Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming Soon to NJ - 12.35 kW Hanwha DUO-G5 + SolarEdge Inverter/Optimizers by GPE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sunpoweredev View Post
    BTW, I'm still undecided on whether to mount the inverter in the garage or outside. GPE is willing to go either way. My reasoning is that even though it is designed to be mounted outside, it will be better protected keeping it out of the elements. Plus I like to be able to read the LCD screen on the inverter without going outside. Only concern is if it gets loud or gets too hot in the summer if mounted inside. It actually would be great if it can heat up my garage in the winter, just not in the summer. Yes I want it both ways
    About the roofing, I did ask about the Heritage Premium shingles and in my case they would add about $1500 to the quote. In Damien's opinion not worth the money as he said they are only slightly thicker so their benefit is more a cosmetic 3D effect once installed vs the standard Heritage line. He mentioned the GAF option as well and said it was a toss up really, GAF has a bigger marketing push and the pricing reflects that, so I'm sticking with my as quoted shingle and still deciding on color. I'm doing one skylight replacement as well, so just got that squared away and sent in a deposit since it will be outside of the solar loan since it was added too late in the process.

In regard to the inverter, revenue meter or consumption meter.... I'm definitely not looking to spend on unnecessary extras, but IF the inverter and/or revenue meter could be mounted next to my main panel in the basement I would probably prefer it given no extra or minimal cost. It's an unoccupied space anyways, so noise wouldn't be a concern. At the same time the external spot they proposed is under about an 18" second floor overhang and behind some bushes so the environmental exposure would be minimal, but it's worth a message to Tim I guess.

And yes, last years SREC program advantage would have been a great advantage, just couldn't swing it with the new car and other home expenses. Win some, you lose some...
    12.35 kW - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=67749

Comment

Originally posted by sunpoweredev View Post
      BTW, I'm still undecided on whether to mount the inverter in the garage or outside. GPE is willing to go either way. My reasoning is that even though it is designed to be mounted outside, it will be better protected keeping it out of the elements. Plus I like to be able to read the LCD screen on the inverter without going outside. Only concern is if it gets loud or gets too hot in the summer if mounted inside. It actually would be great if it can heat up my garage in the winter, just not in the summer. Yes I want it both ways
      Unless it's real noisy and the noise can't be dealt with by location to a far wall for example, the garage has the advantage of protection not only from the elements but also some protection from theft/vandalism.

As for heat buildup, good in winter, bad in summer. My inverter (5 kW) is in the (uninsulated) garage and I don't seem to notice any heat buildup. But, like many garages, mine's an energy sieve.

As a SWAG, back of the envelope exercise only, if your inverter is running at, say, 97% eff., the heat rejection to the garage will be something like 12.35 kW * 0.03 ~ = 370 W. with the array running at 100% output, or ~ 1,200 to 1,300 BTU/hr. kicked out of the inverter.

Somewhat as a reference, and no more than to a 1st approx., an ICE that's been operating and returned to the garage will kick off maybe something like maybe 3,000 to 4,000 BTU while it cools down in the same garage over maybe 6-8 hours, depending on the garage amb. temp.

Take the above FWIW.

Comment

sunpoweredev So as usual I got a quick response from Tim with the following,

"We can typically install the equipment inside as long as is there space for it, you will discuss where you want everything the morning of our arrival with the foreman of your project. He will show you all the options and get your approval on where it will all go.

The SolarEdge Consumption monitoring add on would be $800"

So yeah, same quote as you, I'll skip on the consumption monitor, but definitely leaning towards the basement mounting of the inverter and revenue meter. This will also allow me an easy Ethernet cable connection for the inverter. I believe the cellular service is included for the first 5-years per the GPE contract, but this would be much more reliable IMO.

Solar System Screenshot.jpg
        Attached Files
        Last edited by NJturtlePower; 05-30-2019, 11:45 AM.

Comment

NJturtlePower I haven't even thought about mounting it in the basement. It's another option for me and will definitely consider it.
          https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=69875

Comment

Welcome NJturtlePower!

Tim from GPE is great, he was my salesman as well. I think I only paid $500 or so for the consumption monitoring (through GPE, I was one of their first consumption installs), but I love it. Being able to see and record consumption and production together in the SE portal and PVoutput is priceless from my perspective.

