X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by drmtesta
    To be honest, we have not found the 15-25% increase in cost for the SP system that has been reported by others. It's expensive, but only about 10% more expensive than comparable LG or Kyocera systems. If it was 20% higher we wouldn't do it.
    If it's more than 5 %,I'd have a hard time justifying the difference in initial price.

Comment

• drmtesta
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by sensij
      Some of those points are factual, others, less so. Sullivan lost all credibility with me when they started marketing BS about net metering ending this summer, so I'm not inclined to believe them on the points that can not be verified in the public record.

Edit: I'm not sure I would use failures in what is described as a beta test as a knock against any particular system. That is what beta testing is for, after all.

Double edit: The transformerless inverters made by SMA have also been on the market only a few years. NEC didn't really allow them before that. Claiming that SMA the company is better just because they have been around longer is strikes me as the same kind of fallacy they are trying to accuse others of. There is no way to know who will be around in the future, any company can disappear at any time. SolarEdge is likely to go public this year, so the point about private ownership doesn't carry much weight any more either.
      Helpful, thank you

Comment

• drmtesta
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Ian S
        The arguments made in the email make some sense. I would take issue with #3, though. It is not unusual for a new and growing private company to seek additional funding for growth. If they get that funding, I'd say it's a positive not a negative. In fact, there's a good chance that Solar Edge will go public in an IPO this year. That article also states that the company was profitable for the last six month of 2014. I find it interesting that Solar Edge seems to be catching up quickly to Enphase in number of units shipped. Item #5 is careful not to state which optimizers they found problematic - it's unclear whether they tested what Solar Edge is currently selling.

That installer appears to be fairly conservative - going with the tried and true - and there's nothing wrong with that. SMA has an enviable and lengthy track record which is a real plus in this business.
        Thank you!

Comment

• drmtesta
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
          If it's more than 5 %,I'd have a hard time justifying the difference in initial price.
          I hear you. . . and we are probably paying more for the name. But the overage in the great scheme of the total price is not monumental. Our goal was not to just get the lowest price, but to also feel comfortable with what we are purchasing. . .we'll be in this house for a long time. As you know, figuring this stuff out is a bear. . .so much information, misinformation and ambiguity.
          Thanks!!

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by drmtesta
            I hear you. . . and we are probably paying more for the name. But the overage in the great scheme of the total price is not monumental. Our goal was not to just get the lowest price, but to also feel comfortable with what we are purchasing. . .we'll be in this house for a long time. As you know, figuring this stuff out is a bear. . .so much information, misinformation and ambiguity.
            Thanks!!
            Amen on the bear part.

Comment

• s_man
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Ian S
              The arguments made in the email make some sense. I would take issue with #3, though. It is not unusual for a new and growing private company to seek additional funding for growth. If they get that funding, I'd say it's a positive not a negative. In fact, there's a good chance that Solar Edge will go public in an IPO this year. That article also states that the company was profitable for the last six month of 2014. I find it interesting that Solar Edge seems to be catching up quickly to Enphase in number of units shipped. Item #5 is careful not to state which optimizers they found problematic - it's unclear whether they tested what Solar Edge is currently selling.

That installer appears to be fairly conservative - going with the tried and true - and there's nothing wrong with that. SMA has an enviable and lengthy track record which is a real plus in this business.
              I believe SolarEdge just listed on 03/26/15 and now seems their market cap is even larger than Enphase or SMA
              Discover real-time SolarEdge Technologies, Inc. Common Stock (SEDG) stock prices, quotes, historical data, news, and Insights for informed trading and investment decisions. Stay ahead with Nasdaq.

Discover real-time Enphase Energy, Inc. Common Stock (ENPH) stock prices, quotes, historical data, news, and Insights for informed trading and investment decisions. Stay ahead with Nasdaq.

Comment

• Ian S
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by s_man
                I believe SolarEdge just listed on 03/26/15 and now seems their market cap is even larger than Enphase or SMA
                Discover real-time SolarEdge Technologies, Inc. Common Stock (SEDG) stock prices, quotes, historical data, news, and Insights for informed trading and investment decisions. Stay ahead with Nasdaq.

Discover real-time Enphase Energy, Inc. Common Stock (ENPH) stock prices, quotes, historical data, news, and Insights for informed trading and investment decisions. Stay ahead with Nasdaq.

http://www.google.com/finance?cid=729041
                Good catch!

