Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leave Edison and Tesla as they are and coming back to my initial post im wondering wether millions of non aircon small houses, max 50m2, in the tropical country where i am now is it not better with low voltage small solar system enough to run a small dc compressor fridge, tv and some lights and perhaps also 1 hour pumping from a 4-5m deep well and one or two fans.

Will you use an inverter if its possible to have dc appliances and if all are running the draw is less than 200watt with total energy use of less than 1Kwh per day?

So i thought perhaps its handy to have two powersources as close as possible to the loads, one for the fridge + pump and one for the other loads.

Small tiny houses are also becoming popular in western countries. Perhaps you can advise me.

Comment

Fridge, fans and pumps. Now getting well beyond the range of a couple LED lights. Most affordable small fridges will consume 1kwh a day. And will need AC. Pumps generally run off an AC motor. Fans, the brushless ones are AC too. (you can get a DC computer fan, but it has a AC gadget inside that makes the blade spin) So now you have 3 sizeable loads needing AC.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I use this tiny brushless 19watt 12v pump to pump to my watertank 3.5m high for already 3 years, only 20-30 minutes per day.

Danfoss fridge draws 3-4 amp @12v.

If the above is ac so be it but i can run it directly with solar panel or a 12v battery.
        Attached Files

Comment

About wireless home electricity I can imagine that instead of lego trains continiously running with WI-CHARGE leds are burning.

You do not have to fear for death.

Http://wi-charge.com

Comment

Originally posted by fivewin View Post
            Danfoss fridge draws 3-4 amp @12v..
            You just proved you have no clue about the technology or what makes it work. Dan Frost compressors use an AC Inverter. Another point all DC Brushless Motors are AC and use a VFD. Try educating yourself or you are a doomed Flat Earther.
            Last edited by Sunking; 05-14-2018, 09:21 AM.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Perhaps you did not read my previous post thoroughly: "If the above is ac so be it but i can run it directly with solar panel or a 12v battery."

So tell me, will you use a dc-ac inverter and run ac appliances which can not run directly with solar panel or battery for the above described situation?

Btw there is a 22watt fridge freezer also on the market, ac only.

Comment

You are really proving you do not know anything about power and making everything up. Children do not fear death. That is why they play in a busy street, play with fire, and look down the barrel of a loaded gun. You clearly do not understand power and the relationship of voltage, current, watts, and resistance. If you did you would understand how foolish your ideas are. I am done with you, you are not capable of understanding and learning.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

About wireless home electricity I can imagine that instead of lego trains continiously running with WI-CHARGE leds are burning.

You do not have to fear for death.

Http://wi-charge.com
                  Using infrared light to transmit control signals is old news. Using similar technology to charge something seems very inefficient considering the amount of power going over that wavelength would be very minimal. You would need to keep a phone under that "light" for hours to get any charge amount since most phones consume a lot of their battery power because of the Apps that are turned on.

Comment

From what ive experienced till now is that electronically commutated motors (ECMs, EC motors) POWERED by dc, is rather efficient and no need an inverter connected to the battery.

Also they say real savings are when you use appliances which draw less amps. So, this stubborn guy think that a small house do not need inverters or grid power when u can get what they call dc fridges and dc brushless pumps.

Comment

From what ive experienced till now is that electronically commutated motors (ECMs, EC motors) POWERED by dc, is rather efficient and no need an inverter connected to the battery.

Also they say real savings are when you use appliances which draw less amps. So, this stubborn guy think that a small house do not need inverters or grid power when u can get what they call dc fridges and dc brushless pumps.

If you can live in a small house using DC power appliances you are probably in the 1% category for most people in the US similar to those that want to live in a Yurt.

Unfortunately most people in the US can't live without their electrical appliances which consume a lot of kWh daily. Maybe in places that people grew up without any or very little power would feel comfortable using those small DC appliances but I am afraid not most of us would not want to live that way.

If you are comfortable with that wireless technology to keep your stuff charged, then enjoy it but please don't try to convince the rest of us that it is the "new wave" of living.

Comment

Also they say real savings are when you use appliances which draw less amps.
                        Who are they? On the internet you can find a group of they that will say anything.

if you really want to ( for some moronic reason ) use less amps then it does not matter if you use AC or DC just use higher voltage. Amps will drop with higher voltage. Of course kWh will be exactly the same.
                        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Where i live i think millions of people use a 125w ac well pump to pump water from a 4-5 meter deep well. If i want to run such a pump offgrid i need a psw inverter.

Give me a good reason why i should not use a brusless pump with dc low voltage power and less wattage to achieve the same result but perhaps need few minutes more (sun) time during peak hours. Herr puekert i think will like this more so my battery hopefully lives longer.

Just as an example.
                          Last edited by fivewin; 05-14-2018, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Where i live i think millions of people use a 125w ac well pump to pump water from a 4-5 meter deep well. If i want to run such a pump offgrid i need a psw inverter.

Give me a good reason why i should not use a brusless pump with dc low voltage power and less wattage to achieve the same result but perhaps need few minutes more (sun) time during peak hours. Herr puekert i think will like this more so my battery hopefully lives longer.

Just as an example.
                            That is because you do not live in the US but in a country that has very little power generation with a population that can survive on a few kWh daily.

Look I feel that if you can live the way you are describing using DC appliances then great. But it will not work here in the US which is where I live so either be more specific in your posts or stop trying to convince the rest of us that low voltage DC is the way to go.

Comment

First: Brushless motors are AC motors. They use a motor controller which IS an inverter. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushl...electric_motor

Second using a low wattage DC or brushless motor would get you the EXACT same results as using a low wattage AC motor and decent inverter, especially as far as the battery and Puekert is concerned.

You would have lower water flow, would pump longer, and use about the same power....

Third: if you need more sun even just a few minutes more sun, then it is actually using MORE power than the other option and thus it is less efficient.

Fourth: if you only pump during sun hours when the battery is charging, and only when there is sufficient power to pump and still charge, then the battery will not care, cycle, or even know anything about the load. It doesn't matter if you use DC or AC power in this case.
                              Last edited by ButchDeal; 05-14-2018, 12:30 PM.
                              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Agree, it was a bad example of pumping during peak hours. Which is more efficient? Using appliances in the evening in an offgrid situation that can run on dc power or appliances that can only run with an inverter? Ive mentioned before an example of an ac/dc tv which a guy have measured on his yacht.

Comment

Working...
                                X