Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming Soon to NJ - 12.35 kW Hanwha DUO-G5 + SolarEdge Inverter/Optimizers by GPE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    Originally posted by robstrash View Post
    What did you end up doing for selling your SREC's?
    In case you missed my response...

See post #333 above which was stuck in moderation for a while due to the simple links I listed.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by J.P.M.
    Bruce: What's a good ballpark/ave. for your annual output per installed STC kW ?
    For a couple of years have done 29,000 KWH from 15KW of inverters at some 96% efficient. To do that under
    these clouds the DC:AC ratio is 2.33. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by bcroe View Post

No one selling solar talks about how much more expensive each KWH is in cloudy areas. Even
    saw one say panels still work under clouds, putting out 90%. Should have said 90% LESS. And
    then for us far from the equator, there is the problem of snow.

Getting mad does no good, making changes does. I got my inverter plant delivering about the
    same annual output as those in the SW desert, with 10 hour solar days when the sun is good,
    and doubled output when it is not. Bruce Roe
    Bruce: What's a good ballpark/ave. for your annual output per installed STC kW ?

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by robstrash
    On a side note, I have been surprised how much solar I get on very cloudy/rainy
    days. I got 7.5 kWh yesterday and it was crappy weather all day long. I was telling my parents that I
    now get mad on cloudy days as those clouds are costing me money!!.
    No one selling solar talks about how much more expensive each KWH is in cloudy areas. Even
    saw one say panels still work under clouds, putting out 90%. Should have said 90% LESS. And
    then for us far from the equator, there is the problem of snow.

Getting mad does no good, making changes does. I got my inverter plant delivering about the
    same annual output as those in the SW desert, with 10 hour solar days when the sun is good,
    and doubled output when it is not. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• macaddict
    replied
    What did you end up doing for selling your SREC's? I know previous posts recommended Flett Exchange as GPE did not offer direct deposit. I just received my SREC confirmation emails from the state and GPE so need to decide what I want to do. It looks like GPE uses SRECTrade and they indicate they have direct deposit and fees can be found here. The fees are VERY high at 5% management plus 2% transaction for 7% total fees for systems from 0-50 kW which I would think fits all homes. I'm thinking I'll just create my own account at GATS and just do it myself for $5 via Flett Exchange. Is that what everyone else does? If SREC price is $220 the 7% fee is only around $15 which isn't bad but might as well save myself $10 and do it myself.

On a side note, I have been surprised how much solar I get on very cloudy/rainy days. I got 7.5 kWh yesterday and it was crappy weather all day long. I was telling my parents that I now get mad on cloudy days as those clouds are costing me money!!

Update: looks like Flett Exchange also offers SREC Manager option for 3% (currently $6.75 for NJ) for full service or do it yourself transfers for $2.50. Now I'm wondering if I should be lazy and automate for only a few dollars.....
    I tried Flett and NJSREC. I ended up sticking with NJSREC, more money and the physical check comes within 2 days. I just take a snapshot with my bank's mobile app when I get it in the mail to deposit it.

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    What did you end up doing for selling your SREC's? I know previous posts recommended Flett Exchange as GPE did not offer direct deposit. I just received my SREC confirmation emails from the state and GPE so need to decide what I want to do. It looks like GPE uses SRECTrade and they indicate they have direct deposit and fees can be found here. The fees are VERY high at 5% management plus 2% transaction for 7% total fees for systems from 0-50 kW which I would think fits all homes. I'm thinking I'll just create my own account at GATS and just do it myself for $5 via Flett Exchange. Is that what everyone else does? If SREC price is $220 the 7% fee is only around $15 which isn't bad but might as well save myself $10 and do it myself.

On a side note, I have been surprised how much solar I get on very cloudy/rainy days. I got 7.5 kWh yesterday and it was crappy weather all day long. I was telling my parents that I now get mad on cloudy days as those clouds are costing me money!!

Update: looks like Flett Exchange also offers SREC Manager option for 3% (currently $6.75 for NJ) for full service or do it yourself transfers for $2.50. Now I'm wondering if I should be lazy and automate for only a few dollars.....
    I've only completed one trade so far in Dec. for my 3 SRECS through GATS and NJSREC. Pricing is updated weekly and varies by volume. http://www.njsrec.com/

No direct deposit option, but also ZERO fees. Prices dropped a bit towards the end of the year when I sold at $216 each. I received a check in the mail within a week for $648.

