Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla solar roof - orders being taken next week

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-roof-in-april

I wonder how long delivery will take . I expect it may be like the Model 3, leave a deposit and we will let you know someday when you might get them delivered.

It will be interesting how they do all the details like interconnecting myriads of panels and how to fit standard segments onto an inevitably non standard roof.

Given the small amount of irradiance available to a vehicle roof due to the small area when compared to the relatively large energy requirement of the vehicle, and unless the option is free, that may be another way to separate ignorant fools from their money.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
      Given the small amount of irradiance available to a vehicle roof due to the small area when compared to the relatively large energy requirement of the vehicle, and unless the option is free, that may be another way to separate ignorant fools from their money.
      The article is referring to the much hyped solar roof for a house not for an automobile

Comment

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post

The article is referring to the much hyped solar roof for a house not for an automobile
        OOPS ! Guess I shoulda' read/scanned the article first. Ready/fire/aim applies. My bad.

Comment

Depends on where they plan on making those "shingles" If they are coming out of the factory in Buffalo I would say don't hold your breath. If they are coming out of one of the other solar panel plants it could be sooner.

The problem that DOW had was getting their shingles certified by the building codes in most states so they could be used on homes and meet wind codes. It took years to do that. And then it only took a few years to find out that the failure rate was pretty high due to heat fatigue and poor pv output.

Tesla has to get over some pretty big hurdles to get their "shingles" recognized as BOCA certified, then produce them at a cost that makes sense to compete with the roofing & solar pv panel industry. IMO that is a long up hill battle.

Comment

According to what I have seen, probably propaganda but still, the prototype shingles they have tested are cheaper and more durable than regular asphalt shingles. I haven't seen anything about output, but considering most houses (mine included run east/west) would only have PV on one half of the roof. A north/south running house could get shingles on both sides for better output.
            Last edited by Laspher; 03-27-2017, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laspher View Post
              According to what I have seen, probably propaganda but still, the prototype shingles they have tested are cheaper and more durable than regular asphalt shingles. I haven't seen anything about output, but considering most houses (my included run east/west) would only have PV on one half of the roof. A north/south running house could get shingles on both sides for better output.
              That would be some pretty creative accounting

Comment

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post

That would be some pretty creative accounting
                That is the shingles only, that doesn't include the cost of the rest of the Tesla system that you would probably need for it all to work.

Comment

A few large companies like Dow have had the same type product on the market, all failed and bankrupt due to warranty claims.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                    A few large companies like Dow have had the same type product on the market, all failed and bankrupt due to warranty claims.
                    Guess it depends on the definition of same. I think most would agree the aesthetics of this not-yet-real product are far superior to anything that has come before. That doesn't mean it won't be another entry in the scrap heap of failed BIPV products should it even come to market.

Comment

I'm very skeptical of the Tesla solar shingles. I'll bet they are expensive, unreliable, not delivered on time, and not that aesthetic unless you do 100% of your roof with them.
                      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post
                        ... not that aesthetic unless you do 100% of your roof with them.
                        That's for sure. I think he has 100% reroofing jobs in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Laspher View Post
                          According to what I have seen, probably propaganda but still, the prototype shingles they have tested are cheaper and more durable than regular asphalt shingles.
                          Really? Cheaper and more durable than the standard roofing choice on 80% of the homes in the US? And they produce electricity too? I guess the asphalt shingle roofing business is doomed.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                          6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Originally posted by azdave View Post

Really? Cheaper and more durable than the standard roofing choice on 80% of the homes in the US? And they produce electricity too? I guess the asphalt shingle roofing business is doomed.
                            OH NO!!!. I use to work for a company in that type of business. What will my friends do if they are put out of work? Oh the Humanity.

Comment

Since information seems a bit sparse on the product/system at this time, FWIW, I intend to wait and see :

1.) IF a product is produced. 2.) IF it makes it to a roof. 3.) What any collected data looks like. 4.) How it holds up.

Until I see a product actually hit the market, seems a lot of B.S. to me, like tourism to the moon.

Comment

Working...
                              X