Noob! Noob! Noob! - regarding the Grail - Where's the best deal on Cells please?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caliban
    • Mar 2013

Noob! Noob! Noob! - regarding the Grail - Where's the best deal on Cells please?

In another forum someone I assume is an old hand at all this disparaged both the quality and price of Cells offered on eBay. This while I'm sweating out a $250 bid for 255 Sharp 6x6 cells in what for all the world look like the same import boxes I'd expect to see at any panel manufacturer's shipping dock. If there's another source for them, aside from Amazon, I would dearly love to hear about it. The criticism was loud and clear, if the alternative isn't a well kept secret or non-professionals aren't excluded would someone mind sharing?

Caliban
    AKA Tim Darraugh
    Aboard Chili Pepper
    Alameda or Thereabout
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by Caliban
    In another forum someone I assume is an old hand at all this disparaged both the quality and price of Cells offered on eBay. This while I'm sweating out a $250 bid for 255 Sharp 6x6 cells in what for all the world look like the same import boxes I'd expect to see at any panel manufacturer's shipping dock. If there's another source for them, aside from Amazon, I would dearly love to hear about it. The criticism was loud and clear, if the alternative isn't a well kept secret or non-professionals aren't excluded would someone mind sharing?

Caliban
    AKA Tim Darraugh
    Aboard Chili Pepper
    Alameda or Thereabout
    Hello Caliban, etc.
    I don't think you will be lucky enough to get a recommendation on where to buy cells, just where to by good panels, since that will cost less in the short and long run.
    The boxes may come directly from the cell manufacturer, just like the ones they send to the panel makers, but what is in the box may be quite different. The cell manufacturers have to get what they can from the cells that do not meet the Grade A specs that the panel makers are willing to use. If they are still in the factory boxes, you can be reasonably confident that they are not broken in half or shorted, but not much more.

Think of it this way: If an LED manufacturer sorted his output into LEDs and DEDs (Dark Emitting Diodes) his yield from the production line would be 100%. All he has to do now is find a customer for the DEDs.
    (They make perfect readout devices for Write-Only-Memory.)
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Solaron
      • Nov 2012

Where to purchase solar cells

I use ML Solar Inc. Least expensive I've found so far and they offer both 6x6 and 3x6, A and B grade. If you buy the B Grade slightly chipped specials then you should save a bit of cash and they work just fine. They usually provide extras too. They specialize in all soalr equipment as well not just DIY solar cells. Check'em out and let me know what you think. I'm starting my 7th solar project useing their cells.

Caliban
      AKA Tim Darraugh
      Aboard Chili Pepper
      Alameda or Thereabout

Comment

• SkywaveTDR
        • Mar 2013

I can second the ML Solar supplier on E bay as you have your choice of many cells- some are A, some B and then rough edge and then broken. You pick what you are willing to work with. I have already purchased 300 of the A grade cells and from my tests so far they are no different from what a factory would use. There are the Mono and Polycrystalline types so you have a lot of choices.
        The supply is not fed so once these stocked cells are gone, then you will not see them again. In other words they are selling left over stock from a factory that has shut down. They do say they are American made cells but I saw a box with Shinsung on it which does not make me think they are American.

Comment

• russ
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by SkywaveTDR
          I can second the ML Solar supplier on E bay as you have your choice of many cells- some are A, some B and then rough edge and then broken. You pick what you are willing to work with. I have already purchased 300 of the A grade cells and from my tests so far they are no different from what a factory would use. There are the Mono and Polycrystalline types so you have a lot of choices.
          The supply is not fed so once these stocked cells are gone, then you will not see them again. In other words they are selling left over stock from a factory that has shut down. They do say they are American made cells but I saw a box with Shinsung on it which does not make me think they are American.
          Except that you can't test them properly so you have no idea - you bought somebody's line of hokey on the internet friend - like you noted about the box.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Solaron
            • Nov 2012

Why can't you test them properly? Should I buy a Chinese multimeter instead?

Originally posted by russ
            Except that you can't test them properly so you have no idea - you bought somebody's line of hokey on the internet friend - like you noted about the box.

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Solaron
              How much do you want to spend? To manufacture the equivalent panel to what commercial panels are you have to use the same equipment - if you have a few hundred - - - thousand laying around to spare then no problem.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SkywaveTDR
                • Mar 2013

Well, I am still in the testing but the seller has good ratings so far and if there were major junk coming from him there would already be a lot of complaints.
                He has already replaced so stuff that was missing so I don't see where he is trying to rip anyone off.
                Discounting the many cells that are not made at the prime sources does not help the DIY type person. If everyone just went out and paid $20,000 for a system there would be no need for this forum nor would a lot of people be going Solar as it is just out of the price they could pay. How about some support?
                People are going to go this way regardless.

Comment

• Solaron
                  • Nov 2012

So, are you against building solar panels or are you just against ML Solar Inc? Just some clarification needed.
                  How much do you want to spend? To manufacture the equivalent panel to what commercial panels are you have to use the same equipment - if you have a few hundred - - - thousand laying around to spare then no problem.