Directions are pretty easy and listed here: http://www.njsrec.com/node/2

Easy enough not to lose any money in fees IMO, plus I figure I'll likely only sell about quarterly, so no big effort.

Yeah your system is doing well...beat me yesterday (7.43 kW) with about 25% smaller system. True South orientation is king in the solar game....I need that summer early sun to take advantage of my 3.9 kW Eastern facing array.

Leave a comment:

• robstrash
    replied

Last edited by robstrash; 02-06-2020, 10:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    Originally posted by sunpoweredev View Post
    Your January consumption and production numbers are eerily similar to mine lol. So it looks like you should be billed 332kWh (1016 minus 684), if I'm understanding this correctly. What did you actually get billed for?

My SREC meter is also off by about 1000kWh compared to the 40 reading on the JCP&L meter. Makes sense I guess, since the SREC meter will record the self-consumed production and the JCP&L meter doesn't. I thought the discrepancy would be bigger than this. My SREC meter is at 56xx, before adding the missing 300kWh from when the first SREC meter went dead, which closely matches up my lifetime production of 5.99MWh per SolarEdge.
    So like I said I had an estimated bill this month, but in checking it was actually pretty close...Billed for 338 kWh. Came to $46.54

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your SREC meter should be different than the 40-reading on the utility meter since the SREC meter counts ALL solar energy generation while the 40 Output reading is only the excess going to the grid not self-consumed.

Anyways, February is not looking like much of a pro-solar month in NJ according to the latest weather forecast....

Untitled.jpg

Leave a comment:

• sunpoweredev
    replied
    Originally posted by NJturtlePower View Post

You're not alone.... it's definitely confusing. I've been using the Consumption Calculator Excel Sheet provided by GPE since I do not have an inline consumption monitor.

I try to take my meter readings, SREC meter, the exterior meter "04" Inbound reading and "40" Outbound reading on the same day JCP&L are scheduled to read the meter each month, but in the past 6-months they have now given me an estimated reading 3 times! So annoying... so I have actual readings in my sheet, but the bills of course don't match up.

Anyways, here's what I have logged so far... ignore the first couple readings, I was just playing around, but last 3 are true to monthly billing cycle.

Hoping to seeing the JCP&L Contribution column go negative soon!

Untitled.jpg
    Your January consumption and production numbers are eerily similar to mine lol. So it looks like you should be billed 332kWh (1016 minus 684), if I'm understanding this correctly. What did you actually get billed for?

My SREC meter is also off by about 1000kWh compared to the 40 reading on the JCP&L meter. Makes sense I guess, since the SREC meter will record the self-consumed production and the JCP&L meter doesn't. I thought the discrepancy would be bigger than this. My SREC meter is at 56xx, before adding the missing 300kWh from when the first SREC meter went dead, which closely matches up my lifetime production of 5.99MWh per SolarEdge.

Several weeks ago I happen to catch something strange on the JCP&L meter, on the 40 reading. One day in the morning I walked by and took a peek and made a mental note. Walked by again later that day and it went up by 100kWh, what No I definitely wasn't seeing things. It was a cloudy day and the system produced no more than 20kWh that day.

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied
    So I've been pretty ignorant about the billed kWh numbers since 8/2019 when my bill had been $2.78. When winter came around is when I started looking at the number. December I was billed 1200kWh, and January 600kWh.

According to SolarEdge, my January consumption was 993.76 kWh, and production was 667.01 kWh, difference of 326 kWh, which perfectly matches up with the import and export figures shown on SolarEdge. Shouldn't 326 kWh be what I'm billed? The discrepancy was even bigger for December - consumed 1.09MWh, produced 302kWh, and was billed 1200kWh.

Am I missing something?

Jan2020.JPG
    You're not alone.... it's definitely confusing. I've been using the Consumption Calculator Excel Sheet provided by GPE since I do not have an inline consumption monitor.

I try to take my meter readings, SREC meter, the exterior meter "04" Inbound reading and "40" Outbound reading on the same day JCP&L are scheduled to read the meter each month, but in the past 6-months they have now given me an estimated reading 3 times! So annoying... so I have actual readings in my sheet, but the bills of course don't match up.

Anyways, here's what I have logged so far... ignore the first couple readings, I was just playing around, but last 3 are true to monthly billing cycle.

