Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming Soon to NJ - 12.35 kW Hanwha DUO-G5 + SolarEdge Inverter/Optimizers by GPE

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I would suggest installing the inverter next to your circuit breaker box. For me, that means the basement. It doesn't really put out any noise or heat. You can see my setup on post #6 here https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...lation-picture

    I installed my consumption meter myself, bought it for $25 from someone on eBay, I think an installer that went belly up. I'm pretty good with electrical wiring so it wasn't too bad for me. If you've added a new circuit (wiring, breaker, etc) to your main panel, you should be able to install the consumption meter yourself. I'd definitely suggest having one. Makes the monitoring 1000 times better. It is really cool turning on an appliance and seeing the consumption going up instantly.

    In terms of srecs, I diligently sell them using njsrec dot com as soon as they are created. I get a check within 2 days and they get put towards the solar loan.
    https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=59404

    Comment


    • #32
      Hello @malba2366,

      While I do not dispute your claim, do you have any evidence to back it up? SREC prices in NJ have been volatile over the last decade to be sure. As with any artificial market, without periodic legislation to increase demand, pricing stagnates (and eventually falls) as supply increases. So far, I've been fortunate to signup while 15 yrs of SRECs were still it force (now its only 10 for new customers). And SREC pricing since I started earning them (June 2017) has been uncharacteristically stable and fairly high.

      We'll see what the new legislation from 2018 has in store. They're certainly taking their sweet time with the changes. Guess they've been smoking too much "medical" MJ. (-:

      If NJ ends up effectively killing SRECs and eventually net metering, it will be a real black eye to one of the premier renewable programs in the country. And put a lot of NJ installers out of business.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by macaddict View Post
        I would suggest installing the inverter next to your circuit breaker box. For me, that means the basement. It doesn't really put out any noise or heat. You can see my setup on post #6 here https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...lation-picture

        I installed my consumption meter myself, bought it for $25 from someone on eBay, I think an installer that went belly up. I'm pretty good with electrical wiring so it wasn't too bad for me. If you've added a new circuit (wiring, breaker, etc) to your main panel, you should be able to install the consumption meter yourself. I'd definitely suggest having one. Makes the monitoring 1000 times better. It is really cool turning on an appliance and seeing the consumption going up instantly.

        In terms of srecs, I diligently sell them using njsrec dot com as soon as they are created. I get a check within 2 days and they get put towards the solar loan.
        Yes, I'm definitely planning on keeping the inverter and revenue meter in the basement barring any major complications or costs.

        My main panel (basement) was upgraded from a 150A to 200A last year when I had my NEMA 14-50 charging outlet installed in the garage, so its' new and pretty neat with space to spare both inside and on the nearby wall. Before and After Shown*

        IMG_0276.JPGIMG_2590.JPG IMG_0091.jpg

        I like the idea of the consumption meter, just not the cost via GPE, so we'll see down the road, but at least I know it's an option as a DYI. Bottom line in my mind is just that consumption is consumption whether I see it or not, so my money and time might just be better spent reducing my usage where I can through energy efficiency upgrades and vigilance (turning things off) vs. just watching/tracking it in real time.

        Thanks for your experience with your SREC trades and website used. I had bookmarked that site already in my research phase and it seem easy enough. I will likely follow your habits and trade as soon as generated while applying the revenue directly to the system payments. I like this no fee option too and I guess it varies from the previously mentioned exchange only in that there is no direct deposit option?

        Question about the PVoutput site... so I've registered and donated just to get the ball rolling. I'm guessing I can input my to--be-built system details, and I see there is an option to even list in detail seperate arrays since i'll have 3 total. But overall, all data is basically fed to the system via your SolarEdge API correct?

        I'm familiar with a similar setup with my Model 3 where I access my Tesla API via TeslaFi to generate all sorts or tracking and efficiency reports, example shown below.

        IMG_1167.PNG
        Last edited by NJturtlePower; 06-03-2019, 11:09 AM.
        https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=67749

        Comment


        • #34
          Yes, all of my data (prod and consumption) gets pushed to PVOutput by way of the SE portal API.

          TeslaFi looks very cool! Sadly, I haven't ordered my Tesla yet. Still waiting for my Prius to die (and for Level 5 autonomy).

          Which L2 do you use? Something from Tesla or third party?

          Recommendations?

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by NJturtlePower View Post

            Yes, I'm definitely planning on keeping the inverter and revenue meter in the basement barring any major complications or costs.

            My main panel (basement) was upgraded from a 150A to 200A last year when I had my NEMA 14-50 charging outlet installed in the garage, so its' new and pretty neat with space to spare both inside and on the nearby wall. Before and After Shown*

            IMG_0276.JPGIMG_2590.JPG IMG_0091.jpg

            I like the idea of the consumption meter, just not the cost via GPE, so we'll see down the road, but at least I know it's an option as a DYI. Bottom line in my mind is just that consumption is consumption whether I see it or not, so my money and time might just be better spent reducing my usage where I can through energy efficiency upgrades and vigilance (turning things off) vs. just watching/tracking it in real time.

