• Show
Clear All
  • skoolpsyk
    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Alisobob
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]6191[/ATTACH]

March kicked ass! Thank you Sun!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6192[/ATTACH]
    hey, some of us wouldn't mind some drought quenching rain! more sun isn't always a good thing!

and keep the updates coming; it might irk some of the veterans but to us newbies the more info the better!

Comment

• Alisobob
      Banned
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by skoolpsyk
      it might irk some of the veterans but to us newbies the more info the better!
      .... thats what I kinda' thought... and for what its worth, I'm still a noob.

In a few days my March SCE bill will be posted. Big news related to my switch from Domestic to TOU billing.

Stay tuned..... or dont.

Thanks J.P.M.

Bob

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

.... thats what I kinda' thought... and for what its worth, I'm still a noob.

In a few days my March SCE bill will be posted. Big news related to my switch from Domestic to TOU billing.

Stay tuned..... or dont.

Thanks J.P.M.

Bob
        You're welcome.

Giving this some further thought:

- Saying (writing) that I don't usually bother with the 1X/month updates is not the same as saying I find them irksome. That's why I added the clarifier about adding some perspective.

- I usually stay out of threads that don't interest me, or where I feel I have nothing of value to add, or would only exhibit ignorance.

- The perspective part usually involves a comment I may have to the usual or often made statement about beating PVWatts by a large amount, or beating the vendor's estimate, or a less than zero electric bill.

- FWIW, I wonder how many folks see those conditions as a possible result of vendors taking advantage of customer's ignorance to underestimate performance estimates prior to sale. Consistently beating estimates, and/or beating them by a large measure to me means there is something consistently wrong with the estimate. In those cases, I follow the money, and in most cases oversized systems waste it (money). "Newbies" may appreciate that perspective - or not - their choice., but I fail to see how such information will hurt more than help.

- As for beating PVWatts, my comments MAY serve as sort of a heads' up to "newbies" to not only be aware of PVWatts as a tool and use it as such, but BEWARE that it still, usually and often underestimates system performance.

- As for the usual glee that a bill is zeroed out - great feeling - enjoy. But just a reminder, oversized systems are often and usually less than optimally cost effective.

What I forgot to remember was that something I often add to my posts applies to me as well:

Take what you want/need of the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

• Alisobob
          Banned
          • Sep 2014

Thanks JPM...

I want to make somethings very clear... if and when I say "My system is ahead of the PV Watts forcast", remember two things.

1. Weather is fickle. California was way behind in annual rainfall. Thats means more sunny days than usual are occurring . It would be expected to be ahead of the PV Watts numbers right now, only to fall behind if and when the rains do return.

2. As JPM stated, the closer you come to zeroing out your bill, the closer you come to leaving money on the table. I wanted to come close to zeroing out my current bill, as a EV may be in my future, or maybe a pool. I wanted a little "reserve", just in case. For many, just removing the Tier 2,3, and 4 charges will make more economic sense. Everyone do your own homework, and no peeking.

I expect to have solar success's, as well as solar failures. Its all here for everyone to see. I'm trying to keep it fun and interesting so folks will stop in from time to time.... with the goal of them learning something along the way.

Bob

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Understood.

As for # 2: Maybe I wrote that, but I don't recall doing it. More importantly, I'm of the opinion that zeroing out a bill is, indeed, in all likelihood, probably leaving some $$ on the table, but I'll not challenge that some may have inferred such a statement from my spoor - as in "...zeroing out an electric bill may not be the most cost effective option...". I do recall writing that on several occasions.

Comment

• silversaver
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2013

Thanks JPM...

I want to make somethings very clear... if and when I say "My system is ahead of the PV Watts forcast", remember two things.

1. Weather is fickle. California was way behind in annual rainfall. Thats means more sunny days than usual are occurring . It would be expected to be ahead of the PV Watts numbers right now, only to fall behind if and when the rains do return.

2. As JPM stated, the closer you come to zeroing out your bill, the closer you come to leaving money on the table. I wanted to come close to zeroing out my current bill, as a EV may be in my future, or maybe a pool. I wanted a little "reserve", just in case. For many, just removing the Tier 2,3, and 4 charges will make more economic sense. Everyone do your own homework, and no peeking.

I expect to have solar success's, as well as solar failures. Its all here for everyone to see. I'm trying to keep it fun and interesting so folks will stop in from time to time.... with the goal of them learning something along the way.

Bob
              Totally agree. I purchased 2 EVs after solar installed and so is my neighbor on his Tesla. We both want/need a larger system.

