This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two or more chargecontroller 1 PV

Suppose i have one battery of 150Ah and two smaller batteries which i intend to place in diffrent rooms in the house and I install only 1 PV (array), 12v system. Each battery will be connected to a pwm chargecontroller.

Will such a setup work?
    Attached Files

It will work with PWM, but not worth a dam and loose a significant amount of power greater then 50% . Another person stuck inside a 12 volt low voltage box.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal
      So you are going to have 3 batteries with 3 battery boxes, and vents, 3 Charge controllers, 3 sets of DC wiring, bussing, fuses, etc?
      but only one solar module?

Why would you do this?
      Plan to buy a 340Wp panel and 150Ah battery. Many times im not at home during the day and intend to store the waste energy. Also for some lights only i intend to buy only 50 Ah battery. So i thought of two chargecontrollers and put the panel on the roof in the middle above the two spaces cq batteries. If this work perhaps later another 50Ah.

But if as Sunking said the efficiency is low i better buy two panels and two cc. I intend to have dc loads only and put the different batteries as near as the loads to avoid cabling losses.

Comment

Originally posted by fivewin View Post

Plan to buy a 340Wp panel and 150Ah battery. Many times im not at home during the day and intend to store the waste energy. .
        Just exactly how do you plan to do that?

MSEE, PE

Comment

I disagree that 100% dc is ineffective, especially for ledlighting with wireless system.
          Modulair dc setup can even with a 12v system be effective if you are able to consume as much as possible surplus during the day, like pumping water. Even without surplus i think it can be effective when all appliances like fridge, fans etc..are dc. In a tropical country with a non aircon house where till late in the evening, even watching dc tv, one spend most of the time the the terrace why wasting energy with conversiom to ac.
          So, kiss goodbye to inverters, edison Smiles @home and Tesla works in factories only.
          Example of 100% free DC pumping: https://www.facebook.com/plunten.joz...6783777786407/

Comment

Ok, if two or more cc is inefficient i will not do this. But, I disagree that 100% dc is ineffective, especially for ledlighting with wireless system. Modulair dc setup can even with a 12v system be effective if you are able to consume as much as possible surplus during the day, like pumping water. Even without surplus i think it can be effective when all appliances like fridge, fans etc..are dc. In a tropical country with a non aircon house where till late in the evening, even watching dc tv, one spend most of the time @ a terrace why wasting energy with conversiom to ac.

So, kiss goodbye to inverters, edison Smiles @home and Tesla works in factories only.

Example of 100% free DC pumping:
            https://www.facebook.com/plunten.joz...6783777786407/
            Last edited by fivewin; 05-12-2018, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Some practicals. Lets say i need only 1 hour pumping like the above video with only 100Wp. Pump will accept max 300Wp+. The remaining pv electricity i can store it or not?

I have alo some other dc loads during the day like an exhaust fan. When there is surplus, store it.

Comment

Many home appliances are in fact dc, for example a tv. Why do a conversion dc-ac-dc.

A professor in Delft who setup "Green viIllage Dc", and many others claim that dc is more efficient. Just trying to figure it out how to do it @ my own small home.

Comment

Originally posted by fivewin

Example of 100% free DC pumping:
                  DC and AC have their place, as any engineer knows. But I think your example is a fake. That
                  looks to me like an AC induction motor, complete with the phase shift capacitor bolted on the
                  side. The flow and pressure are way too small for that pump, probably just turned on a garden
                  hose and let it flow through. Bruce Roe

Comment

....., I disagree that 100% dc is ineffective, especially for ledlighting with wireless system.....
                    well, you said it twice, now I have to ask what is the wireless part of the system?

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Like this guy installed in his shed:

MiWi Wireless Networking Protocol Stack is a simple protocol designed for low data rate, short distance, low-cost networks. Fundamentally based on IEEE 802.15.4 for Wireless Personal Area Networks (WPANs), it was later expanded to support Microchip's proprietary RF transceiver

https://www.edn.com/design/led/44369...ighting-system

Comment

But, I disagree that 100% dc is ineffective
                        Then you are mistaken and do not understand basic fundamentals. DC is not even the issue, so I have no clue what you are talking about, and neither do you. So how can you make such claims when you do not know what you are talking about.

The issue is LOW VOLTAGE is inefficient for power transmission. Exact reason why utilities do not use low voltage. Even the USA 240/120 is inefficient, we got stuck with it because of Edison's ignorance and did not listen to Tesla. JP Morgan listened and bought Tesla and Westinghouse. Edison's Light bulb used 110 volt DC and was a decision made out of pure greed and ignorance. The USA was the first to electrify, and we got stuck with 240/120. Europe did something smarter, they went with 240 volts and thus are 400% more efficient.

