• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by sms
    You also want to take into account the different degradation rates of the
    different types of panels as well as the efficiency differences. The difference in degradation
    rates makes a huge difference when it is compounded over time.
    I am going to suggest that the listed degradation rates are much more of an educated
    guess than fact, and the comparison might be closer if you assumed they were really
    all the same. If I am wrong, let me know in 20 years. Bruce Roe

Comment

• sms
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by sensij
      Your reading comprehension is clearly lacking. Efficiency and degradation rates were included in the calculation. I am certain that if you perform the analysis with whatever numbers you want to nitpick about, you will find a similar result to what I posted. You may be a lost cause, but perhaps others who stumble onto this thread will think twice about paying for a large or premium system that will cost more over most time periods of interest than a smaller, less expensive system would.
      LOL, hopefully they will use real numbers and not fall for people trying to rationalize a mistake they made.

Comment

• sms
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by sms
        LOL, hopefully they will use real numbers and not fall for people trying to rationalize a mistake they made.
        I did three spreadsheets for different KWH Systems, using the actual PG&E tiers for summer and winter and the correct rates.

KWH
        -----
        5520 (16 panels) $15676
        4830 (14 panels) -$2000
        4140 (12 panels) -$4000

Break Even
        -------------
        5520: Year 7.5
        4830: Year 7
        4140: Year 6.5

This is with conservative yearly production estimates, derating the panels every year, using a price increase of 2% per year, and taking into account the differences between summer tiers and winter tiers, with my present average usage.

It is year 11 when the projected base rate and the generated cost per KWH cross. From year 11-20, the cost per generated KWH is less than buying base rate electricity.

The key considerations are:

a) how much panels deteriorate every year.
        b) how much you pay for the lower tiers.
        c) the trade-off between a quicker payback and greater long-term savings.

I should point out that in reality the payback time will probably be less with time-of-use rates, mainly because of the way PGE credits usage on the different rate plans.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

closed ?

Uh, who/why did this get closed ?
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• solar pete
            Administrator
            • May 2014

Hi All,

I have reopened this thread due to popular demand and moved it to the "what-s-the-best-solar-panels-and-the-best-solar-company" sub-forum.

So if anyone wants to chime in go for it.

Comment

• diogenes
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2015

$24000 (pre rebate) for a 10 kw system Canadian Solar 310 panels Fronius 8.2 Primo inverter. Southern TN ground mount,, grid tied, yes 2.4 cents per watt and it works great
              of course electric company charged me $2600 for their effort (included new transformer)
              Last edited by diogenes; 01-24-2016, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• icebox
                • Nov 2015

New Jersey Here

11kW LG 315 NeOn 2 panels, SE-10000 Inverter, roof mount

$33,400 pre ITC

Comment

• Guillaume_8667
                  Guillaume_8667 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Icebox, do you mind me asking who installed your solar panel? I'm in the process of getting quote I'm in North Jersey, where are you located? Thanks
              • J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by solar pete
                Hi All,

I have reopened this thread due to popular demand and moved it to the "what-s-the-best-solar-panels-and-the-best-solar-company" sub-forum.

So if anyone wants to chime in go for it.
                FWIW: Might want to add any est. SREC income or other rebates/incentives.

Comment

• Ashevillian
                  • Jul 2015

14.4 Kilowatt, 48 LG 300A1C (integrated inverters) roof mounted. $2.62/watt before incentives. Asheville, NC

Comment

• monroe
                    • Feb 2016

Originally posted by icebox
                    New Jersey Here

11kW LG 315 NeOn 2 panels, SE-10000 Inverter, roof mount

$33,400 pre ITC
                    I am in NJ and looking for similar setup, could you PM me the installer details? I am new on this forum, and cannot send PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by monroe

I am in NJ and looking for similar setup, could you PM me the installer details? I am new on this forum, and cannot send PM.
                      Actually the PM has been shut down for all members. icebox should be able to provide you with the information in an open post.

Comment

• LDinSD
                        • Feb 2016

Hello everyone. I am in San Diego. System going in is 5.67kW LG 315 with SolarEdge SE7600, roof mount. Cost is $2.98/watt before tax credits.

Comment

• sensij
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2014

That is quite a price. Is your installer on SolarReviews.com? Please link to their page if they are.
                          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• LDinSD
                            • Feb 2016

Originally posted by sensij
                            That is quite a price. Is your installer on SolarReviews.com? Please link to their page if they are.
                            The company is not on SolarReviews. I will post a review there when the job is complete. Basically, the founder/owner was in commercial solar installs for quite some time (I think 7yrs) before starting his own company last year. Definitely not a big shop so take that into consideration.

Comment

• randomuser
                              • Feb 2016

LDinSD, can you let me know who you're working with for the install? I'm in the process of selecting a company. I'm wondering what their quote will be for my home. I've been quoted high $3 to over $5/watt. The installers say my S type tile roof is harder to install on.

Comment

Working...