Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming Soon to NJ - 12.35 kW Hanwha DUO-G5 + SolarEdge Inverter/Optimizers by GPE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming Soon to NJ - 12.35 kW Hanwha DUO-G5 + SolarEdge Inverter/Optimizers by GPE

Greetings all, my name is Tony, a.k.a "NJTurtlePower" on this and many other forums, and I'm excited to share the details for our soon-to-be installed solar system here in Flemington, NJ.

I've been lurking here for a few weeks/months during my initial solar research phase and now that our system design is finalized, financing is settled, and the utility interconnection plans are approved, it's time to share all the juicy details and how this all came to be.

First, I would like tag a few forum members that I discovered browsing and searching the forums here that are from my area (NJ) and/or are related to our installer Green Power Energy. In some way or another I may have used your solar experiences, system advice or comments in my own planning, so thanks!

J.P.M. jordgubbe sunpoweredev JSchnee21 flowing macaddict

I guess you can say I've been interested in solar for many years now and even did my senior thesis on the subject during my undergrad at NJIT. Last year kinda got me thinking hard about solar again after the long awaited delivery of my Tesla Model 3, as well as the deadline and changes to the NJ SREC program. So, I started where many of us do, Google...which led me to EnergySage and eventually a few site visits/consultations with a handful of local vendors as well as Tesla Solar, and as they say, the rest is history.

Over the course of my journey I dealt in detail with Tesla, Sun Run, Evoke Solar and Green Power Energy. As the title suggests, I settled with GPE in the end, but in one way or another tried to use all the quotes, system designs and Q&A sessions, etc. from all the vendors in some way or another in the decision making process. If anyone has any specific question about the OTHER vendors or their quotes feel free to reply, but for sake of time and boredom from reading my lengthy drawn out posts, I'll just keep my focus here on GPE and our soon-to-be-built system.

As many others have already attested to, both here and on other mediums online, GPE has been top notch in all phases of this project to date. My initial and main contact at GPE has been Tim DeSevo, but I also dealt a bit with Sara Thorpe from the Design Team. Basically all my communications have been via EnergySage messages or direct email besides the site survey (Mark Taylor) which I prefer overall. Tim's responsiveness and patience (in all my endless questions/concerns) has been all I could ask for as he would literally respond within 2-5min of every exchange. GPE's partner roofer (we'll get into that later) is C. Costello Roofing out of Ventnor City, NJ and they have a very similar reputation as GPE, and so I'm told, the reason they have decided to partner up on projects as needed. Damien Correa has been my contact at Costello and has also been super helpful, honest and again very patient getting back to me on anything I asked of him and I'm very much looking forward to dealing with their end of the project hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks to get the ball rolling.

Energy Usage:
    • Utility Provider: JCP&L
    • Current Utility Rate: $0.1506 per kWh ***UPDATED June 19' rate***
    • Pre-EV Charging Annual Usage / July 2018 Data: 9,385 kWh
    • Current Annual Energy Usage (Estimate): 13,850 kWh (EV charging for about 10-months via NEMA 14-50 outlet / Approx 10K miles driven per year)
    Solar Design, Details & Specs:
    • Nameplate: 12.350 DC kW (STC)
    • First Year System Output (Estimate): 14,354 kWh
    • Lifetime System Output (Estimate): 273,850 kWh
    • Solar Panels: 38 X Hanwha Q-CELLS Q.PEAK DUO-G5 325w Modules
    • Optimizers: 38 X SolarEdge P400
    • Panel Layout: 3 Arrays - 20 Panel (South) / 12 Panel (East) / 6 Panel (West) *See Attached/Below
    • String Layout: 3 Strings of 13/13/12 *See Attached/Below
    • Inverter: 1 X SolarEdge SE11400H-US
    • Mounting/Flashing Hardware: IronRidge XR10 Rail / Quick Mount PV (QMLM/QMLM-2)
    SOLAR ONLY - System Cost & Financing:
    • Total System Cost: $36,590
    • Price Per Watt (Pre-Incentives): $2.96
    • Financing Partner: Sungage Financial
    • Financing Terms: 18-Month 0% APR for FTC Portion / 2.99% APR for 60-Months on Loan Balance
    • Monthly Payment: $460.01
    • Return on Investment (ROI) Estimate: Approx. 6-Years
    GPE Solar Layout EDIT.jpgGPE Solar String Layout ABC.jpg

Roofing Project:
    So this was not a part of our original plan, but unfortunately a reality of our current situation. As the more recent owners of an early 1980's home (approx. 2,400 sq ft) we knew little about the history of the roof besides the current condition explained to us by GPE/Costello as well as the other guys who conducted physical site surveys. After a little further digging I was able to find a Sellers Disclosure document that listed the age of the re-roof (2nd layer) and by adding the time we have now owned the home puts it at approx. 21-years. The re-roof workmanship/install is also questionable at best, so to eliminate the concerns and to avoid potentially spending several thousand in extra labor to remove and reinstall the solar system a few years down the road; we are tackling this project head on with help from Costello Roofing. They will be installing a new 30-Year Tamko architectural shingle roof in preparation for the GPE solar system, all rolled into the existing Sungage Solar loan which is super convenient and affordable given the 30% Federal Tax Credit. Costello's roofing pricing was already highly competitive regardless of the FTC based on others who have looked at the roof due to the added expense of the near vertical "barn style" sections of our 2nd story.

