X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alisobob
    Banned
    • Sep 2014

solar65.JPG

First 3 months of "Domestic" solar billing generated a $6.52 credit.

One month of "TOU-D-T" solar billing generated a $89.98 credit.

I think I know where I'm staying....

solar66.JPG

When my hard copy bill arrives, I'll break out all the numbers.

Comment

• silversaver
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2013

Both TOU-D-T and TOU-D-A are good for solar owners. The only reason I choose TOU-D-A over TOU-D-T is most my consumption fall in 10pm to 8am during Summer/Winter AC/heater usage + 2 EV

Comment

• Alisobob
        Banned
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by silversaver
        BThe only reason I choose TOU-D-A over TOU-D-T is most my consumption fall in 10pm to 8am during Summer/Winter AC/heater usage + 2 EV
        solar67.JPG

That "Super Off Peak" $0.11 KwH price does make sense for some users.....

Comment

• sensij
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Alisobob
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]6260[/ATTACH]

That "Super Off Peak" $0.11 KwH price does make sense for some users.....
          It is the $0.30 / kWh from 8 to 2 that tends to make this a better deal for those with solar than the other TOU plans. Many people are not large consumers during those hours, so the credit from generation adds up quick. TOU-D-T's 12-6 peak rate seems better on the surface, but ends up rewarding PV generation less than TOU-D-A does. To get the most benefit from TOU-D-A, the PV system should not over-produce so much that the baseline credit turns into a charge, but even those with bigger systems make out OK by it when the analysis is done in detail.
          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Alisobob
            Banned
            • Sep 2014

solar68.JPG

Woo-Hoo!!! Over the 40 KwH mark today...

Sweet!

Comment

• MikeInRialto
              • Mar 2015

Very nice! Can't wait fir my install

Comment

• silversaver
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by sensij
                It is the $0.30 / kWh from 8 to 2 that tends to make this a better deal for those with solar than the other TOU plans. Many people are not large consumers during those hours, so the credit from generation adds up quick. TOU-D-T's 12-6 peak rate seems better on the surface, but ends up rewarding PV generation less than TOU-D-A does. To get the most benefit from TOU-D-A, the PV system should not over-produce so much that the baseline credit turns into a charge, but even those with bigger systems make out OK by it when the analysis is done in detail.
                not necessary but true since you pay -$0.1 per baseline kWh credit. It may go up from -$29 to -$34 max baseline. I don't think I can over-generate too much from now on.... My Summer (July/Aug) and Winter (Dec) are extremely high..... as you see in the graph, 1st EV kick in from July and 2nd EV just start not too long ago....when ---- becomes ++++. Too bad, too late to go larger.... hopefully I can utilize the TOU plan....
                Attached Files

Comment

• Alisobob
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2014

solar69.JPG

So.. I'm pondering things... and this occurs to me. The max continuous output of my Enphase M-215 microinverters is 215 watts A/C.

I have 24 of them, so max output of the system is 5160 watts.

My nameplate size is 6480 watts D/C ( 270 watt panels x 24)

Question? Is the limiting factor of the microinverters, limiting my system efficiency to 80% ?

I am gaining KW's produced per day, due to longer days, and better sun angle. My peak power produced on the Enphase website is 5.35 KW's.

I shouldnt expect to see this number climb much , due to the limited inverter output, correct?

The Enphase M250 inverter, would bring my maximum continuous power up to 6000 watts, a system efficiency of 92% at peak output, a 12% improvement.

Perhaps that's the way I should have gone?

Comment

• inetdog
                    Super Moderator
                    • May 2012

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6304[/ATTACH]

So.. I'm pondering things... and this occurs to me. The max continuous output of my Enphase M-215 microinverters is 215 watts A/C.

Question? Is the limiting factor of the microinverters, limiting my system efficiency to 80% ?

I am gaining KW's produced per day, due to longer days, and better sun angle. My peak power produced on the Enphase website is 5.35 KW's.

I shouldnt expect to see this number climb much , due to the limited inverter output, correct?

The Enphase M250 inverter, would bring my maximum continuous power up to 6000 watts, a system efficiency of 92% at peak output, a 12% improvement.

Not sure if I would call it limiting the efficiency to 80% since the panel output itself will often not be what you would predict from the nominal (STC) rating information. Among other things the panel temperature is almost always higher than STC, guaranteed to be in summer.
                    And the panel output will start to fall significantly outside two hours either side of solar noon.
                    But you are correct that you should not expect to get more than 215 watts per micro.
                    The difference in total power per day just may not cover the added cost of the larger micros (oxymoron?).
                    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• MikeInRialto
                      • Mar 2015

When I called enphase - the tech said in the socal area, he would recommend m215 for 270 panels and below, m250 for 280 panels and above. 275 panels are on the cusp and would be benefit with m250 for a few years (degradation)

Comment

• sensij
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2014

Max output for the M215's is 225 W, not 215 W. If you run the numbers, you'll see the value of the energy you are missing out on doesn't add up to much. If M250's had been the same price, sure, but typically they are more expensive than the value they would bring to your system.

Comment

• Alisobob
                          Banned
                          • Sep 2014

solar70.JPG

From Enphase.

Comment

• sensij
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Sep 2014

Look at the line above. Peak power is 225. It was well known in Enphase's first three generations that they would produce 10 W more than the part number suggested. The M250 was originally going to launch as the M240, before they decided to change it up. The M250 is their first model that doesn't produce higher than the name suggests.

Seriously, this is not news. Look through the forum history, this time of year it is common for people to see clipping and freak out. In a system designed per Enphase's guidelines, the lost energy rarely adds up to much.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6304[/ATTACH]

Bob: Anecdotal stuff:

Your system size is 1.24 times mine.

Our solar climates are somewhat similar. You're probably a bit cooler amb. temp. wise.

On clear days, when you report your output, it's come to my notice that your output is consistently (and a bit surprising to me) close to 1.25 times my output - i.e, giving consistently very similar output per installed kW.

Parenthetically, this is in spite of the fact that my array is Sunpower and, in theory has an arguably better orientation - 195 az, 18 deg. tilt - more eveidence to my and a lot of other contention that equal arrays will produce about equal output, Sunpower and most everyone else.

Back to purposes for this conversation, my array has a 5kW string inverter, and based on a lot of observations, I'm pretty sure it does not clip. Therefore, I'd guess, based on my observations of the similarity in our outputs/installed kW, yours doesn't either.

Comment

• Alisobob
                                Banned
                                • Sep 2014

Thanks JPM.

I'm just trying to play the devils advocate for anyone undecided on which Enphase Microinverter to choose.

You only get one chance to make the right decision.... more info helps you to do so.

Comment

Working...