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

So, are you against building solar panels or are you just against ML Solar Inc? Just some clarification needed.
                    No clarification needed if you read the forum posts. DIY is great for a hobby or science project but nothing more. To plan to supply a home with power from a DIY system you run into all sorts of problems:

1) UL (or equivalent) approval ain't gonna happen - without that approval your home owners insurance is normally no longer valid plus the utility will most likely not let you connect to the grid.

2) Life of the panels - even the big boy manufacturers with all the right equipment run into problems - you will be spending your money on something that will be scrap in a couple of years of time. Sealing the panel against moisture is quite difficult if you don't have factory type equipment.

3) In commercial panels cells of matched characteristics are used - something you can not manage without the same type of expensive equipment.

4) Very few people have the skill set or tools to make something like a PV panel.

This forum has one small section on DIY panels - 95% or more has nothing to do with the topic.

I don't even know who ML Solar is and could not care less. Having said that I doubt they are being honest in their representation of the cells they sell - like was noted about the packing
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Caliban
                      • Mar 2013

Obstructive, misleading, and just generally not helpful critiques. Just disregard.

No clarification needed if you read the forum posts. DIY is great for a hobby or science project but nothing more. To plan to supply a home with power from a DIY system you run into all sorts of problems:

1) UL (or equivalent) approval ain't gonna happen - without that approval your home owners insurance is normally no longer valid plus the utility will most likely not let you connect to the grid.

2) Life of the panels - even the big boy manufacturers with all the right equipment run into problems - you will be spending your money on something that will be scrap in a couple of years of time. Sealing the panel against moisture is quite difficult if you don't have factory type equipment.

3) In commercial panels cells of matched characteristics are used - something you can not manage without the same type of expensive equipment.

4) Very few people have the skill set or tools to make something like a PV panel.

This forum has one small section on DIY panels - 95% or more has nothing to do with the topic.

I don't even know who ML Solar is and could not care less. Having said that I doubt they are being honest in their representation of the cells they sell - like was noted about the packing

I'm not even going to bother answering this post directly. Other than to point out that DIY is indeed being blocked bog time by inspectors in order apparently to keep commercial installers in golf money. If you aren't going to contribute to this forum please post elsewhere.

Comment

• Caliban
                        • Mar 2013

THANKS! Yes! ML Solar does seem to predominate.

I use ML Solar Inc. Least expensive I've found so far and they offer both 6x6 and 3x6, A and B grade. If you buy the B Grade slightly chipped specials then you should save a bit of cash and they work just fine. They usually provide extras too. They specialize in all soalr equipment as well not just DIY solar cells. Check'em out and let me know what you think. I'm starting my 7th solar project useing their cells.
                        Thanks for your post. I'm still hunting sources but ML comes up in most searches.

Comment

• Caliban
                          • Mar 2013

Pre testing

Originally posted by SkywaveTDR
                          Okay so are we then to proceed as though the veracity of even the best of suppliers is to be taken lightly? This brings up the issue of pre-testing. Assuming one funky cell can pretty much ruin all that labor do you peruse the cells after tabbing just to be sure? It's all in house so checking against a reference or there's even a no illumination method (3 pages of math backing this one up) would seem prudent. If you've done this, how much culling have you had to do. It would be nice to hear from someone who's actually done the work instead of hearing some knee jerk opinion.

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

I'm not even going to bother answering this post directly. Other than to point out that DIY is indeed being blocked bog time by inspectors in order apparently to keep commercial installers in golf money. If you aren't going to contribute to this forum please post elsewhere.
                            Sounds a little paranoid to me if you think people like russ are blocking others attempts to make their own solar panels. He is trying to explain that none of the single solar cell sellers have in the past and probably in the future provided Grade A units. They are selling seconds and scrap which costs them 5cents per watt and sells at 10 times that much.

If you think that people on eBay are reliable because no one has said anything bad about them then you are mistaken. Most of the time the feedback on eBay happens right after the product is received not after it has been in use for a while. By the time people realize they have purchased junk it is too late to go back and change your feedback so the seller looks as though they have a A++ rating but they really don't. People just stop buying from them but there are millions of others in the wings who want to save money and get lured into buying crap.

If you have done any research in the cost per watt of solar panels you will have seen that only 5 years ago you would need to pay close to $8/watt for a finished panel and today you can get them at and below $1/watt because the manufacturers are liquidating their warehouses.

Comment

• Caliban
                              • Mar 2013

Get the meter!

Until guys start making reports regarding the number of cells they have to cull you should probably check in house by reference cell technique. Tab the cells, get a fixed light at a fixed distance, then take your meter and start comparison checks. When you find a cell you like save it as a reference. The issue of inferior isn't going to go away until people start doing reality checks and above all sharing actual research results instead of posting unsubstantiated rumor.

I have to wait to order my first batch so no results to post yet. I will however post something by mid April.

Comment

Working...