Current Timeline:
    • We were given the green light to our solar design and permits last week (3rd week of May 2019) by JCP&L.
    • Costello Roofing Roofing Install: *** COMPLETE - 6/15/19 ***
    • GPE Solar System Install - *** COMPLETE - 8/1/19 ***
    • Township Final Inspection - *** COMPLETE - 8/12/19 ***
    • Utility Final Inspection / PTO: Date TBD
    IMG_1359e.gif

Well, that's the plan as it stands guys.... feel free to comment, question and critique. I'm interested to hear updates from recent GPE install owners and/or any last minute details to be on the lookout for with my install coming up soon as well. If I left out any pertinent details let me know, as I will be updating this thread as the project evolves.

Thanks again all!
    Last edited by NJturtlePower; 08-17-2019, 10:42 AM.

• nwdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by NJturtlePower View Post

A bit more with the SE11400 obviously.... mini toaster oven?
    Only if your definition of 'toast' is warm bread

Leave a comment:

• jordgubbe
    replied

Now that I know what we're talking about, ehh I guess I can deal with that haha

Even then you're talking about fewer than 230w/hr, and how often is it really going to be cranking along at maximum capacity? Hopefully a lot, obviously, but we aren't exactly in Arizona here

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    Originally posted by nwdiver View Post

Yes... roughly as much heat generation as a computer or a large flat screen TV.
    Now that I know what we're talking about, ehh I guess I can deal with that haha

Last edited by NJturtlePower; 08-20-2019, 02:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nwdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by jordgubbe View Post

So if I'm understanding correctly, if the efficiency of my 7600w inverter is 98%, we're looking at a rough maximum waste heat figure of 2% * 7600 = 152w/hr?
    Yes... roughly as much heat generation as a computer or a large flat screen TV.

Leave a comment:

• jordgubbe
    replied
    Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

FWIW, and to a rough 1st approx., the inverter will kick off heat to its surroundings ~ as: [(1-inverter eff)* inverter input] . Perhaps useful in heating season, perhaps unwanted during cooling season.
    So if I'm understanding correctly, if the efficiency of my 7600w inverter is 98%, we're looking at a rough maximum waste heat figure of 2% * 7600 = 152w/hr?

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied

Exactly my feeling about equipment protection and utilizing dead basement space.

I'm happy I opted (per recommendations from here early on) for that vs everything outside, and as you said the only complication is an extra external disconnect and a bit of IN/OUT conduit runs.

I'm 1-week in now waiting on my PTO/Meter Swap so just that much closer.....
    FWIW, and to a rough 1st approx., the inverter will kick off heat to its surroundings ~ as: [(1-inverter eff)* inverter input] . Perhaps useful in heating season, perhaps unwanted during cooling season.

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    Fwiw, we opted to have the inverter and srec meter mounted in the basement, next to our electrical panel, and are ethernet connected. There's plenty of space for it, so keeping it out of the elements seemed wise. Plus, could performance be affected if the inverter is itself being heated by direct sunlight?
    We haven't had a truly clear day yet, so I don't know that the system has ever been going full gas, but so far the inverter has been effectively silent and doesn't throw off any appreciable heat. The only drawback to this setup I see is the fact that it required two additional penetration to run the exterior emergency disconnect. Not a big problem, but fewer holes punched through exterior walls always seems better.
    Exactly my feeling about equipment protection and utilizing dead basement space.

I'm happy I opted (per recommendations from here early on) for that vs everything outside, and as you said the only complication is an extra external disconnect and a bit of IN/OUT conduit runs.

I'm 1-week in now waiting on my PTO/Meter Swap so just that much closer.....
    Last edited by NJturtlePower; 08-20-2019, 11:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    Originally posted by robstrash View Post
    @NJturtlePower, Thanks for writing up this great thread. I'm in central NJ (East Windsor) and looking at solar now so this is a very informative thread. Do you know if GPE or Costello roofing gives you anything for referrals? I'm going to call them up and wanted to get you something if possible. If you need to contact me, my username here is my gmail account. Thanks again.
    I'm glad it's useful Rob. Most things I spend so much time researching and exploring I try to at least share my experiences good or bad whether that be an Amazon review, Tesla forum post or this time solar.

I'm kinda OCD (obviously), and wordy to most reading these things, but it is what it is and figure SOMEBODY might be in the same frame of mind looking at every possible detail some day.

I just emailed my Sales guy at GPE, Tim DeSevo about any referrals... I'll let you know and appreciate it!

