This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two or more chargecontroller 1 PV

Suppose i have one battery of 150Ah and two smaller batteries which i intend to place in diffrent rooms in the house and I install only 1 PV (array), 12v system. Each battery will be connected to a pwm chargecontroller.

Will such a setup work?
    Attached Files

So you are going to have 3 batteries with 3 battery boxes, and vents, 3 Charge controllers, 3 sets of DC wiring, bussing, fuses, etc?
    but only one solar module?

Why would you do this?
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

It will work with PWM, but not worth a dam and loose a significant amount of power greater then 50% . Another person stuck inside a 12 volt low voltage box.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post
        So you are going to have 3 batteries with 3 battery boxes, and vents, 3 Charge controllers, 3 sets of DC wiring, bussing, fuses, etc?
        but only one solar module?

Why would you do this?
        Plan to buy a 340Wp panel and 150Ah battery. Many times im not at home during the day and intend to store the waste energy. Also for some lights only i intend to buy only 50 Ah battery. So i thought of two chargecontrollers and put the panel on the roof in the middle above the two spaces cq batteries. If this work perhaps later another 50Ah.

But if as Sunking said the efficiency is low i better buy two panels and two cc. I intend to have dc loads only and put the different batteries as near as the loads to avoid cabling losses.

Comment

Originally posted by fivewin View Post

Plan to buy a 340Wp panel and 150Ah battery. Many times im not at home during the day and intend to store the waste energy. .
          Just exactly how do you plan to do that?

MSEE, PE

Comment

I disagree that 100% dc is ineffective, especially for ledlighting with wireless system.
            Modulair dc setup can even with a 12v system be effective if you are able to consume as much as possible surplus during the day, like pumping water. Even without surplus i think it can be effective when all appliances like fridge, fans etc..are dc. In a tropical country with a non aircon house where till late in the evening, even watching dc tv, one spend most of the time the the terrace why wasting energy with conversiom to ac.
            So, kiss goodbye to inverters, edison Smiles @home and Tesla works in factories only.
            Example of 100% free DC pumping: https://www.facebook.com/plunten.joz...6783777786407/

Comment

Plan to buy a 340Wp panel and 150Ah battery. Many times im not at home during the day and intend to store the waste energy. Also for some lights only i intend to buy only 50 Ah battery. So i thought of two chargecontrollers and put the panel on the roof in the middle above the two spaces cq batteries. If this work perhaps later another 50Ah.

But if as Sunking said the efficiency is low i better buy two panels and two cc. I intend to have dc loads only and put the different batteries as near as the loads to avoid cabling losses.
              You are trading high systems losses and complexity for potential dc loses that are easily solved with an ac distribution system that would be cheaper, safer, and more efficient.

i certainly would not want to maintain 3 separate systems all over the house and venting, watering etc.
              just think of the inefficiencies, extra power in one system can not be used in any other system as well.

Comment

Ok, if two or more cc is inefficient i will not do this. But, I disagree that 100% dc is ineffective, especially for ledlighting with wireless system. Modulair dc setup can even with a 12v system be effective if you are able to consume as much as possible surplus during the day, like pumping water. Even without surplus i think it can be effective when all appliances like fridge, fans etc..are dc. In a tropical country with a non aircon house where till late in the evening, even watching dc tv, one spend most of the time @ a terrace why wasting energy with conversiom to ac.

So, kiss goodbye to inverters, edison Smiles @home and Tesla works in factories only.

Example of 100% free DC pumping:
                https://www.facebook.com/plunten.joz...6783777786407/
                Last edited by fivewin; 05-11-2018, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Ok, if two or more cc is inefficient i will not do this. But, I disagree that 100% dc is ineffective, especially for ledlighting with wireless system. Modulair dc setup can even with a 12v system be effective if you are able to consume as much as possible surplus during the day, like pumping water. Even without surplus i think it can be effective when all appliances like fridge, fans etc..are dc. In a tropical country with a non aircon house where till late in the evening, even watching dc tv, one spend most of the time @ a terrace why wasting energy with conversiom to ac.

https://www.facebook.com/plunten.joz...6783777786407/
                  Interesting though not novel in any way., and no different from doing the same thing with AC. You may have issues with Tesla but remember that he also did much of the inventing for Edison before going off on his own.
                  Your issue is that what you are trying to save in inefficiency of inverter you are going to lose in inefficiency if everything else. If you want to live off grid combine all your SolarEdge and all your batteries into a 48v bank.
                  Yu can also save on safet equipment this way as well.

Comment

Some practicals. Lets say i need only 1 hour pumping like the above video with only 100Wp. Pump will accept max 300Wp+. The remaining pv electricity i can store it or not?

I have alo some other dc loads during the day like an exhaust fan. When there is surplus, store it.

Comment

Some practicals. Lets say i need only 1 hour pumping like the above video with only 100Wp. Pump will accept max 300Wp+. The remaining pv electricity i can store it or not?

I have alo some other dc loads during the day like an exhaust fan. When there is surplus, store it.
                      Not if you use a dc system like this. If you use an inverter and ac pump then yes happens all the time. My system and most off grid systems do exactly that.

Comment

Many home appliances are in fact dc, for example a tv. Why do a conversion dc-ac-dc.

A professor in Delft who setup "Green viIllage Dc", and many others claim that dc is more efficient. Just trying to figure it out how to do it @ my own small home.

Comment

Many home appliances are in fact dc, for example a tv. Why do a conversion dc-ac-dc.
                          Yes yes, everyone here with more than 10 posts knows that electronics are DC..
                          You have not thought of anything new here.

Comment

Originally posted by fivewin

DC and AC have their place, as any engineer knows. But I think your example is a fake. That
                            looks to me like an AC induction motor, complete with the phase shift capacitor bolted on the
                            side. The flow and pressure are way too small for that pump, probably just turned on a garden
                            hose and let it flow through. Bruce Roe

Comment

....., I disagree that 100% dc is ineffective, especially for ledlighting with wireless system.....
                              well, you said it twice, now I have to ask what is the wireless part of the system?

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                              X