Installer forcing SolarEdge cellular connection on me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaxSmart View Post

Which bridge - did you install it internally, or external with an ethernet connection? (I can't find the ethernet port) Is this an indoor or outdoor setup? Thanks.
    Pretty sure it was this one.

The inverter is outside. Didn't use an antenna. The bridge is USB powered so we just plugged it into the USB port for power so everything it tucked into the inverter housing.

Comment

Originally posted by macaddict View Post

Correct. All the new inverters have Wi-Fi built in.
      That is good to hear. Kinda surprised they were so far behind on this stuff.

Like was said, I think my installer put it in so they wouldn't have to deal with the extra cabling and possible support..They then would have to deal with issues that may arise from someone changing a router, lack of internet or the inverter losing connection for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLumen View Post

That is good to hear. Kinda surprised they were so far behind on this stuff.

Like was said, I think my installer put it in so they wouldn't have to deal with the extra cabling and possible support..They then would have to deal with issues that may arise from someone changing a router, lack of internet or the inverter losing connection for some reason.
        To be clear the wifi included with SE inverters does not work for monitoring... yet. Supposedly there will be a firmware update in October. We had to buy a wifi-ethernet bridge to get it connected.

Comment

I have been reading more, and it sounds like the "new models" = ones with no display, and that only these have the built-in wifi for the SetApp phone app, but that this won't work as a client (connect to your router versus act as a hotspot for the purpose of connecting your phone to it) at this time, but that this may change in October when the firmware updates.

So, if this is correct (please correct me if not), sounds like those with a display (models with 4 buttons, models with the one big button) are stuck either:
          1. wiring ethernet,
          2. buying a $350 zigbee kit, or
          3. install an ethernet-wifi bridge.

For #3, if your inverter is outdoors, if needs to be installed inside the casing, and powering it becomes the question​​​​. Per the above suggestion to use USB power, do all models have a powered USB port inside? I have the one-big-button model.

Comment

Originally posted by nwdiver View Post

Pretty sure it was this one.

The inverter is outside. Didn't use an antenna. The bridge is USB powered so we just plugged it into the USB port for power so everything it tucked into the inverter housing.
            Which model do you have - 4 buttons on front, one button underneath, or no display/buttons? I finally opened my inverter up, couldn't find a USB port. Is it hard to find, is it inside or out?

Comment

Originally posted by MaxSmart View Post

Which model do you have - 4 buttons on front, one button underneath, or no display/buttons? I finally opened my inverter up, couldn't find a USB port. Is it hard to find, is it inside or out?
              I have the new setapp with no screen and no buttons. USB port is fairly easy to find.

Comment

Something to keep in mind... If the case is solid metal, it may problematic to get a wi-fi signal out of it as it will act like a solid faraday cage. I haven't tried to know for sure but I know mine is cast aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLumen View Post
                  Something to keep in mind... If the case is solid metal, it may problematic to get a wi-fi signal out of it as it will act like a solid faraday cage. I haven't tried to know for sure but I know mine is cast aluminum.
                  I put the wifi bridge inside the enclosure but I think the new ones are plastic.

Comment

Anybody try to buy a S6B Xbee and a programmer cable, is it as simple as just loading the generic client-mode firmware? Or does it have to be a special proprietary firmware for SolarEdge?

Comment

I drilled a hole in my garage wall and ran an RJ-45 cable out the inverter and to a Linksys bridge plugged into an electric outlet.

Comment

My new install with SetApp 11.4 inverter uses a cell modem with a bad connection. I complained about it and the tech support at SolarEdge did something remote and it stopped working completely, so now I have no monitoring at all. I can see data on the FPL power company account one day after, by the hour, but I am in the dark in terms of monitoring my inverter. Installer says they are waiting on a part, but I don’t see why the local Ethernet, on the other side of the wall from the outdoor inverter, can’t simply be connected and the cell connection eliminated. I have a wifi router only ten feet from the inverter as well. Also, requested the optional meter to read self-consumption and consumption. No response from installers. No response from SolarEdge tech support. I am being stonewalled.

I am advised I must be certified by SolarEdge to get direct access to my SetApp interface, but since this is the only way to control the inverter, that’s a problem. What do I do if my installer goes out of business? I plan to have the system for a long time, but who knows how long the installer will be in business. I realize not every customer wants or needs SetApp access, but I certainly do and I’m feeling stuck. Anyone else have the same issues?

- - -

Update

Cell Modem and Ethernet: this was my installer's first Ethernet connection, so they were a bit unsure as to how it works. It's fine, and now I have real-time monitoring and graphic updates every 15 minutes. Goodby cell modem.

Modbus Monitoring: Also installed the modbus monitoring system to give finer detail on the amount of solar production, the amount exported to the grid, self consumption and the amount imported from the grid. Giant difference. Can easily see now when major appliances come on and how much power they use, as well as accurate stats on how much I exporter to the grid and how much imported, hence the net difference.

New Version of SetApp: I just attended a webinar on SetApp and learned that within a few weeks there will be an owner's version of SetApp, which has many of the same features as the current SetApp in read-only mode.
                        Last edited by RobertBurr; 10-08-2019, 11:45 AM.

Comment

I would try plugging a cable into the inverter and see if it connects. You do not have a lot to lose. If it does not they probably never know unless you tell them. The cell connection is not the default. The hard wire should be default then wifi would be next. cell and wifi need to be configured but the hard wire should not need to be.
                          All this is a guess as a former unix system administrator, not a solar pro.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertBurr View Post
                            Modbus Monitoring: Also installed the modbus monitoring system to give finer detail on the amount of solar production, the amount exported to the grid, self consumption and the amount imported from the grid. Giant difference. Can easily see now when major appliances come on and how much power they use, as well as accurate stats on how much I exporter to the grid and how much imported, hence the net difference.
                            I really love having the consumption data. Lucked out on having it installed on my system. I would've DIY installed it myself, but with the SetApp inverter it wouldn't have been possible for me to configure it.

Originally posted by RobertBurr View Post
                            New Version of SetApp: I just attended a webinar on SetApp and learned that within a few weeks there will be an owner's version of SetApp, which has many of the same features as the current SetApp in read-only mode.
                            That is good to know. Thanks for the heads up. I will keep an eye on this.
                            https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=69875

Comment

Did Solaredge ever release firmware that allows you to use wifi? I have the newer non-display inverter and the cellular is working terribly.

Comment

I think it’s built in and must simply be connected and configured with the setup app.

Comment

Working...
                                X