SMA String VS Solar Edge with Power Optimizers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

The newer optimizers have been out for some time now. We have have very few failures. The failures we have had can easily be traced to a few installers with poor practices, easily corrected with training.
    The equipment is improved and proven, Do you base your auto purchase decisions on the reliability of cars made in the 1970s?
    I loved my 1961 T-Bird, 390 4 barrel but it did only get about 11 mpg.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

i said 1970s for a reason

I loved my 1965 Corvair monza and it did get 32MPG our 1955 Cadillac only could get 7MPG though (2.5 ton car)
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
        I liked my 62 Olds, but finally dumped it for being obsolete. That heavier, plain Jane 77 Olds in front of my array
        does 0-60 1.4 seconds faster than that T Bird, faster 1/4 mile, also gets 19 mpg, all on crap 87 unleaded. Yes I
        compare cars to the 70s. Bruce Roe

Comment

Just to add to the fun -

How will the rapid shutdown requirement affect the SMA setup, down the road ?
          My understanding is that the SE setup lends itself to implementing rapid shutdown while it will be very expensive to retrofit a SMA setup.

Will existing SMA setup's be grandfathered in and exempt from rapid shutdown ?

Comment

Originally posted by lanb View Post
            Just to add to the fun -

How will the rapid shutdown requirement affect the SMA setup, down the road ?
            My understanding is that the SE setup lends itself to implementing rapid shutdown while it will be very expensive to retrofit a SMA setup.
            SolarEdge has rapid shutdown built in and automatic rapid shutdown built into the new HDWave versions as well (next level).
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBGLlPFpTSU

SMA has a rapid shutdown solution which is costly and cumbersome to implement now but does not meet new automatic rapid shutdown requirements.

SMA did purchase Tigo which makes optimizers.
            I suspect that they intend to use the Tigo IP to convert the SMA inverters to more of a SolarEdge type system. This will allow more integrated rapid shutdown (but not by just adding existing Tigo optimizers to an SMA inverter).

Originally posted by lanb View Post
            Will existing SMA setup's be grandfathered in and exempt from rapid shutdown ?
            generally something does not need to brought up to current code unless there is a change made to it. So yes.
            Last edited by ButchDeal; 05-04-2017, 01:32 PM.
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

i said 1970s for a reason

I loved my 1965 Corvair monza and it did get 32MPG our 1955 Cadillac only could get 7MPG though (2.5 ton car)
              I owned that 1961 in the 70's. I could not afford it new so got it when it was 10 years old with 42k miles on it for $500.

Comment

Working...
              X