My System
            https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=58372&sid=52103

I definitely recommend Ethernet connectivity, and recommend getting the inverter that still has a screen over the screen less version.

Your JCPL kWh pricing seems high, you should shop around.

Any particular reason for the Hanwa Duo's? 325W per panel is not that much these days. It looks like you have room enough to do a 72-cell panel instead. I have 37 of Panasonic 330W, but my roof is tiny and I was trying to get every last DC drop (12.2kW DC)

Indoor install for the inverter (garage) would be great. Just be sure it is as close to your load center as possible to minimize voltage buildup from increase resistance between your inverter and your PoCo service line. You'll have a line side tap.

Comment

Originally posted by JSchnee21 View Post
              Welcome NJturtlePower!

Tim from GPE is great, he was my salesman as well. I think I only paid $500 or so for the consumption monitoring (through GPE, I was one of their first consumption installs), but I love it. Being able to see and record consumption and production together in the SE portal and PVoutput is priceless from my perspective.

My System
              https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=58372&sid=52103

I definitely recommend Ethernet connectivity, and recommend getting the inverter that still has a screen over the screen less version.

Your JCPL kWh pricing seems high, you should shop around.

Any particular reason for the Hanwa Duo's? 325W per panel is not that much these days. It looks like you have room enough to do a 72-cell panel instead. I have 37 of Panasonic 330W, but my roof is tiny and I was trying to get every last DC drop (12.2kW DC)

Indoor install for the inverter (garage) would be great. Just be sure it is as close to your load center as possible to minimize voltage buildup from increase resistance between your inverter and your PoCo service line. You'll have a line side tap.

Thanks JSchnee21!

SE Consumption Meter sounds cool for sure, but not $800 cool.

As long as the system gets me from A to B and covers 100% of my current usage that is the goal, beyond that it's goal is to earn me ROI ASAP.

Also seems that all SolarEdge Inverters now have a display standard, at least for the model number I was quoted.
              SolarEdge_HD-Wave.png

JCP&L rate was a basic calculation of my latest bill shown below. If that's high it's news to me, but soon to be a thing of the past with solar.

$169.75 - $2.83 / 1136 = $0.1469

JCPL Rate.jpg

I explained my panel choice in post #13, it's all I need at a better value..... here: https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...161#post398161

Sure, I was also offered 360W+ SunPower panels by Evoke but my ROI would likely be 10+ years.

It's like saying you need to drive 100 miles per day but on a budget, and want to enjoy the ride what would you drive?

A) Camry
              B)Tesla a.k.a Hanwha Value vs Performance

C) Bentley
              Last edited by NJturtlePower; 05-30-2019, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NJturtlePower View Post
                No doubt the SE consumption meter sounds cool, but not $800 cool. As long as it's producing and making my investment back ASAP I'm good.

Also seems that all SolarEdge Inverters now have a display standard, at least for the model number I was quoted.
                What model number were you quoted?
                The current setapp inverters do NOT have a screen.
                The older inverters do though.
                https://www.solaredge.com/us/product...single-phase#/
                OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

What model number were you quoted?
                  The current setapp inverters do NOT have a screen.
                  The older inverters do though.
                  https://www.solaredge.com/us/product...single-phase#/
                  SE11400H-US Inverter.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by NJturtlePower View Post
                    That is only part of the model number...
                    The setapp inverters have the SAME first part of the model numbers and do NOT have a screen...

Note the Applicable to invertes with part number, section of this: https://www.solaredge.com/sites/defa...tasheet-na.pdf
                    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

That is only part of the model number...
                      The setapp inverters have the SAME first part of the model numbers and do NOT have a screen...

Note the Applicable to invertes with part number, section of this: https://www.solaredge.com/sites/defa...tasheet-na.pdf
                      Interesting find....even the PDF itself isn't very clear in this regard by not listing all the differentiating full part numbers for each inverter model/level.

Shot an email to GPE to see if he can clarify as even the engineering system plans show no more detail than "SE11400H-US".

In a quick online search I see there isn't much of a price difference, maybe $100-$200 between the two.
                      • The bigger question is does it really matter?
                      • What is the functionality of the display vs the online/app data?
                      • I mean unless you just routinely want to spot check the output at the source vs remotely?

Last edited by NJturtlePower; 05-30-2019, 08:02 PM.