            Thanks for your experience with your SREC trades and website used. I had bookmarked that site already in my research phase and it seem easy enough. I will likely follow your habits and trade as soon as generated while applying the revenue directly to the system payments. I like this no fee option too and I guess it varies from the previously mentioned exchange only in that there is no direct deposit option?

            Question about the PVoutput site... so I've registered and donated just to get the ball rolling. I'm guessing I can input my to--be-built system details, and I see there is an option to even list in detail seperate arrays since i'll have 3 total. But overall, all data is basically fed to the system via your SolarEdge API correct?

            I'm familiar with a similar setup with my Model 3 where I access my Tesla API via TeslaFi to generate all sorts or tracking and efficiency reports, example shown below.

            IMG_1167.PNG
            Question: Where did the electricity cost the TeslaFi uses come from ? Looks like ~ $0.151/kWh or so. Just curious.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by JSchnee21 View Post
              Yes, all of my data (prod and consumption) gets pushed to PVOutput by way of the SE portal API.

              TeslaFi looks very cool! Sadly, I haven't ordered my Tesla yet. Still waiting for my Prius to die (and for Level 5 autonomy).

              Which L2 do you use? Something from Tesla or third party?

              Recommendations?
              L2 as in Level 2 charger?

              I use the included Tesla Corded Mobile Connector (CMC) at home direct on my NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 50A circuit in the garage.

              https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product...connector.html

              The CMC is software limited to 32A now, which gets me about 30-31mi of range per hour on the 240v outlet. More than enough for 95% of people IMO, but the Tesla Wall Charger (HPWC) will do up to 48A for those heavy commuters.

              To date since last July and 8,200mi later, I have never NEEDED to charge out on the road, only tested it twice at a Tesla SuperCharger for fun. In fact my CMC has never left the garage, I just leave it there plugged in because the SuperCharger network is more than adequate in this area if needed in a pinch. Round trips to NYC, north Jersey, Poconos, etc. and the lowest dipped into the "tank" was 40mi. remaining.
              Last edited by NJturtlePower; 06-03-2019, 01:07 PM.
              https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=67749

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

                Question: Where did the electricity cost the TeslaFi uses come from ? Looks like ~ $0.151/kWh or so. Just curious.
                It's user inputed in the settings. I've been averaging about 6-months of bills at a time when I update it...close enough in my book. And you're correct, currently listed at $0.1432 in my settings. There is also some error factor and missing data points occasionally I've noted.

                My most recent vehicle prior to the Tesla was a 2015 Chrysler 300S Hemi...besides the rear legroom the 300 has nothing on the Model 3 LR and the operating cost per mile is about 1/3 or about 4-cent per mile.
                Last edited by NJturtlePower; 06-03-2019, 04:08 PM.
                https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=67749

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

                  Question: Where did the electricity cost the TeslaFi uses come from ? Looks like ~ $0.151/kWh or so. Just curious.
                  I added an identical 200A box like yours, pretty slick compared to my original though both
                  are QO compatible. The original box feeds a 125A circuit over to the new box, passing
                  through this bi directional spinning disk meter to keep track of my net metering surplus
                  day by day if needed. All the heavy KWH users and my solar feed through them. The original
                  box feeds mostly lots of outlets and lights that are rarely used, so that tiny consumption does
                  not show up on my reserve meter (but can be estimated and subtracted).

                  I needed the new box for more double breaker positions for conversion to mini split heat pumps,
                  for the reserve monitor, to reduce solar feed loss (1/0 replaces 4 gauge in the house), and
                  to clean up some other loose ends. Bruce Roe

                  HVACPCbox7Sep18.JPG

                  BiDirMtr.JPG
                  Last edited by bcroe; 06-03-2019, 01:54 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    [USER="54044"]sunpoweredev[/USER] One another detail I confirmed with Tim at GPE recently was the SE Inverter Warranty.

                    Most SE documentation states 12-25 year warranty but GPE in fact upgrades all installs to the 25yr warranty option. The SE Optimizers also have a full 25yr coverage.

                    Any update to your system install timeline?
                    https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=67749

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by NJturtlePower View Post
                      [USER="54044"]sunpoweredev[/USER] One another detail I confirmed with Tim at GPE recently was the SE Inverter Warranty.

                      Most SE documentation states 12-25 year warranty but GPE in fact upgrades all installs to the 25yr warranty option. The SE Optimizers also have a full 25yr coverage.

                      Any update to your system install timeline?
                      Yes my GPE rep included the 25yrs warranty by default on the inverter.

                      I'm scheduled for week of 6/17, and the roof will be done tomorrow.

