X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by fivewin
    Agree, it was a bad example of pumping during peak hours. Which is more efficient? Using appliances in the evening in an offgrid situation that can run on dc power or appliances that can only run with an inverter? Ive mentioned before an example of an ac/dc tv which a guy have measured on his yacht.
    You are confusing MANY concepts and situations. AC vs DC does NOT matter in this situation. Running something during the day via AC or DC is more efficient than running at night. The difference is NOT AC or DC but the fact that you cycled the battery. You have losses in charging the battery and then in discharging the battery.

So lets do APPLES and APPLES here and toss out Solar All together. You have a battery and an appliance. You differences are going to be minor. Though it will be considerably cheaper to go AC will less wire lose, smaller wire (due to higher voltage), cheaper switches, easier to keep the battery in a safe location with vent and battery box.
    And here is the kicker. AC appliances are cheaper and there are more of them, on top of that and this is the real kicker here, for the same money in purchasing an appliance you almost always can get a more efficient one that is powered by AC....

If you do a benefits analysis of AC vs DC there are almost ZERO benefits to using DC and a hell of a lot of negatives for using it.

Or you can continue to dream up using multiple distributed batteries, DC distribution, costly DC appliances (with built in inverters), multiple charge controllers, and solar arrays to charge the multiple batteries.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• fivewin
      • Aug 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle

While I admire Tesla, you do understand that one of his experiments dealt with "natural resonance" which he determined would create a harmonic frequency that could be deadly to the human physiology.

Just saying be careful of what you ask for.
      According to this experiment its already possible without death fear

The researchers demonstrated their method, called quasistatic cavity resonance (QSCR), inside a specially built 16-by-16-foot room at their lab. They safely generated near-field standing magnetic waves that filled the interior of the room, making it possible to power several cellphones, fans and lights simultaneously. https://m.phys.org/news/2017-02-wire...y-devices.html

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

From what ive experienced till now is that electronically commutated motors (ECMs, EC motors) POWERED by dc, is rather efficient and no need an inverter connected to the battery.
        You are really dense and ignorant on top of that. I even gave you a link on what a Brushless DC Motor is and you still do not get it. If you had a clue what Electronically Commutated Motors were you would know the ECM is an Inverter aka Electronic Speed Controller. What do you think Electronic means?. You do not know the difference between Electrical and Electronic. DUH!

Let me give you a simple Ohm's Law lesson which I am sure will be way above your head, but at least a 5th grader will understand

Watts = Voltage x Amps.

Watts is heat or the amount of work being done. 745 watts = 1 Horse Power

745 watts = 12 volts x 62 amps. Means a big arse conductor that cannot deliver power for any meaningful amount of distance at 12 volts like 100 feet down a well casing hole At 100 feet down would require a 750 MCM copper conductor as big as your wrist weighing 460 pounds (204 kilograms) and cost your ignorance just over $2000 in USD. You do understand weight money right?

or

745 watts / 120 volts = 6.2 amps. Means you only need a 14 AWG conductor down that 100 foot hole weighing less 4 pounds and cost less than $5. You do understand money and weight right?

The 120 VAC motor is more efficient than the 12 volt DC motor. A DC motor 70 to 80% efficient, an AC induction motor greater than 95% efficient. So as you can clearly see you are are a looser operating at 12 VDC.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• fivewin
          • Aug 2016

Stubborn me again. Talking about money, how about this guy with his 20Wp only who can fill his watertank full during peak hours for free without a battery enough for his needs. Total investment is i think much more less than a vac 125w pump with psw inverter and much larger panel(s). https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KA-v3ucheoo

Further, it was an idea to put the powersource as close as possible to the loads so i thought of two or more batteries.

Also im still not convinced that an ac/dc appliance which i can run directly from a battery is in total less efficient than when i run that appliance with an inverter, in the evening (no charging).

A 15 watt fan which i can directly run on a battery is in total less effcient than a 15w fan that i only can run with an inverter in an offgrid situation? Will the draw be less from the battery with an inverter? Pls advise?

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Pls advise?
            No one can advise you.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Stubborn me again. Talking about money, how about this guy with his 20Wp only who can fill his watertank full during peak hours for free without a battery enough for his needs. Total investment is i think much more less than a vac 125w pump with psw inverter and much larger panel(s). https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KA-v3ucheoo

Further, it was an idea to put the powersource as close as possible to the loads so i thought of two or more batteries.

Also im still not convinced that an ac/dc appliance which i can run directly from a battery is in total less efficient than when i run that appliance with an inverter, in the evening (no charging).