So what is the issue with low voltage. Well it is extremely simple, low voltage means high current. With respect to power (watt or heat energy), voltage and heat are inversely proportional which is clearly evident in the formula Watt = Voltage x Current. As a practical matter in a proper electrical design you want to limit losses to 3% of voltage and power. Very simple to understand 3% of 12 volts = 0.36 volts and 3% of 120 volts = 3.6 volts.

Example if you have a very small 100 watt load say 50 feet; what is required using 12 or 120 volts and limit power loss to 3%. At 12 volts DC 100 watts / 12 volts = 8.33 amps and by code the minimum required conductor would have to be 14 AWG with a 10 amp breaker. Just one problem, at 50 feet distance you would loose 2.9 volts and incur a 25% voltage drop. You device would not even work. To get down to 3% would require 4 AWG. Well 14 AWG conductor cost 9-cents per foot and 4 AWG cost 90-cents per foot and at 100 feet $9 vs $90.

Do this at 120 volts still requires the code minimum 14 AWG and you could use a 20 amp breaker to have something much more useful and economical. That same 100 watt load you had to use a very expensive dedicated circuit for a single 100 watt gizmo, at 120 volts uses .83 amps and you only loose 0.2% of your power and you now can run up to 1400 watts (14 gizmos on a single circuit) on a single circuit up to 50 feet on 14 AWG wire AC or DC.

That is why utilities use high voltage, and Edison low voltage DC system is history , and the world uses Tesla high voltage AC system. So you can do it your way, or......
                        Last edited by Sunking; 05-12-2018, 12:40 PM.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

Like this guy installed in his shed:

MiWi Wireless Networking Protocol Stack is a simple protocol designed for low data rate, short distance, low-cost networks. Fundamentally based on IEEE 802.15.4 for Wireless Personal Area Networks (WPANs), it was later expanded to support Microchip's proprietary RF transceiver

https://www.edn.com/design/led/44369...ighting-system
                          Wireless Controlled lighting system. For a minute, I thought you had wireless lighting.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Wireless electricity like tesla coil? Awaiting further development. I think its coming.

Sunking,

Quote: The Google boys, Sergei and Larry, think this is dumb too. Engineers at Google, tired of running tens of thousands of computers with inefficient power supplies, have proposed a new standard for "high efficiency power supplies for home computers and servers" based on everything running on 12 volts only.

https://www.treehugger.com/sustainab...2-volt-dc.html

Comment

Google cannot change Ohms Law. Nor can they change the price of copper. Example of how ignorant the article is.

Revise our current wiring codes to reduce the number of 110V outlets and circuits required. Now most electrical codes demand outlets every 12 feet, in every ceiling, duplex outlets in kitchens. Copper is expensive and its mining is destructive; if there is 12VDC wiring then an outlet per room for the vacuum cleaner is all that is needed.
                              Ohms Law gets in the way. 1/10 the voltage (12 volts vs 120 volts) takes 100 times more copper for a given power and distance. Tree huggers forget about science and reality. Talk about horrible for the environment and resources. The last city and really the only city that used Edison's DC system was Manhattan Island NYC NY. The last of it was decommissioned 11 years ago in 2007.

Amps = Watts / Voltage

A 20 amp 120 volt circuit can deliver 16 amps continuous for a total of 1920 watt suing 12 AWG conductor up to 75-feet @ 3% loss. To do the same thing at 12 volt DC requires a 200 amp circuit running 160 amps on 750 MCM cable.

12 AWG cost $09/ft and weighs .023 pounds per foot.
                              750 MCM cost $9.95/ft and weighs 2.4 pounds per foot.

Do the math 100 times more expensive and weight...

Goggle boys and Tree Huggers need to go back to school and learn Physics Environmental Impact, and Economics. DC is not the main issue, it is low voltage. The Reason DC is not used in Generation, Transmission, and Distribution is it is much more difficult and expensive to generate, regulate, (raise and lower voltages), and control. Circuits that raise and lower voltages are very prone and sensitive to outages and transients.

Put as simple as it can be said, Google cannot change the law of physics. It is like saying and believing you can run fast enough to jump into orbit or jump onto the moon.
                              Last edited by Sunking; 05-13-2018, 12:53 AM.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                              X