Comment

It probably doesn't really matter if it has a screen or not. I get the impression the ones with the screens are being discontinued in favor of the "more reliable" (aka less expensive to MFG) SetApp versions.

For NJ SREC's you will need to submit documentation periodically to demonstrate your actual production from your SREC production meter. In my case, I have a separate physical meter (in addition to PoCo bi-directional, and in addition to non-revenue grade display on my inverter).

So I simply take a photo of my SREC meter every month and upload to PJM-EIS GATS to document my production (in addition to typing in the values). For every MWh produced, I get one SREC. Each SREC has been running ~$220 this year.

If you can swing a revue grade inverter, and it has no display, you'd have to take screen shots from the SolarEdge portal or Mobile App, I guess.

You can let GPE manage your SREC's but Macaddict and I do it ourselves and sell our SREC's through the Flett Exchange. They only charge $5 per transaction. I usually only sell 3 to 5 times a year (I make ~11-12 SREC's/yr)

I should be making more, but my trees get in the way. And the shallow pitch (20 degrees) of my roof doesn't help either.

Macaddict's efficiency (kWh/kW DC) is much better than mine.
                        Last edited by JSchnee21; 05-31-2019, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JSchnee21 View Post
                          It probably doesn't really matter if it has a screen or not. I get the impression the ones with the screens are being discontinued in favor of the "more reliable" (aka less expensive to MFG) SetApp versions.

For NJ SREC's you will need to submit documentation periodically to demonstrate your actual production from your SREC production meter. In my case, I have a separate physical meter (in addition to PoCo bi-directional, and in addition to non-revenue grade display on my inverter).

So I simply take a photo of my SREC meter every month and upload to PJM-EIS GATS to document my production (in addition to typing in the values). For every MWh produced, I get one SREC. Each SREC has been running ~$220 this year.

If you can swing a revue grade inverter, and it has no display, you'd have to take screen shots from the SolarEdge portal or Mobile App, I guess.

You can let GPE manage your SREC's but Macaddict and I do it ourselves and sell our SREC's through the Flett Exchange. They only charge $5 per transaction. I usually only sell 3 to 5 times a year (I make ~11-12 SREC's/yr)

I should be making more, but my trees get in the way. And the shallow pitch (20 degrees) of my roof doesn't help either.

Macaddict's efficiency (kWh/kW DC) is much better than mine.
                          Agree about the display-less meters, likely too many warranty claims paid out, so rather than improve the components they engineered them out. Whatever keeps it running I guess is best in the end.

Helpful to know how the SREC checks and balances work, thanks.

So how would GPE managing the SREC's be any different? Extra fees or commission I'm guessing?

Comment

Basically, I was still doing most of the work myself anyway. Checking the meter once a month, sending a picture to them. They wanted $10 commission per SREC, and then I would have to wait for a check. By cutting out the middleman, it's just a few clicks online, less commission, and EFT straight to my bank account.

What would be fantastic is some sort of online monitoring with automation GATS registration. Evidently this is how it works for commercial generators but not residential.

Comment

NJturtlePower headsup if you have a preference on which inverter. No guarantee but if you do have a preference send an email to your GPE rep. I pasted my reply on this subject on another thread below.

Thanks to ButchDeal for pointing out that the screenless version has the same exact model number. Search result for SE11400H-US almost always shows the one having the screen, and I assumed that's what I'm getting. I asked my installer about it and told him my preference for the one with the screen. Below is my reply. I'll see what I end up with.

I have no idea how these inverters work, but my thinking is that if it has a microprocessor running some kind of software, there's always a chance of it locking up like a computer. Without the display and relying only on the wifi to connect to the phone app, in the event of a lockup it'll probably take the wifi with it and you can't see what the status is.

"I'll make the request to our distributer to give us the inverter with the screen. We usually get whichever inverter they have in stock the day before we are ready.

Those with the screens are being phased out just a heads up, however Soleredge does have an option on their app where you can see what would be on the screen on your phone. Hope that helps."
                              https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=69875

Comment

Projections have NJ SREC prices diving in 2021 and 2022 to below $100 each due to oversupply. Do not bank on $200+ per SREC when making ROI calculations as the vendor clearly did to come up with this 6.1 year ROI.

Comment

Working...
                                X