Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tesla solar panels

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    As far as the solar roof tiles go I'm wondering how they approach the high number of connections required and how difficult it would be to locate and replace any failed/failing connections.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

      Selling more cars than another manufacturer is different then making more of a profit compared to other manufacturers. Tesla has yet to make a profit. But who knows they still may be around if enough customers plunked down their money to keep the company afloat.
      Tesla made a profit in the third quarter 2018 of $311 million and fourth quarter of 2018 with $139 million. The problem with Tesla right now is that they are building a factory in China, investing heavily in self driving, starting huge international deliveries, and trying to develop new models. If Tesla survives until they release the Model Y, they will be the most valuable car manufacturer in the world.

      BTW, Tesla makes minimum 20% gross margin on every Model 3 sold. Name another company that can do this with an EV right now with 200 plus mile range? I also don't see the big deal with using Tesla as a solar installer, especially if you are purchasing a PowerWall. A Powerwall for EV owners in California could make sense. My peak rate in summer is $0.49 per kWh. I could fully charge a Powerwall, dump the energy to the grid at almost $0.50 per kWh, and purchase a much smaller system with those credits.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
        As far as the solar roof tiles go I'm wondering how they approach the high number of connections required and how difficult it would be to locate and replace any failed/failing connections.
        Since the roof tiles are not ready for prime time a couple of years or so after rollout, they may be wondering the same thing.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

          Since the roof tiles are not ready for prime time a couple of years or so after rollout, they may be wondering the same thing.


          They really do look nice from the promo videos I've seen. The whole BS thing about them costing the same as conventional roof just kills me.

          https://www.consumerreports.org/sola...as-solar-roof/
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by littleharbor View Post



            They really do look nice from the promo videos I've seen. The whole BS thing about them costing the same as conventional roof just kills me.

            https://www.consumerreports.org/sola...as-solar-roof/
            LOl. Elon is a great spin man. By same cost he means the same cost as a high end tile roof after 30% credit which won't be available by the time they get to market.

            Comment


            • #21
              The solar tiles are only for rich people, but they are wanted in California. They are overpriced, but people want them because it is Tesla and in the surrounding Bay area it is the thing to do. I had a friend buy solar and he used Tesla over other companies without getting quotes because it was Tesla.

              Now for if a tile goes bad, Tesla has this worked out. One thing about Elon is that when he develops something he doesn't screw up on the engineering side. The engineering of his cars are second to none, especially in the EV world. Now his marketing, making rash decisions, constant price changes, etc... are quite insane. However there is a reason why the Model S can get 370 miles of range to the Audi eTron's 204 miles of range with both having about a 100 kWh battery. The curb weight of the two vehicles are also not that much different. If you have an opportunity to watch what Sandy Munro has to say about Tesla, watch it. No car is engineered better.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by littleharbor View Post



                They really do look nice from the promo videos I've seen. The whole BS thing about them costing the same as conventional roof just kills me.

                https://www.consumerreports.org/sola...as-solar-roof/
                Yea. Just like a lot of the rest of the B.S stuff Musk yammers on about. The P.T. Barnum crowd loves it.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by discodanman45 View Post
                  ..... ....If you have an opportunity to watch what Sandy Munro has to say about Tesla, watch it. No car is engineered better.
                  The first time Munroe dissected a Model 3 he wasn't as positive. When he looked at the efficiency of the motor and the "super bottle" that transfers heat he then thought differently. That was some good analysis.
                  NB here is a link to the interview on Autoline After Hours
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVnRQRdePp4
                  Last edited by Ampster; 05-06-2019, 03:32 PM. Reason: To add link
                  9 kW solar. Driving EVs since 2012

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

                    Yea. Just like a lot of the rest of the B.S stuff Musk yammers on about. The P.T. Barnum crowd loves it.
                    Haha, and you are considering a car produced by the compny that brought us dieselgate?
                    9 kW solar. Driving EVs since 2012

