 2010, so did you have another way to verify it?
                  Thanks for letting me know! I just need some more checking before I pull the trigger.

Comment

• Alisobob
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by s_man

Do I need to ask him for these .... Yup, like everything in life, you only get what you ask for.

Were the additional warranty above or beyond the mfg provided to you on paper? Yup

The license check from the contractor board showed they registered from 2010, I think thats when the owner became the license qualifier. I didnt dig any further than that.
                    Dave is easy to deal with, adding these things shoulnt be a problem

Comment

• s_man
                      • Apr 2015

Dave is easy to deal with, adding these things shoulnt be a problem
                      Thanks Bob! I figured my homework didn't go much beyond the review and prices

Comment

• silversaver
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2013

Hi Bob,

My friend's system is up and running 24 X LG280W

Thanks

Comment

• Alisobob
                          Banned
                          • Sep 2014

Cool! Glad it all worked out....

Comment

• Alisobob
                            Banned
                            • Sep 2014

23.JPG

His page lists 24 inverters...

His graph shows 23....

????

Comment

• silversaver
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2013

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6445[/ATTACH]

His page lists 24 inverters...

His graph shows 23....

????
                              He has 24 panels, but somehow the design graph only shows 23 panels.... I told him to call the installer later on. they pairing his LG280W with M215... I guess his W270 should be ok.

Comment

• Alisobob
                                Banned
                                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by silversaver
                                I told him to call the installer later on.
                                Yea, gotta get that taken care of...

Comment

Working...