Noob! Noob! Noob! - regarding the Grail - Where's the best deal on Cells please?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Solaron
    • Nov 2012

Understood and I agree 100%. I've been doing some research and have discoverd I'm most likely using the meter wrong and could probably stand to use a better one too. I guess just touching positive wire on meter to positive on solar cell and same with negative is not advisable. Without a resister, I'm not going to get a good reading on the meter. Am i on the right track here?

Originally posted by green
    Your multi-meter is your best friend and most important tool in DIY electronics. Not to sound mean but you need to learn how to use yours correctly and safely. Without it you have no idea what is going on because you have no other way to measure (besides other forms of metering).

Don't feel bad though, I've been building, inventing and experimenting for over 30 years and I continue to learn new things every day. As a matter of coincidence with this topic I just bought a new multi-meter with all the bells and whistles and I am having to learn how to use it even though I already know the basics.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Solaron
      Understood and I agree 100%. I've been doing some research and have discoverd I'm most likely using the meter wrong and could probably stand to use a better one too. I guess just touching positive wire on meter to positive on solar cell and same with negative is not advisable. Without a resister, I'm not going to get a good reading on the meter. Am i on the right track here?
      You can measure the voltage that way but not the current. That requires the cell to be connected to a load like a resister or even the charger will do. You would then use a DC "clamp on" amp meter to measure the current going through the positive or negative wire.

Do you have a DC clamp on amp meter? If not then there are other in line type that have the proper electronics to measure the amperage as long as the cell is connected to some type of load. They can be purchased from a Radio Control Hobby store since there are a lot of RC that use electric motors and batteries.

Comment

• Solaron
        • Nov 2012

Well....good news is my solar panels should be alot stronger than i thought they were unless i have fried the cells by improperly measuring current. They still charge my batteries so i think they are fine. I need to invest in a decent meter i think, mine doesn't have clamps and was only about 10 bucks. Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by SunEagle
        You can measure the voltage that way but not the current. That requires the cell to be connected to a load like a resister or even the charger will do. You would then use a DC "clamp on" amp meter to measure the current going through the positive or negative wire.

Do you have a DC clamp on amp meter? If not then there are other in line type that have the proper electronics to measure the amperage as long as the cell is connected to some type of load. They can be purchased from a Radio Control Hobby store since there are a lot of RC that use electric motors and batteries.

Comment

Working...