Hoping to seeing the JCP&L Contribution column go negative soon!

Untitled.jpg

Leave a comment:

• sunpoweredev
    replied
    Originally posted by macaddict View Post

Take a look at your billing cycle start and end dates.
    JCP&L took the reading on 1/30. My cycle starts at the beginning of each month.

Leave a comment:

• macaddict
    replied
    So I've been pretty ignorant about the billed kWh numbers since 8/2019 when my bill had been $2.78. When winter came around is when I started looking at the number. December I was billed 1200kWh, and January 600kWh.

According to SolarEdge, my January consumption was 993.76 kWh, and production was 667.01 kWh, difference of 326 kWh, which perfectly matches up with the import and export figures shown on SolarEdge. Shouldn't 326 kWh be what I'm billed? The discrepancy was even bigger for December - consumed 1.09MWh, produced 302kWh, and was billed 1200kWh.

Am I missing something?

Jan2020.JPG
    Take a look at your billing cycle start and end dates.

Leave a comment:

• sunpoweredev
    replied

Am I missing something?

Jan2020.JPG
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• NJturtlePower
    replied

Lucky you. The agent I spoke to at JCP&L was like a robot. I asked her since my billing cycle ends in the beginning of the month, that if I should reset it for March or April. She just babbled that itll be effective for the month of my choosing, and was going to hang up before giving me a reference number. I don't think it'll make a big difference for me whether it's 3/1 or 4/1. We average 2000 miles a month on the Tesla, and in winter months consumption will be near 300Wh/mile, sucking up ~700kWh/mo all by itself. Still, I'd better call back to make sure that it's entered into the system.

Sun's getting higher still. Made 38kWh today Really lucked out on the last snowstorm. Had a good 3" from Saturday and my panels were completely cleared by mid noon yesterday. I fully expected it linger for a few days. My panels were covered for like 4 days from the last round of snow.
    You should have received a letter in the mail confirming the JCP&L change to your new solar anniversary. I was told I would get two because of the change and revision, and got both a few days apart.

That's a lot of miles on the car, think my max to date is like 1100mi in any month. I'm currently averaging 339 Wh/Mile which is slightly better than this time last year, but I do drive pretty spirited around town.

Charging 1-2020.jpg
    And yes, today was a great solar day in NJ... almost 41,500 kWh for me.... best of about 3-months!

Got a little less snow than you and by the next day it had all slid off the panels as they warmed ....last time was worse here as well, stayed colder and froze on there.

Leave a comment:

• sunpoweredev
    replied
    Originally posted by NJturtlePower View Post

So after these exchanges about anniversary trueup dates and realizing my mistake of not taking my billing date in consideration I was a bit nervous and I actually called JCP&L back about 6-hours after my initial request.

The agent checked the system and said it looks like the request was already fulfilled, but that she would put in a request for February and would call me back the next day with the outcome either way. Well that next day passed, as well as the weekend, with no word at which point I figured, oh well it's a done deal, I'm locking in for March FOREVER.

BUT to my complete surprise, I received a call back this Tuesday from the same woman who took my followup request CONFIRMING my official change to February!!!. Really happy that not only they could accommodate my secondary request, but also that somebody actually followed through and got back to me...rare these days, so big thumbs up to JCP&L.

March will most likely be a surplus solar production month for me, so glad I was able to roll my date back and avoid any wholesale credit buyouts.

Last March 2019 I was billed for 784 kWh's and my estimated solar production for that period this year is 1.379MWh which SHOULD start my solar bank off to a good start.
    Lucky you. The agent I spoke to at JCP&L was like a robot. I asked her since my billing cycle ends in the beginning of the month, that if I should reset it for March or April. She just babbled that itll be effective for the month of my choosing, and was going to hang up before giving me a reference number. I don't think it'll make a big difference for me whether it's 3/1 or 4/1. We average 2000 miles a month on the Tesla, and in winter months consumption will be near 300Wh/mile, sucking up ~700kWh/mo all by itself. Still, I'd better call back to make sure that it's entered into the system.

Sun's getting higher still. Made 38kWh today Really lucked out on the last snowstorm. Had a good 3" from Saturday and my panels were completely cleared by mid noon yesterday. I fully expected it linger for a few days. My panels were covered for like 4 days from the last round of snow.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X