Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMA String VS Solar Edge with Power Optimizers

Hi all,
    First, thanks for all the good advice it is much appreciated.

I've been reading but can't seem to find a simple answer as to which is the better way to go . . .SMA or Solar Edge.

We are down to two systems it appears with the specs below. The Solar Edge system is only $600 more than the SMA system and produces the same kWh with one less panel. I also like that Solar Edge has a 20 year warranty on the inverter (upgrade included in price) vs 10 for SMA (appx $2,200 to extend warranty), there is only one of them and you get some micro inverter benefits such as individual panel monitoring. Both systems produce about 5% more than our current usage and we want that extra production.

What say you based on below? Thanks in advance!! Please let me know if you want any further information.

SMA System:
    9.468 AC (18,599 kWH system production)
    33 Sun Power SPR 327 NE-WHT-D Panels
    2 SMA SB5000TL-US Inverters

Solar Edge System:
    9.36 AC (18,561 kWh system production)
    32 Sun Power SPR 327 NE-WHT-D Panels
    Solar Edge SE10000A-US Interver
    Solar Edge Power Optimizers (32)

I don't see why you wouldn't go with the SolarEdge. $600 is peanuts in the grand scheme of the whole system plus as you said, it comes with double the warranty so there is value in that alone. Inverters will fail sooner or later and it looks like you have 2 SMA's, which means 2 to replaces probably outside of warranty. The panel level monitoring is also fantastic. Aside from the gee-wiz neat factor, it's actually useful in knowing if a panel isn't working correctly or maybe has a huge bird crap on it.

Comment

Originally posted by drmtesta View Post
      Hi all,
      First, thanks for all the good advice it is much appreciated.

I've been reading but can't seem to find a simple answer as to which is the better way to go . . .SMA or Solar Edge.

We are down to two systems it appears with the specs below. The Solar Edge system is only $600 more than the SMA system and produces the same kWh with one less panel. I also like that Solar Edge has a 20 year warranty on the inverter (upgrade included in price) vs 10 for SMA (appx $2,200 to extend warranty), there is only one of them and you get some micro inverter benefits such as individual panel monitoring. Both systems produce about 5% more than our current usage and we want that extra production.

What say you based on below? Thanks in advance!! Please let me know if you want any further information.

SMA System:
      9.468 AC (18,599 kWH system production)
      33 Sun Power SPR 327 NE-WHT-D Panels
      2 SMA SB5000TL-US Inverters

Solar Edge System:
      9.36 AC (18,561 kWh system production)
      32 Sun Power SPR 327 NE-WHT-D Panels
      Solar Edge SE10000A-US Interver
      Solar Edge Power Optimizers (32)
      If those are the only 2 choices, I would go with B for the nice monitoring.

Comment

Something doesn't add up here: you have systems with the exact same panel giving pretty much the same power except than one of the systems does it with one less panel. That said, does the SMA system include the power outlet option that will provide some power when the grid is down and the sun is shining? That would likely be the only reason for going with that system. If there's any shading, the Solar Edge would obviously be preferable. And the pricing on the latter is very attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian S View Post
          Something doesn't add up here: you have systems with the exact same panel giving pretty much the same power except than one of the systems does it with one less panel. That said, does the SMA system include the power outlet option that will provide some power when the grid is down and the sun is shining? That would likely be the only reason for going with that system. If there's any shading, the Solar Edge would obviously be preferable. And the pricing on the latter is very attractive.
          Your question about power is one of the reasons I posted the question. He said the efficiency of the Solar Edge system compensates for the dropped panel. Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by HX_Guy View Post
            I don't see why you wouldn't go with the SolarEdge. $600 is peanuts in the grand scheme of the whole system plus as you said, it comes with double the warranty so there is value in that alone. Inverters will fail sooner or later and it looks like you have 2 SMA's, which means 2 to replaces probably outside of warranty. The panel level monitoring is also fantastic. Aside from the gee-wiz neat factor, it's actually useful in knowing if a panel isn't working correctly or maybe has a huge bird crap on it.
            Thanks for the reply. Do you see any issue with dropping a panel in the Solar Edge system. . .they are claiming it will generate essentially the same kWh.

Comment

The efficiency rating of the SMA is 97.0% CEC/97.6% Max while the SolarEdge is 97.5% CEC/98% Max...not sure that small of a percentage is enough to compensate for 1 less panel...I guess the math could be figured out though.

Comment

The efficiency rating of the SMA is 97.0% CEC/97.6% Max while the SolarEdge is 97.5% CEC/98% Max...not sure that small of a percentage is enough to compensate for 1 less panel...I guess the math could be figured out though.
                The system output is a bit smaller with the Solar Edge. . .10.79 for SMA and 10.4 for the Solar Edge. I guess it make sense then.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian S View Post
                  Something doesn't add up here: you have systems with the exact same panel giving pretty much the same power except than one of the systems does it with one less panel.
                  The Installer might just be adjusting system losses for inverter and panel mismatch in PVWatts.

Comparing local systems on PVOutput.org, I have noticed the SE systems do outperform traditional string arrays by a pretty good margin, even when there is no/minimal shading. A more efficient inverter and eliminating panel mismatch losses probably explains some of the difference.
                  24xLG300N+SE7600 [url]http://tiny.cc/n7ucvx[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by ericf1 View Post
                    The Installer might just be adjusting system losses for inverter and panel mismatch in PVWatts.

Comparing local systems on PVOutput.org, I have noticed the SE systems do outperform traditional string arrays by a pretty good margin, even when there is no/minimal shading. A more efficient inverter and eliminating panel mismatch losses probably explains some of the difference.
                    So one of the competing companies came back with a matched offer using an SMA 10,000 inverter rather than 2 - 5,000 inverters. Does this change anything or is Solor Edge still the way to go? Any disadvantages to a single larger inverter. Both systems would have 20 year warranties.

Comment

One inverter is probably better than two...less to fail, but I'd still go SolarEdge 100% without doubt.

I mean how can you say no to this?

Comment

One inverter is probably better than two...less to fail, but I'd still go SolarEdge 100% without doubt.

I mean how can you say no to this?

Nice!! My wife likes the company with the single SMA inverter. I like Solar Edge. . .we'll see how that works out LOL

Comment

What does she like about that company vs the one offering SolarEdge? I can help do some convincing maybe.

Comment

What does she like about that company vs the one offering SolarEdge? I can help do some convincing maybe.
                            We had a bad experience with the company providing the Solar Edge system. They pulled hard sell technique, sign by tomorrow thing we didn't like. They apologized and we are dealing with a different rep. The company my wife likes was overall much more professional and detailed in their approach. We asked them to come close in price and they did. Bottom line is all of these installers are young companies. Even if they are attached to an older, larger company. They are divisions that can be shut down and my sense is the larger company would not be liable. Feels like the risk is essentially the same with whoever you choose (meaning risk of going under). IDK.

Comment

Any reason why the "good" company can't do SolarEdge?

Comment

Working...
                              X