X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by solarix
    I just do not like the whole serviceability issue with a distributed architecture. What no one seems to think about is that sooner or later, someone will have to go out to replace these optimizers one by one as they croak. Why marry a super reliable solar panel with a chunk of electronics that is less so - in a hard to service location? I was the first guy in Arizona to go whole hog into the SolarEdge mindset and learned first hand (the early versions had a horrible failure rate) that I do not want to be the guy responsible for servicing all these optimizers.
    Actually the optimizers are very reliable. The early versions had lots of electolytic caps, the current ones have none of those in them.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ButchDeal

Actually the optimizers are very reliable. The early versions had lots of electrolytic caps, the current ones have none of those in them.
      Any switcher puts an awful strain on electrolytic caps; designing them out should really help. I don't know any
      details about optimizers. But if they are a variation of the well known buck converter, they should be FAR simpler
      than any inverter. Multiple phase bucks and high frequencies would help. I would avoid them here, with little
      shade (where is my chain saw), as they will be another source of radio interference. Bruce Roe

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by bcroe

Any switcher puts an awful strain on electrolytic caps; designing them out should really help. I don't know any
        details about optimizers. But if they are a variation of the well known buck converter, they should be FAR simpler
        than any inverter. Multiple phase bucks and high frequencies would help. I would avoid them here, with little
        shade (where is my chain saw), as they will be another source of radio interference. Bruce Roe
        This is older but shows some of the internal components:

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ButchDeal

This is older but shows some of the internal components:
          https://www.solaredge.com/sites/defa...imizers-na.pdf
          Can't tell for sure, but the quite high efficiency and limited # of parts implies a non isolated buck or
          buck-boost circuit. What they don't mention is that the optimizer losses must be added to the supporting
          inverter losses, bringing them down to or below micro efficiency. The system design certainly gets more
          complex, but in a varying shading or clipping situation, the optimizers should do better.

There has been the thought of improvising a home brew optimizer, for a complete string subject
          to earlier gradual shading. But so far it has been easier to just cut the tree. Bruce Roe
          Last edited by bcroe; 05-03-2017, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Can't tell for sure, but the quite high efficiency and limited # of parts implies a non isolated buck or
            buck-boost circuit. What they don't mention is that the optimizer losses must be added to the supporting
            inverter losses, bringing them down to or below micro efficiency. The system design certainly gets more
            complex, but in a varying shading or clipping situation, the optimizers should do better.
            The current optimizers are 99% efficient and the HDWave inverters are 99% efficient so the combined efficiency is above the micro and most string inverters.
            The buck-boost system allows them to have a much wider operating range.

There has been the thought of improvising a home brew optimizer, for a complete string subject
            to earlier gradual shading. But so far it has been easier to just cut the tree. Bruce Roe
            No shadow outperforms optimized with shadow any day.
            Last edited by ButchDeal; 05-03-2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• jflorey2
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2015

buck-boost circuit.
              Yeah, there are a few reference designs out there for solar optimizers based on the Solaredge products. They are all four switch buck-boosts.

Comment

• bcroe
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2012

The situation here might be a string some 30' long, and the panels get shaded one by one. A
                "string optimizer" might keep the remaining unshaded panels working a while longer at their
                full efficiency; the shaded ones going to bypass. Not every string here needs this. Bruce Roe

Comment

• jflorey2
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2015

The situation here might be a string some 30' long, and the panels get shaded one by one. A
                  "string optimizer" might keep the remaining unshaded panels working a while longer at their
                  full efficiency; the shaded ones going to bypass. Not every string here needs this. Bruce Roe
                  Have you looked at the Tigo optimizers? They can be used on a single string and the output still connected to a string inverter.

Comment

• steveholtam
                    • Jul 2016

I've never liked the argument that it's hot on the roof, and the parts will die. These electronic boxes are designed to withstand the heat. Heat on a roof is not an unknown factor. Car manufactures have all sorts of electronics under the hood that are punished by heat for decades and they keep on working. Only time will tell, but so far there does not appear to be heat issues with the newer models.

Comment

• bcroe
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by jflorey2
                      Have you looked at the Tigo optimizers? They can be used on a single string and the output still connected to a string inverter.
                      That will something to consider, thanks. First I'll finish moving/adding panels, and removing shade. Then see
                      just what benefit might be possible. It seemed like a fun project, the strings are 3KW, a little bigger than any
                      switcher built here before. The idea of uneven size strings is interesting, now all strings have 720 cells. Bruce Roe

Comment

• solarix
                        Super Moderator
                        • Apr 2015

The original SolarEdge optimizers had no electrolytic caps in them. I checked before getting involved with them and was the reason I thought they would be better than the Enphase design. Still had a bunch of them fail within two years. Oh ya, car electronics and high under hood temps. That's a good one - how long do auto makers warranty their stuff?
                        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

car electronics and high under hood temps
                          A short warranty (5 years) and low power (as in 10's of watts) vs 100w+ And the complex parts are usually in the passenger cabin
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• jflorey2
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by steveholtam
                            I've never liked the argument that it's hot on the roof, and the parts will die. These electronic boxes are designed to withstand the heat.
                            Failure rates double per 10C increase in temperatures.
                            Heat on a roof is not an unknown factor. Car manufactures have all sorts of electronics under the hood that are punished by heat for decades and they keep on working.
                            Nowadays high temperature/high power power components under the hood (i.e. inverter FETs, rectifiers, inductors) are actively cooled either with fans or liquid coolant systems. On-roof systems usually do not have those sorts of mitigations.

Note that there are systems (down-hole monitoring for example) that do indeed work at extreme temperatures. They often have lifetimes of weeks to months.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by solarix
                              The original SolarEdge optimizers had no electrolytic caps in them. I checked before getting involved with them and was the reason I thought they would be better than the Enphase design. Still had a bunch of them fail within two years.
                              The newer optimizers have been out for some time now. We have have very few failures. The failures we have had can easily be traced to a few installers with poor practices, easily corrected with training.
                              The equipment is improved and proven, Do you base your auto purchase decisions on the reliability of cars made in the 1970s?

Comment

• ButchDeal
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Mike90250
                                low power (as in 10's of watts) vs 100w+ And the complex parts are usually in the passenger cabin
                                neither is typically true of any hybrid system.

Comment

Working...