                      Regarding your Tesla charger, the included Gen 2 mobile charger is only capable of 32A charging max, regardless of which model vehicle. While awaiting delivery of my car, I bought a new Gen 1 mobile charger on Ebay for ~$300 which can charge my dual-motor at 40A which gets me like 35-37 miles an hour. Not a huge difference for routine charging, which I plug in when under 40% and stops at 85%, but can amount to an hour's difference charging from a lower state of charge and taking it to 100%. I really wanted the wall charger for a nice clean look on the garage wall, but it would need a 60A breaker to get the max 48A charging capability and I just didn't want to risk tripping any breakers on my small 150A panel. The wall charger can be configured for a smaller breaker but it kind of defeats the purpose of having it.
                      https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=69875

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by sunpoweredev View Post

                        Yes my GPE rep included the 25yrs warranty by default on the inverter.

                        I'm scheduled for week of 6/17, and the roof will be done tomorrow.

                        Regarding your Tesla charger, the included Gen 2 mobile charger is only capable of 32A charging max, regardless of which model vehicle. While awaiting delivery of my car, I bought a new Gen 1 mobile charger on Ebay for ~$300 which can charge my dual-motor at 40A which gets me like 35-37 miles an hour. Not a huge difference for routine charging, which I plug in when under 40% and stops at 85%, but can amount to an hour's difference charging from a lower state of charge and taking it to 100%. I really wanted the wall charger for a nice clean look on the garage wall, but it would need a 60A breaker to get the max 48A charging capability and I just didn't want to risk tripping any breakers on my small 150A panel. The wall charger can be configured for a smaller breaker but it kind of defeats the purpose of having it.
                        Awesome! I should be getting my roof done next week, just e-signed the Costello contracts yesterday, but yet to confirm any solar install date with GPE. I'll be updating my Post #1 when dates are set and will add some pictures of both roof and solar installs along the way.

                        Yes, I'm aware of the differences between the UMC(GEN1) and CMC(GEN2). The cost of adding a second one is like adding a years worth of charging costs is the way I look at it, so much like the cool looking Tesla HPWC it's just not worth the cost and definitely not needed for my minimal daily commute of 10-20mi. Even if I ran down to 5% on a weekend, which I never have, the car would end up sitting at least 8-10hrs overnight so the CMC on a NEMA 14-50 outlet (50A) does more than fine at no additional cost.

                        Then again, this is specific to the Model 3 which charges much faster regardless of the source than an S or X.

                        [U][B]GEN2 CMC Charging Rates[/B][/U][B] --------------vs----------------- [/B][U][B]HPWC Charging Rates:[/B][/U]
                        CMC Rates.jpgHPWC Rates.jpg
                        Last edited by NJturtlePower; 06-05-2019, 09:52 AM.
                        https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=67749

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by NJturtlePower View Post
                          The cost of adding a second one is like adding a years worth of charging costs is the way I look at it, so much like the cool looking Tesla HPWC it's just not worth the cost and definitely not needed for my minimal daily commute of 10-20mi. Even if I ran down to 5% on a weekend, which I never have, the car would end up sitting at least 8-10hrs overnight so the CMC on a NEMA 14-50 outlet (50A) does more than fine at no additional cost.
                          Yeah all true. The car sits in the garage overnight anyway, really makes no difference adding 30 miles an hour vs 35 or 44. Actually I sometimes I set it to charge at 30A. It's definitely not worth the cost of buying another charger. I was supposed to sell off my Gen 2 that came with the car to offset the Gen 1 purchase, but I left it in the car for who knows what lol. I actually don't even know if the charger works, should really plug it in to make sure it does.

                          I read that in the newer Tesla builds, they even removed the 14-50 adapter. Those who want it have to buy it separately, which is a big inconvenience for the new owners for a minor $30 part.

                          https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=69875

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            I would keep the original charger in the car as a backup. I got a HPWC free from Tesla. So I installed it on one of the two 14-50 outlets I have in my garage. We could both charge.... But in reality we never charge at the same time. My girl gets to charge at work so she never uses my old charger. Pic is prior to a storm where we wanted to make sure we both had power.
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              [USER="53456"]flowing[/USER] I should've thought of having the 14-50 outlet in the middle, in case we end up with a second EV. Being able to charge at work for free is sweet.
                              https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=69875

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post
                                I would personally request that they remove the external revenue grade meter and add an internal SolarEdge revenue grade meter as well as a consumption meter.
                                The benefit is one single monitoring with revenue grade data, one less external box, one less external monitoring service, and cleaner install.
                                Hey Butch just looking back at some of your original comments here and I think I misinterpreted the part about the "internal" revenue grade meter.

                                I was thinking internal as in mounting location vs external, but I realize you were talking about eliminating the separate revenue grade meter in favor of the built in option direct from SolarEdge.

                                Could you help me out with a part number for a built in RGM for my proposed SE11400 unit?

                                Overall this should actually be cheaper than a separate unit considering labor correct? Not expecting to get any reduction from my installer but at least have the simplified cleaner install.

                                Anybody that has used GPE go this route before I inquire? I'm sure most installers prefer to do things the way they are used to and comfortable with, but this would be best for both of us it seems.
                                https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=67749

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X