UPDATE: robstrash There is in fact a very generous $500 referral bonus offered by GPE - Email sent to your Gmail.
    Last edited by NJturtlePower; 08-20-2019, 01:23 PM. Reason: Update

Leave a comment:

• robstrash
    replied
    @NJturtlePower, Thanks for writing up this great thread. I'm in central NJ (East Windsor) and looking at solar now so this is a very informative thread. Do you know if GPE or Costello roofing gives you anything for referrals? I'm going to call them up and wanted to get you something if possible. If you need to contact me, my username here is my gmail account. Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• jordgubbe
    replied
    Fwiw, we opted to have the inverter and srec meter mounted in the basement, next to our electrical panel, and are ethernet connected. There's plenty of space for it, so keeping it out of the elements seemed wise. Plus, could performance be affected if the inverter is itself being heated by direct sunlight?
    We haven't had a truly clear day yet, so I don't know that the system has ever been going full gas, but so far the inverter has been effectively silent and doesn't throw off any appreciable heat. The only drawback to this setup I see is the fact that it required two additional penetration to run the exterior emergency disconnect. Not a big problem, but fewer holes punched through exterior walls always seems better.

Leave a comment:

• jordgubbe
    replied
    We're on PSE&G, which issued the permission to operate two days after they came by to pop the net meter in. Their total turnaround after Township approval was about two weeks, which was the quick end of the estimate GPE provided.

I was able to get set up in PVoutput without too much trouble. I had to get SolarEdge support to generate the API key for me, since it appears only installer-level accounts have the requisite settings tab, but I was able to do it via chat on their support site in just a few minutes. I'm only on the free tier of PVoutput at this point, but I was able to get the automated production feed and weather reporting through OpenWeatherMap setup.

The SolarEdge Android app has a couple of cool widgets available, so I've got current and total daily production on my homepage now, which is great. They also have a consumption widget, which only shows the production graph for me, since I don't have a consumption meter.

I'd still like to get my end of day production stat emailed to me or kicked to a running spreadsheet, but the widget plus PVoutput is pretty good.

I figure it'll be easier to keep focus on production over time if I don't have to remember to look for it.

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    Congratulations on finally getting over the finish line! How is everything working out so far? We were on a very similar timeline to you with everything and just got our array activated on this past Wednesday. Figures that after a seemingly clear, dry summer, we get the OK to generate on the cloudiest day in a month, with clouds and rain in the long-term outlook.

This weekend's project is to figure out how to get PV Outputs or SolarEdge to send my daily production figure to an email or a spreadsheet or something automatically.
    Well not up and running YET, but very close...still waiting for the final utility inspection, bi-directional meter swap, and SREC meter swap by GPE since this one was DOA. Spoke to a GPE tech Thursday and they should be doing their part in the next few days, no way to rush JCP&L but ::fingers crossed:: 2-3 weeks we'll be making some sun power!

Congrats on your startup! How long did your utility co take?

I have my PVoutput account setup mostly, just waiting on data... you should be able to use the SolarEdge API in PVoutput to generate all your data...I remember seeing the option, but I'm sure others like ButchDeal or macaddict could give us a little run down of how the basic setup goes.

Leave a comment:

• jordgubbe
    replied
    Congratulations on finally getting over the finish line! How is everything working out so far? We were on a very similar timeline to you with everything and just got our array activated on this past Wednesday. Figures that after a seemingly clear, dry summer, we get the OK to generate on the cloudiest day in a month, with clouds and rain in the long-term outlook.

This weekend's project is to figure out how to get PV Outputs or SolarEdge to send my daily production figure to an email or a spreadsheet or something automatically.

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    Originally posted by sunpoweredev View Post
    Excellent!

So, that's 2 for 2 in those SREC meters failing How long was he there waiting for the town inspector? Kyle was here for 3hrs before the inspector showed up. In those 3hrs the SREC meter already read 25kWh. Since your meter never worked, I guess you didn't get a chance to see how your system performed.

Yeah I would've told you the one you received was the one removed from my house except the guy (Kyle) marked it with a sharpie marker as soon as he took it down. He actually left me another new one, just in case He said they probably have a "bad batch". What bugs me about it is that now my SREC meter will be forever 300kWh off. Actually 295, but I waited until it rolled up to 300 before I sent them the pic of my then current production off the SolarEdge app. It will be recorded towards my SREC production.

I'll be posting my 2 weeks' worth of production in my thread. The numbers from the SolarEdge app exceeded my expectations, but the utility meter doesn't quite match up..
    Honestly,I forgot the GPE rep's name already, my bad, but anyways...my inspection window was 9am to 2pm. GPE was in my driveway waiting by about 8:30am and when I came home early for lunch chatting Tesla and solar the Twp. inspector showed up at 11:35 and was gone and done 15min later.

Waiting to hear how they want to handle the SREC meter swap, either before or at the final utility inspection...TBD

Leave a comment:

Working...
X