No announcement yet.

Installer forcing SolarEdge cellular connection on me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too think it may be a default config as mine came with cellular too. Yes, cellular does have a 4 hour delay but it appears all the data is available from SE eventually. I won't be renewing the cellular when it expires and will go to ethernet.

As to logging, i have a Raspberry PI running a couple of Node-RED apps that downloads all the data automatically from SE. One app pulls every 4 hours for the most recent data and then one pulls data every morning at 4:00am to get the data from the previous day as backup.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLumen View Post
      I too think it may be a default config as mine came with cellular too. Yes, cellular does have a 4 hour delay but it appears all the data is available from SE eventually. I won't be renewing the cellular when it expires and will go to ethernet.

As to logging, i have a Raspberry PI running a couple of Node-RED apps that downloads all the data automatically from SE. One app pulls every 4 hours for the most recent data and then one pulls data every morning at 4:00am to get the data from the previous day as backup.
      There are just an endless number of (useful) things you can do with a Raspberry Pi isn't there. I tinkered with one for a bit, to play videos games, nothing particularly useful

Now that you pointed it out, maybe I'll just leave the cellular alone, but I will have them plug in an ethernet cable if I decide to mount the inverter outside. If the 4 hour delay does end up bothering me, then I'll enable the ethernet.

How do you switch between the cellular and ethernet?
      https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=69875

Comment

It has been a while since I researched it but IMS there is a RJ-45 port in the cabinet. I think then it is just a matter of disabling the cellular and configuring the ethernet. While I like to have static addresses assigned, it may support DHCP - not sure there.

I have also seen, maybe it was on here somewhere, that people were using tiny wireless lan interfaces installed in the cabinets. It involved some cludgy 120v. wiring to get power to them though.

Yes, I love my Pi. Not only to keep in practice with Linux but to do other automated stuff. Along with pulling data from SE, I have it pulling weather data to be injected into and as an AUX control to my ISY ZWave home interface. For example, it flashes the lights if there is a Tornado warning or sets certain fans to run if there is a freeze warning.

FWIW, Texas Instruments makes their Launchpad developer boards too which are pretty cool and some are dirt cheap. I bought some for $5 each some time back. Not as flexible and full featured as the PI, they are nice little dedicated controllers. I'm going to make a HVAC controller and sprinkler controller with them.

PS. Hmm, a "fanatic" now huh?
        Last edited by DrLumen; 06-06-2019, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sunpoweredev View Post
          How do you switch between the cellular and ethernet?
          Ethernet data sampling is apparently still 5-min intervals NOT real-time as stated here, but looks easy enough to switch.....

Attached Files
          Last edited by NJturtlePower; 06-06-2019, 02:47 PM.
          12.35 kW - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=67749

Comment

Correct. On my A-series, I had to disable the cellular card (in software) and enable the Ethernet. Then I just plugged in a cable and used DHCP. Works great. I do use a 3rd party Ethernet to wireless bridge (to connect to my home's wifi). This bridge does require AC as DrLumen points out.

Data is 5min intervals, uploaded every 15min or so (via Ethernet). Much better than 15min intervals uploaded every 4 hours or so. But, at least when using the iOS mobile app, when I connect to the SE monitoring web portal, I do in fact get near real time production and consumption data in the App. There is a few second delay, but I can easily see the impact "in real time" as I turn on/of the air conditioner, microwave, or bathroom heater.

But this is only seen across the top bar. The data in the graphs is still delayed by ~15-30min.

Comment

Originally posted by JSchnee21 View Post
              I can easily see the impact "in real time" as I turn on/of the air conditioner, microwave, or bathroom heater.
              This consumption readout, is it standard on the inverter monitoring, or is it because you have the optional consumption meter?

I would love to have this capability!

Comment

This consumption readout, is it standard on the inverter monitoring, or is it because you have the optional consumption meter?

I would love to have this capability!
                The inverter has no way of knowing consumption without the optional consumption meter
                OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

The inverter has no way of knowing consumption without the optional consumption meter
                  Can it be a DIY install later on if I buy the kit? Or is there some configuration on the inverter and/or within the SolarEdage account profile that only the installer can do? Thanks.

Comment

Can it be a DIY install later on if I buy the kit? Or is there some configuration on the inverter and/or within the SolarEdage account profile that only the installer can do? Thanks.
                    Yes it can be added and there is configuration on the inverter that you can do. I believe others have posted here about adding on the meter.

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

Yes it can be added and there is configuration on the inverter that you can do. I believe others have posted here about adding on the meter.
                      Don't you need full installer access to your site on the monitoring portal?

I asked my installer for it on our system. They came out and installed part of it (an additional enclosure on the side of the house) - said that there was some part they needed (cts?) which they do not yet have, and we are waiting. Now we are back in peak season, and I imagine they are busy again. I haven't paid them for it as of yet, so it doesn't bug me that much..

Comment

Originally posted by ericy View Post

Don't you need full installer access to your site on the monitoring portal?

I asked my installer for it on our system. They came out and installed part of it (an additional enclosure on the side of the house) - said that there was some part they needed (cts?) which they do not yet have, and we are waiting. Now we are back in peak season, and I imagine they are busy again. I haven't paid them for it as of yet, so it doesn't bug me that much..
                        you should have full owner access
                        I am pretty sure if you add the consumption monitor it will just start showing up on an already set up monitoring site, but if not you can call support.

Comment

Here is one I have on my short list. While not the typical consumption meter, you can get roughly the same info for overall consumption but a lot more granular for everything else.
                          https://www.brultech.com/store/index...roller=product

Comment

Originally posted by macaddict View Post

Interesting, I joined one of the sales webcasts and they said that they could be used to join home Wi-Fi networks. I guess that's the difference between a sales person and a technical person...
                            I too thought I saw a bunch of documents or videos saying that if you have a SetApp model, that you just need an antenna (not a wifi card) to give yourself wifi capabilities.

From what I can tell it looks like the card in question is a generic, off-the-shelf wifi module - an Xbee X6B - has anybody bought (~$25) and tried installing one?

Comment

Originally posted by MaxSmart View Post

I too thought I saw a bunch of documents or videos saying that if you have a SetApp model, that you just need an antenna (not a wifi card) to give yourself wifi capabilities.

From what I can tell it looks like the card in question is a generic, off-the-shelf wifi module - an Xbee X6B - has anybody bought (~$25) and tried installing one?
                              I recently installed a setapp inverter. Really frustrating. It should be able to connect to the wifi network without any additional hardware but SE told me it needs a firmware update that's not expected until October so we installed a $50 wifi bridge from amazon. Works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by nwdiver View Post

I recently installed a setapp inverter. Really frustrating. It should be able to connect to the wifi network without any additional hardware but SE told me it needs a firmware update that's not expected until October so we installed a $50 wifi bridge from amazon. Works fine.
                                Which bridge - did you install it internally, or external with an ethernet connection? (I can't find the ethernet port) Is this an indoor or outdoor setup? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X