Comment

• s_man
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by HX_Guy
                  What does she like about that company vs the one offering SolarEdge? I can help do some convincing maybe.
                  I am debating between the SMA and the SolarEdge too. Seem SMA has advantage of the Secure Power Outlet and long term track record. SolarEdge has advantage of individual panel monitoring vs whole system monitoring, and may be a bit more efficient (but more chances of failure with the optimizers?). Do I miss anything more convincing?

Comment

• inetdog
                    Super Moderator
                    • May 2012

I am debating between the SMA and the SolarEdge too. Seem SMA has advantage of the Secure Power Outlet and long term track record. SolarEdge has advantage of individual panel monitoring vs whole system monitoring, and may be a bit more efficient (but more chances of failure with the optimizers?). Do I miss anything more convincing?
                    The most convincing argument applies only to people in areas that have already adopted the 2014 NEC and so have to satisfy the Rapid Shutdown requirement on the DC side.
                    If the SMA inverter is mounted more than ten feet from the edge of the array you will need to factor in the significant cost of a DC combiner panel that includes Rapid Shutdown technology. Such as the Midnite Solar Birdhouse at over $500.
                    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• s_man
                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by inetdog
                      The most convincing argument applies only to people in areas that have already adopted the 2014 NEC and so have to satisfy the Rapid Shutdown requirement on the DC side.
                      If the SMA inverter is mounted more than ten feet from the edge of the array you will need to factor in the significant cost of a DC combiner panel that includes Rapid Shutdown technology. Such as the Midnite Solar Birdhouse at over $500.
                      Thanks for your input! I kinda like the SMA secured power outlet in case of disaster.

Comment

• inetdog
                        Super Moderator
                        • May 2012

Thanks for your input! I kinda like the SMA secured power outlet in case of disaster.
                        it does have a certain attraction to it.
                        I have not heard from anyone who has actually been in a situation to use it, but it seems well engineered for its purpose.
                        You do have to figure in the cost of the additional wiring to install the receptacle and switch and cords to get power from there to wherever you need it.
                        I would not try connecting it to my regular house wiring with a transfer switch since it just does not have the load capacity to be particularly useful that way.
                        Last edited by inetdog; 04-10-2015, 07:14 PM.
                        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• s_man
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by inetdog
                          it does have a certain attraction to it.
                          I have not heard from anyone who has actually been in a situation to use it, but it seems well engineered for its purpose.
                          You do have to figure in the cost of the additional wiring to install the receptacle and switch and cords to get power from there to wherever you need it.
                          I would not try connecting it to my regular house wiring with a transfer switch since it just does not have the load capacity to be particular useful that way.
                          I see, not that easy money then . One more question for the contractors. Thanks!

Comment

• nomadh
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by solar pete
                            Hi All,

I for one would be going with 2 x SB5000 you get two power outlets in the event of a black out, and I believe SMA lengthy business history is precisely why they should be considered. Solar Edge might be ok but no one can tell you of an example of one that has been working for 15 + years, I can with SMA.
                            I think I agree here with having the 2 sma's. having 2 1500 watt emergency outlets sounds great.
                            If you have no shading issues Id go sunnyboy but it looks like you might have a more complex system with some shade issues.
                            I know I do. Currently I'm stuck in between these 2 currently myself. If solar edge would come out with emergency power on their inverter I'd be sold right now. Do you care about the offline power of the sunnyboy?
                            If not then solar edge seems killer tech. Solar edge has power opt modules available in euorope that can be applied to a sunnyboy SMA system but we can't get them here.

Comment

• ericf1
                              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by nomadh
                              If solar edge would come out with emergency power on their inverter I'd be sold right now.
                              I imagine the emergency outlet has got to be on SE's list of features to incorporate. It seems they already have the ability to dynamically adjust the PV power production at the panel level to match a load, so there is zero feed-in to the utility. I think this could be adapted to provide "emergency power" that would only be limited by what power is available from the array. Another possible application is off-grid arrays with battery systems, to limit array output when the battery bank is fully charged.
                              24xLG300N+SE7600 [url]http://tiny.cc/n7ucvx[/url]

Comment

• M.solar
                                • Apr 2015

Does solaredge provide a worthwhile difference with partial shading over using a SMA inverter? I'm between two companies right now and one uses solaredge and the other will not due to solaredge not being in the business as long as SMA. Pricing is similar.

Comment

Working...