X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LDinSD
    Hello everyone. I am in San Diego. System going in is 5.67kW LG 315 with SolarEdge SE7600, roof mount. Cost is $2.98/watt before tax credits.
    That is quite a price, and I'm glad to see it. I'd only suggest that with solar, it's better to think or at least consider thinking in terms of most bang for the long term buck rather than simply low initial price.

You will get what you pay for (or less). Buy cheap, buy twice. Low price is quickly forgotten. Poor quality is ever present and never leaves.

Get any other quotes ?

Comment

• john phillips
      john phillips commented
      Editing a comment
      When you see different prices for the same model numbers what do you do?
      Are you implying that LG or SolarEdge are not top quality? Or are you saying the install may not be up to par?
  • LDinSD
    • Feb 2016

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Get any other quotes ?
    I received two additional quotes from big companies here in San Diego and both were around $4.30/watt for the same panels and either the Enphase 280's or the SE76000. The company I went with gave me my choice of panels and inverter for the same rate and did not push for one or the other, which I enjoyed. I ended going with the SE7600 since it was the same price and is apparently powerwall ready.

Comment

• randomuser
      • Feb 2016

I probably have quotes from those 2 big companies. If you're not comfortable sharing the company you've chosen here in the public, can you email to my address I provided in my other topic thread?

Comment

• LDinSD
        • Feb 2016

Originally posted by randomuser
        LDinSD, can you let me know who you're working with for the install? I'm in the process of selecting a company. I'm wondering what their quote will be for my home. I've been quoted high $3 to over $5/watt. The installers say my S type tile roof is harder to install on.
        My roof is the simple shingle type so it may be a bit more for your installation but I'm not sure. However, I had two other quotes on my system and they were well over $4/watt--so the company I went with should be less. The main thing is I was able to get a relatively good system (LG, SE inverter) for a great price. Again, I want to stress that they have not installed my system yet so I will not post my full review until after installation. However, the owner has been expeditious with everything (just received notice of net metering application) and now awaiting permitting. I've mentioned solarreviews site to them and I think they will need to set up an account on there before I can link to them. Its SRE Solar ,hope that helps.

Admin note, I can see your trying to do things properly, but I think you can understand that yelp is our (solarreviews.com) opposition and the chances of us having a link on their site is zero, so why would I allow a link to their site, obviously I cant so just mention the company name without a link, I changed it for you.

Last edited by LDinSD; 02-29-2016, 10:06 PM. Reason: Added company's solarreviews link.

Comment

• sensij
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2014

Thanks for sharing the installer. According to the CSI database, at least through 12/2015, they are submitting NEM applications as Swiss Renewable Energy, averaging about 1 install per month since late 2014. The last 12 installs have price information included, consistently in a range around the price reported by LDinSD, and typically with an LG305+Enphase M250 pairing, but two SolarEdge installs as well.
          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• LDinSD
            • Feb 2016

Originally posted by sensij
            Thanks for sharing the installer. According to the CSI database, at least through 12/2015, they are submitting NEM applications as Swiss Renewable Energy, averaging about 1 install per month since late 2014. The last 12 installs have price information included, consistently in a range around the price reported by LDinSD, and typically with an LG305+Enphase M250 pairing, but two SolarEdge installs as well.
            Yes the owner recently changed the name to Solar Renewable Energy (SRE) but he is Swiss which is where the original came from.
            Last edited by LDinSD; 02-29-2016, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• randomuser
              • Feb 2016

Thanks for mentioning the CSI database, sensij. That's really eye opening. I pulled up the installers in San Diego. From reading posts on this forum, I figured everyone is paying somewhere between $3 - 3.50/watt. Wow, that number seems low. The lower the cost the better but now I don't feel like every company is out to gouge me.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by randomuser
                Thanks for mentioning the CSI database, sensij. That's really eye opening. I pulled up the installers in San Diego. From reading posts on this forum, I figured everyone is paying somewhere between $3 - 3.50/watt. Wow, that number seems low. The lower the cost the better but now I don't feel like every company is out to gouge me.
                The better informed pay less. Everything is negotiable. I wouldn't feel too good about overpaying simply because others are in the same, sad situation. Lower price and quality from a good vendor are possible, but expecting those things from a vendor without knowing what's needed and what pricing is possible is unrealistic.

Comment

• cebury
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2011

The last time I reviewed that CSI db, about 3 months go, it only reflected one total price. Then you divided by the system size to find $/kW. Keep in mind my install included cost of my roof replacement, main panel upgrade and some other electrical work, plus the solar PV install. The total price is what was entered when they submitted the interconnect app to PGE.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by cebury
                    Then you divided by the system size to find $/kW.
                    true but $/W (no "k")
                    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• amtun13892
                      • Mar 2016

I have 10.6kw dc proposal from local installer.
                      quote as $32073 before rebate
                      solar edge 10kw inverter with optimizer =1
                      LG 365 29 panel

any comment on this quote please? good deal?

Comment

• Deja-vue
                        • May 2015

Nominal PV system power: 5.57 kWp
                        21 Kyocera 265 Watt Panels
                        SMA Sunnyboy SB 6000TL-US-22

Complete System self installed with the help of a certified Electrician.
                        $2.14 / watt before Federal Credit.
                        System approved by the City of Long Beach as well as Edison.
                        Over-producing Energy since February 20th, 2016.

Comment

• jetsurgn
                          jetsurgn commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Nice I self installed to down the road from you in San Pedro.
                      • wblanford
                        • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Deja-vue
                        Nominal PV system power: 5.57 kWp
                        21 Kyocera 265 Watt Panels
                        SMA Sunnyboy SB 6000TL-US-22

Complete System self installed with the help of a certified Electrician.
                        $2.14 / watt before Federal Credit.
                        System approved by the City of Long Beach as well as Edison.
                        Over-producing Energy since February 20th, 2016.
                        Would you please break down the cost of the individual parts to your setup? Are you including mounting, wiring, disconnect and permit costs? How much did the Electrician charge you?
                        Bill - Phoenix, AZ

Comment

• Deja-vue
                          • May 2015

wblanford, yes, I included every connector, every feet of cable, etc.
                          Electrician charged me $1500.00, I had a Roofer help me with mounting the Panels.
                          Instead of using Railing Systems, I used Clam-p for all the Mounts.

Entire mounting System was $1000.00 compare that to Ironridge at around $2600.00
                          And those mounts are strong, very happy with my choice.

The Sunnyboy 6000 was $2200.00
                          The Panels were $220.00 each.
                          Permit cost me $289.00
                          Permit printing in 18x24 Paper (Long Beach requirement) cost me $60.00
                          I had a 3D Cad Designer do the entire Blue prints, he cost me $300.00

I could not use Stickers on the Equipment, so I had an Engraver make me Plaques for all the Equipment.
                          That was another $300.00

The list goes on and on.
                          Total Cost was 11,838,21, all paid for.
                          Cheers,

Comment

• Noblesoft
                            • Mar 2016

Post moved to it's own thread: https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...ce-and-quality

Summary, I'm getting about $3.50/watt for a 7.56k kW SolarWorld/Enphase system, and $3.42/watt for a 7.54 kW Phonosolar/Enphase system. I have a quote for SunPower/Sunbridge at $5.00/watt, but feeling that's high compared to what others are seeing...
                            Last edited by Noblesoft; 03-17-2016, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Working...