Comment

• s_man
                • Apr 2015

Wow..... (wow, wow, wow)

I took the boards advice, and contacted a small, local company with nothing but 5 star reviews on Yelp. No Russ..... I wont say the name.

This is their deal....
                24 , 270 watt Solar World MONO panels ( 6480 watt total)
                24 Enphase Inverters
                Envoy monitoring with life time web access
                Attic run electrical, nothing on roof
                Move v ents as needed
                R/R all Roof Tile under solar panels to repaper roof.
                25 year warranty for all parts and labor. If product supplier goes out of business, they will pick up the remainder of supplier warranty
                4 year maintenance agreement ( Wash panels, inspect wiring, etc..etc.. 2 x per year) after 4 years, service is $150 per year if so desired
                NO PANEL UPGRADE NEEDED! They will flip around some circuits to make the panel "End Fed" which will satisfy the building inspector without replacing the panel.

All permits and HOA paperwork included

Price: $23,291 ( 3.59 per watt installed)

-30% Tax Credit $16,303 ( $2.51 per watt installed)

It looks like this is the way I'm going to go.....

Thanks everyone. Bob
                Hi Bob,
                Could you p.m. me the company info? Thanks!

Comment

• s_man
                  • Apr 2015

Thank you, Bob for your info!

Comment

• Beanyboy57
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Apr 2012

Woo-Hoo!!

Its been pouring rain since about 4:30 am or so... its just now tapering off.

Dry as baby powder in the house!!!

Hope everyone else is too....

I wish I had replaced my concrete tiles before the solar install, damn it.

Comment

• Cyang
                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by s_man
                      Hi Bob,
                      Could you p.m. me the company info? Thanks!
                      Bob, I'm in Aliso Viejo too. Could you p.m. The company info too?

Thank you

Calvin

Comment

• Alisobob
                        Banned
                        • Sep 2014

Hey everyone, here's a sneak peek at what I'm going to post up.

This first snap is for Feb, 2015. "Domestic" billing -7 Kwh's daily usage, -212 surplus at months end. A $32 credit was applied to my account as a result. Disregard the $1.77 number. Thats the SCE flat rate, to use their wires, and generate a bill.

These two snaps for March, 2015. "TOU-D-T " Billing.( one is shown in $$$, the other in KWh's, but its for the same period) Nearly identical numbers. - 7 KwH's daily usage, -202 surplus at months end... BUT.. a $89 credit due to the way "On Peak" generation pricing of $0.22 per KWh and off peak consumption priced at $0.13 a KWh are calculated.

I'll wait until I get my SCE hard copy bill to confirm everything, but TOU-D-T billing looks like a winner for me.

BUT.. this brings up allot of questions, like properly sizing a system. If I had calculated TOU billing into the parameters, then a smaller system could have been designed around the advantages of TOU, yet still would have met replacing 100% of my bill..

BUT... if SCE starts to lose their a$$ to solar customers being billed with TOU accounts, they may discontinue them, or reset the pricing to take away this advantage, so if you did size your solar system around current TOU values, you might find yourself screwed if these values change in the future.

Keep in mind.. I AM VERY EARLY INTO MY SOLAR EXPERIMENT. 2 months of Domestic billing, and 1 of TOU. I would hardly call this enough information and experience to base any kind of long term projections on. The TOU pricing quotes above is for "Winter" ( Oct. to May) Summer pricing jumps to $0.34 for On Peak hours, and $0.14 for Off Peak, so the benefits may be even greater in the summer, coupled with the longer and greater KWh generation numbers that occur in summer.

I'll break all the numbers down when the hard copy bill arrives from SCE, I just wanted to give you guys a peek into what my first month as a TOU customer was like, and give you time to think of any questions you may have.....

Bob

Comment

• sensij
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2014

If you have your hourly net consumption numbers for the month, have you run them against TOU-D-A? There's a pretty good chance that it would be even more favorable for you, based on the analysis InsaneOctane performed, and which I've verified. Of course, if you are net negative, it doesn't matter what plan you are on, the end result will be the same.
                          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

I'd keep comparing plans vs. usage month/month for all the plans and see what happens. After some time, 12 months I believe (but check to make sure) I believe you can switch back to the plan you had.

Comment

• MikeInRialto
                              • Mar 2015

I'm thinking a slightly larger than needed system is the safe bet since it would be a lot more costly to add panels later. A bigger than needed system will also offset degradation.

Comment

• silversaver
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2013

At this time of season, even a 4kW system might give you surplus on generation. The real deal break are during Summer/Winter when ACs/heaters are turn on.

Comment

Working...