A 15 watt fan which i can directly run on a battery is in total less effcient than a 15w fan that i only can run with an inverter in an offgrid situation? Will the draw be less from the battery with an inverter? Pls advise?
              Fivewin:

Keep in mind that everyone who tells you things you might not like is trying to hurt you.

That said, I've been watching your posts for over a year now, and you seem to have not benefitted much, if at all from all the posting and most of the answers you've received here.

IMO only, you need to study (or restudy) the basics of electricity, not only for yourself, but as a consideration for others who keep attempting to answer a lot of your questions that again, IMO only, you would not have asked if you had a more thorough, or at least more functional idea of the subject matter.

Comment

• fivewin
                • Aug 2016

One say this: A DC motor 70 to 80% efficient, an AC induction motor greater than 95% efficient.

Another say this on this forum about ac vs dc pumps: DC brushless motors are actually more efficient than an equivalent AC induction motor. In DC motors, the field is created by permanent magnets. In AC motors the field is created by induced current in the rotor; this is power that cannot be used for creating torque and is essentially wasted.

Im trying to learn

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2014

One say this: A DC motor 70 to 80% efficient, an AC induction motor greater than 95% efficient.

Another say this on this forum about ac vs dc pumps: DC brushless motors are actually more efficient than an equivalent AC induction motor.
                  a DC brushless motor IS and AC motor.

This has been stated repeatedly in this thread.

In DC motors, the field is created by permanent magnets. In AC motors the field is created by induced current in the rotor; this is power that cannot be used for creating torque and is essentially wasted.
                  you can have permanent magnet motors in AC or DC.
                  ALL electric motors have at least TWO magnetic fields. One on the rotor and one surrounding it.
                  Only one of them can be permanent magnets.
                  There are Permanent Magnet AC motors

Here we expound on some engineering caveats and compare all three options for specific situations — with a special focus on permanent-magnet motors for engineers who haven't used...

Im trying to learn
                  no you are not.
                  OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Another say this on this forum about ac vs dc pumps: DC brushless motors are actually more efficient than an equivalent AC induction motor.
                    A DC Brushless motor is an AC motor. You have been told that many times and incapable of learning.

Im trying to learn
                    Quit wasting our and your time. Two years here, and you have not learned anything after being told repeatably over and over again.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Someone will always read Fivewin's posts and attempt to respond. I'm coming around to the opinion he's not doing much more here than dancing with our collective leg like an overactive dog that needs nutting. Even if legit, he doesn't seem to be benefitting from the responses he gets. Where's the benefit to anyone ?

Comment

• bcroe
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                        Someone will always read Fivewin's posts and attempt to respond. Where's the benefit to anyone ?
                        I gave him a response. Now I'm just sitting back and laughing. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

I have taught several students the basic fundamentals of Ohm's Law. It is literally the first week lesson of DC fundamentals of 12 equations. After a week a good student grasp the fundamentals and relationships of voltage, current, power, and resistance. Here we are two years later and have not made any progress. I can only conclude the student is a lost cause. Ohm' Law is very easy.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• fivewin
                            • Aug 2016

This 12v american guy is wise
                            An archive of the complete 31-year history of Home Power magazine. 188 digital back issues capture a three decade history of the renewable energy movement in the U.S. and beyond. Each issue is available for non-commercial use at no cost to registered members of this site.

Small low voltgage systems for boat, cabins etc make sense, same for millions of houses here as described in my previous posts.

Why run an ac/dc appliance with an inverter while you can run these with dc power only with less amps on 12v? Even huge capacity grundfos ac/dc pumps its more efficient to run these with dc especially if you are on solar.

As for copper, ive posted about an experiment with wireless harmless power transfer, sooner or later kiss goodbye to awg's without fear of death.

Have a pleasant day.

Comment

• littleharbor
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2016

"Why run an ac/dc appliance with an inverter while you can run these with dc power only with less amps on 12v?"

How many times and how many ways does it have to get explained to you till you get it?
                              My one and only comment here. Stop wasting our time.
                              This was entertaining reading, for a while. Now, it's just gotten frustrating.
                              2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• fivewin
                                • Aug 2016

Quote:
                                Brushless DC motors, on the other hand, will outperform AC motors in almost every regard.

* 1 horsepower AC = 750W. A 500W multi-pole 3 phase DC motor will do a similar job (around one third less power is required)
                                * 2-3 times the motor life
                                * 70% quieter

Is the above just marketing bs or facts? Or do some posters here have to learn more?

Comment

Working...