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Ampster View Post

                      Haha, and you are considering a car produced by the compny that brought us dieselgate?
                      Musk is threatening the oil industry and traditional utility companies, hence all the FUD on the internet him and his companies. The rise of the EV is going significantly reduce oil companies and for the first time utility companies are facing competition from customers who can now generate their own electricity. The fossil fuel companies and utility companies are trying to slow down Musk because they are trying to slow down the inevitable cut in revenue. The people with jobs and pensions tied to utility and fossil fuel industry complain the loudest about Musk.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Ampster View Post

                        Haha, and you are considering a car produced by the compny that brought us dieselgate?
                        Yea, and it's long ago founder and namesake had some pretty intimate ties to national socialism. Guess that makes all Porsche owners nazis huh ? I believe my Jewish dentist who wheels a 911 Targa might take some exception to your logic.

                        Krupp produced weapons killed, among others, a lot of Americans. They also produced the first production diesel engines based on Diesel's design. I once owned a car powered by a diesel. Want to hang that on me too ?

                        I'm about as guilty or less so for dieselgate as anyone driving a Mitsubishi vehicle is to blame for every bomb dropped from a Japanese Zero on Pearl Harbor.

                        Any other matters irrelevant to this thread of how I may spend my assets you care to bring up ?

                        BTW, as long as you've dragged this off topic, if/when I do get a Taycan, I'll write a check for it from the account that has the proceeds from buying 1,000 Sh. of Tesla in 2011 @ ~ $23/sh and selling ~ ~ ~158/sh in 2013 and not lose any sleep over it. I think Tesla was a good investment at the time. Not so much any more. I'm only pissed that I chickened out and bailed at 158. It's just business, but maybe a bit ironic that I'd use the profits to buy what might be considered a Tesla killer - don'tca think ?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          This is off topic and can be deleted by a Mod if they desire but IMO it looks like some members that adore Elon must have also drunk the cool aid. Just my opinion.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by funguy11 View Post

                            Musk is threatening the oil industry and traditional utility companies, hence all the FUD on the internet him and his companies. The rise of the EV is going significantly reduce oil companies and for the first time utility companies are facing competition from customers who can now generate their own electricity. The fossil fuel companies and utility companies are trying to slow down Musk because they are trying to slow down the inevitable cut in revenue. The people with jobs and pensions tied to utility and fossil fuel industry complain the loudest about Musk.
                            I made a lot of profit off tesla. I'm also about the biggest sane fan of alternate energy and I bet one of the better informed and educated. That doesn't alter my opinion that musk is little more than a conman and IMO, nothing more than a B.S. artist. More than a few of his followers I've met seem to have some of the same creepy characteristics of cult followers.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

                              I made a lot of profit off tesla. I'm also about the biggest sane fan of alternate energy and I bet one of the better informed and educated. That doesn't alter my opinion that musk is little more than a conman and IMO, nothing more than a B.S. artist. More than a few of his followers I've met seem to have some of the same creepy characteristics of cult followers.
                              Conmen and B.S. artists don't produce anything. Musk is one of the most accomplished people in world. Musk sold his first startup for 30 million dollars to Hewlett Packard and, then, he cofounded PayPal, one of the largest internet payment companies, and sold it to Ebay for a billion dollars. Then he founded a rocket company, which now is years ahead of competitors. Even without Tesla, Musk is incredibly accomplished and for you to dismiss everything he has achieved suggests you are rather biased against him for some reason.
                              Last edited by funguy11; 05-06-2019, 12:04 AM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by funguy11 View Post
                                ... for you to dismiss everything he has achieved suggests you are rather biased against him for some reason.
                                As are those who idolize him are biased in the other direction. So what ?

                                I wouldn't walk across the street to spit on his head if his hair was on fire.

                                I think he's a con man that has a lot of people B.S.d. But, people see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear. Opinions vary.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X