DIY Install in Florida. Need help with Engineering diagrams for Permitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Install in Florida. Need help with Engineering diagrams for Permitting

Ok so after researching a bit and figuring out what equipment to go with. I have decided on the following:

1 SolarEdge 7600HD-US Inverter
    20 Panasonic HIT 325Watt Panels
    20 SolarEdge P400 Optimizers
    Iron Ridge rail and rack system for all panels.

I want to start out with 12 panels on the roof and work up to 20-24 in the future. I have access to a licensed Master Electrician in my county as he is a personal friend. I just need help getting Engineering diagram for the permitting process. Most places like Renvu and Wholesale Solar want you to buy the equipment form them. I have access to the equipment at a substantially reduced price since they sell in bulk quantity.

Can any DIY guys that have crossed this path point me in the right direction. I would rather pay someone that knows what they are doing to make the process much easier.

Thanks,

I used an example as starting point for my permit application
    http://santaclaraca.gov/home/showdocument?id=51736

The electrical diagram was basically one of those, modified for my planned install.

The roof layout was a few pages - one with a aerial photo - sort of a mock-up.
    The other pages had details with measurements from roof edges.

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post
      I used an example as starting point for my permit application
      http://santaclaraca.gov/home/showdocument?id=51736

The electrical diagram was basically one of those, modified for my planned install.

The roof layout was a few pages - one with a aerial photo - sort of a mock-up.
      The other pages had details with measurements from roof edges.

Thank you. I searched and found a ton in California. Unfortunately i am in Florida so things i would assume are different.

Comment

Originally posted by TundraLu View Post
        Thank you. I searched and found a ton in California. Unfortunately i am in Florida so things i would assume are different.
        I would not expect the electrical diagram to be different.

Florida may have extra requirements for showing how it'll withstand strong winds (ex. hurricane)

There are some that you can find searching "florida photovoltaic permit example" or florida photovoltaic permit guidelines"
        ex:
        http://www.capecoral.net/department/..._DCD_70551.pdf

Whatever you use for feet the manufacturer probably will have info you can just copy into your permit package.
        I used quickmount PV for my feet, and I put their installation guide in my permit. That includes the lag pull-out capacity.
        Since I was attaching to the rafters every 4ft (or less) the permit office had a "streamlined" process where they didn't need a full mechanical engineering analysis of the racking.

Comment

I would not expect the electrical diagram to be different.

Florida may have extra requirements for showing how it'll withstand strong winds (ex. hurricane)

There are some that you can find searching "florida photovoltaic permit example" or florida photovoltaic permit guidelines"
          ex:
          http://www.capecoral.net/department/..._DCD_70551.pdf

Whatever you use for feet the manufacturer probably will have info you can just copy into your permit package.
          I used quickmount PV for my feet, and I put their installation guide in my permit. That includes the lag pull-out capacity.
          Since I was attaching to the rafters every 4ft (or less) the permit office had a "streamlined" process where they didn't need a full mechanical engineering analysis of the racking.
          Thanks i just downloaded solardesigntool and it gave me like 90% of what i needed. Yes i am also using Ironridge XR100 due to the hurricanes here ...

Thanks Again.

Comment

Yes i am also using Ironridge XR100 due to the hurricanes here Thanks Again.
            Do you know if you will need wind calcs for the permitting ? If so, that will require more than checking just the racking for strength/suitability.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Do you know if you will need wind calcs for the permitting ? If so, that will require more than checking just the racking for strength/suitability.
              I am going to the central permitting office Monday morning. I am meeting up with my Master Electrician friend tomorrow to go over specifics. So i will respond with the answer then..
              Last edited by TundraLu; 11-10-2017, 12:40 PM.

Comment

If your utility is FPL they limit the system size to 10kwh so you may want to check who your provider is to make your plan. I planned a larger system until I found that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Crash View Post
                  If your utility is FPL they limit the system size to 10kwh so you may want to check who your provider is to make your plan. I planned a larger system until I found that out.
                  I only need a 7KW system to satisfy my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

I went yesterday and they told me they needed Wind speed certification for the IronRidge railing system due to the Florida Hurricanes. Per Florida Building Code for my area i will need to be able to withstand 110 MPH. The IronRidge railing system if installed per engineering specs can withstand 170MPH. So i updated my engineering plans with the necessary specs fron Iron Ridge and went and filled for the permit today. Fingers crossed that my permit is approved as material is en route to me and will be here this week.

Comment

The IronRidge railing system if installed per engineering specs can withstand 170MPH.
                      Are you using ironridge feet?
                      If not, I would think they'd want specs for those.
                      (I ask because I used quickmount's E-mount, rather than what ironridge had)

Comment

When I did mine, I needed to calculate the uplift at the design speed and show that the roof mounts could withstand that plus a margin that I can't recall. Since my rack manufacturer didn't have any sort of engineering tool, I used the calculations in ASCE 7-05 which I think has been superseded by 7-10 to determine the uplift loads. You could ask the building department if they would accept calcs based on that book's "Components and cladding" section, I bet they would go with that and you'd have a clear path to getting it done. If you don't have engineering data for the roof attachment, you might need to prove that the screws will carry the uplift load. I'll post my drawings if you need another example.

Comment

Are you using ironridge feet?
                          If not, I would think they'd want specs for those.
                          (I ask because I used quickmount's E-mount, rather than what ironridge had)

Yes i am using the whole IronRidge system for feet, rails, optimizer mounting etc.. Man it is not cheap haha.

Comment

Originally posted by sdold View Post
                            When I did mine, I needed to calculate the uplift at the design speed and show that the roof mounts could withstand that plus a margin that I can't recall. Since my rack manufacturer didn't have any sort of engineering tool, I used the calculations in ASCE 7-05 which I think has been superseded by 7-10 to determine the uplift loads. You could ask the building department if they would accept calcs based on that book's "Components and cladding" section, I bet they would go with that and you'd have a clear path to getting it done. If you don't have engineering data for the roof attachment, you might need to prove that the screws will carry the uplift load. I'll post my drawings if you need another example.
                            Steve, I will let you know if i need your example and thank you very much for offering. This is an exciting project for me as this is my Early Xmas gift to myself .
                            Last edited by TundraLu; 11-14-2017, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Material is being dropped off from freight in a few. I am excited. haha I will inspect all the panels to ensure everything is good.

Comment

Working...
                              X