• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Laspher
    Well said.

I again reiterate my point: I will wait until I see reports from actual users on how the Solar roof performs and if something like the tesla power wall is required or if regular FLA batteries will work.
    Why would any battery be required?
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Laspher
      • Mar 2017

night time use, off grid living, umm because batteries are cool, they even make pretty colored smoke if done "correctly"

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Laspher
        night time use, off grid living, umm because batteries are cool, they even make pretty colored smoke if done "correctly"
        The word is "required". The majority of all solar is batteryless, why would you expect there would be any requirement for batteries with the solar roof?

Comment

• Laspher
          • Mar 2017

Because it is a Tesla product? Heck, even if it were not Tesla, any business that sells a solar solution and deep cycle batteries would try to find a way to make both required to function correctly.

Comment

• FFE
            Solar Fanatic
            • Oct 2015

I prefer solar/EV/battery being subsidized by the government over petroleum. Even if it is to a company that has trouble turning a profit. Google government subsidies petroleum.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by FFE
              I prefer solar/EV/battery being subsidized by the government over petroleum. Even if it is to a company that has trouble turning a profit. Google government subsidies petroleum.
              Seems better to me if the government got out of the subsidy business all together, but that's my libertarian streak showing...................... Yup - all of'm.

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by FFE
                That is not a subsidy, it is the best investment all of us would jump on if available. What would you say if I guaranteed you for every dollar you gave me today, in one year I pay you $10, and offer to do it again and again, and again? You would be rich in a few years and never have to ever touch your investment.

Subsidies in solar has not returned any money to the public. All of it is lost and no tax collected. Geez people are so ignorant and brain washed.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• oilerlord
                  • Mar 2015

Wow. The amount (and degree) of Elon Musk / Tesla hate on this board is astounding. If this board was called "coalproducertalk.com" or "petroleumforever.com" - it would make sense.

Take another look at solar tiles:

...and please explain why they aren't a beautiful alternative to traditional solar modules, and why people won't want them on their roof. It took a lot of effort to overcome wife acceptance factor in order to green light my solar project. These tiles would have made it a slam dunk - and would have enhanced (not detracted from) the curb appeal of our house.

Perhaps it's human nature's fear of change that opposes innovative ideas and products that threaten established norms. I expected more from a board devoted to solar, and solar energy.
                  oilerlord's 9.23kW Plant

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by oilerlord
                    Wow. The amount (and degree) of Elon Musk / Tesla hate on this board is astounding. If this board was called "coalproducertalk.com" or "petroleumforever.com" - it would make sense.

...and please explain why they aren't a beautiful alternative to traditional solar modules, and why people won't want them on their roof. It took a lot of effort to overcome wife acceptance factor in order to green light my solar project. These tiles would have made it a slam dunk - and would have enhanced (not detracted from) the curb appeal of our house.

Perhaps it's human nature's fear of change that opposes innovative ideas and products that threaten established norms. I expected more from a board devoted to solar, and solar energy.
                    What the "F" has our feeling concerning Musk have to do with fossil fuel? Also fear of new products has nothing to do with my feelings on the topic.

I am telling you that solar shingle have been tried and failed. The reason was due to heat failure of the solar cells because they could not get cooled enough like a typical solar pv panel on a roof.

Tesla is trying something different and may find a working product using tiles instead of a flat shingle.

What I have a major question is will they be able to do is make a viable working product that has a long life span, converts solar energy to electricity, keeps a home water tight and cost less then a typical solar pv system installed on a standard shingle roof?

Comment

• azdave
                      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by ButchDeal

Why would any battery be required?
                      Because the financial benefits of grid-tie net agreements are slipping away?

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                      6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by azdave

Unfortunately the POCO's are now fighting back to change the laws that have (in their eyes) cost them revenue.

Net Metering has been off kilter from day one. It should have been based on what it truly costs to generate each kWh plus maybe a little more. The $/kWh that the POCO's charge their customers includes other fees including what is needed to maintain the grid. Which is IMO more then what a home solar generator should be paid for each kWh they generate. There needs to be some middle ground that pays the customer a reasonable amount for the kWh they generate without being greedy and the POCO needs to be more understanding about sharing the responsibilities and cost of co-generation.

Batteries are a different subject. Until someone can bring down the price so that energy storage can generate a kWh for around what you can purchase it from the POCO, then IMO installing them is not a smart financial action to take. For customers where the cost per kWh is high batteries make more sense but for most of the US it is a negative cash flow.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by azdave

I was questioning the "REQUIRED"?

Comment

• jflorey2
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
                            That is not a subsidy, it is the best investment all of us would jump on if available.
                            As is solar.
                            Subsidies in solar has not returned any money to the public. All of it is lost and no tax collected.
                            The renewables sector has added 4 million jobs in the past ten years, and is the fastest growing sector of the economy. Do some basic math and figure out how much income, state, sales and social security tax those people pay. Then - when people want to retire - figure out who is going to pay for THEIR social security in ten years.

Some people are definitely brainwashed by the right wing media.

Comment

• jflorey2
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by oilerlord
                              ...and please explain why they aren't a beautiful alternative to traditional solar modules, and why people won't want them on their roof.
                              They look nice. Do they work? Do they increase the odds your roof will leak? Are they more fragile? Can you maintain the roof once it's complete?

I'll give them a decade or so and see if they have the same track record as traditional PV.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by jflorey2
                                Some people are definitely brainwashed by the right wing media.
                                The way I see it, in this headlong rush into national and perhaps international imbecility, most everyone is getting brainwashed by all the media, left, right and center, with the collective mental sloth only making manipulation easier. No one has a lock on the truth, whatever that may be, but the morons of all ilks think their side has a lock on it.

Comment

Working...