X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sunpoweredev
    Solar Fanatic
    • Mar 2019

Installer forcing SolarEdge cellular connection on me

I've repeatedly asked my sales rep to remove the cellular connection from my system. Mostly he ignored my requests. Figuring maybe he wants to sell an accessory, I asked him to replace the cellular connection with the consumption monitoring even if there's an additional cost. He still refuses to remove the cellular and I'm quite perplexed as to why, even when I offer to buy another overpriced option in place of the cellular. Does it somehow allow them backdoor access to my system or something? I am buying the system outright.
    https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=69875
  • ericy
    • Aug 2018

Originally posted by sunpoweredev
    I've repeatedly asked my sales rep to remove the cellular connection from my system. Mostly he ignored my requests. Figuring maybe he wants to sell an accessory, I asked him to replace the cellular connection with the consumption monitoring even if there's an additional cost. He still refuses to remove the cellular and I'm quite perplexed as to why, even when I offer to buy another overpriced option in place of the cellular. Does it somehow allow them backdoor access to my system or something? I am buying the system outright.
    What's your objection to the cellular connection?

Without it, you would need some other communications path to do any sort of monitoring - my own system has a ZigBee wireless connection to my router, but I believe one can wire it directly to your internet router.

Without any of this, you have no ability to do any monitoring. The inverter needs to periodically report data to SolarEdge, and to see how the system is performing, you just point your browser to https://monitoring.solaredge.com. Without the connection to the internet, you, the installer and SolarEdge would not have any way to see if there are faults being reported by the system. And for that matter, the consumption monitoring capability would be useless without a connection to the internet.

Comment

• john phillips
      • Apr 2016

You could connect a cat5 cable from the inverter to your router. That is the default connection for the router. To do cellular they have to install a board and tell the inverter to use it. The may have the policy to give the cell connection away because it should be more reliable than your internet connection.

Comment

• sunpoweredev
        Solar Fanatic
        • Mar 2019

Since I already have a wireless bridge in the garage, it's literally just plug and play with an Ethernet cable. Couple of members here who have the cellular connection recommend against it due to its much delayed reporting. I believe they mentioned delayed by 4 hours. So why pay for something with inferior performance? The rep insists that the cellular is "provided to me". Sure, I paid for it somewhere in the total system cost.

I understand it is great for those who can't easily get an Ethernet or even wifi where the inverter is, but since the beginning I told the rep that I will put an Ethernet connection there, so I'm really at a loss why they insist upon having the cellular. My rep did tell me that upon the final 10% payment, after receiving the permission to operate from the utility, that they will remotely turn on the system. Based on that, it seems that they maintain control of my system, which is why I'm speculating that the cellular connection perhaps gives them additional capabilities, or at least ensure that I can't easily remove access to them just by unplugged the Ethernet.

Comment

• ericy
          • Aug 2018

I understand it is great for those who can't easily get an Ethernet or even wifi where the inverter is, but since the beginning I told the rep that I will put an Ethernet connection there, so I'm really at a loss why they insist upon having the cellular. My rep did tell me that upon the final 10% payment, after receiving the permission to operate from the utility, that they will remotely turn on the system. Based on that, it seems that they maintain control of my system, which is why I'm speculating that the cellular connection perhaps gives them additional capabilities, or at least ensure that I can't easily remove access to them just by unplugged the Ethernet.
          Others here will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the cellular does not give them any additional capabilities. It is just a different communications path.

I could only speculate as to why it is that the installer seems to want the cellular. Maybe they just prefer a standardized configuration that all of their techs can easily deal with?

Is the broadband spotty in your area?

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by ericy

Others here will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the cellular does not give them any additional capabilities. It is just a different communications path.

I could only speculate as to why it is that the installer seems to want the cellular. Maybe they just prefer a standardized configuration that all of their techs can easily deal with?

Is the broadband spotty in your area?
            You are correct, cellular does not give anY added benefits
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• malba2366
              • May 2019

They probably don't want to deal with a wifi bridge...those things are unreliable and can create all sorts of issues.

Comment

• sunpoweredev
                Solar Fanatic
                • Mar 2019

ericy you're probably right, that they have a standard config and bundle all their SolarEdge installs with the cellular. My broadband connection here is rock solid. We have a 200mbps connection.

My wifi is a mesh network and is rock solid. Not a single issue since it was setup. No router reboots for months on end unless there's a firmware update.

Comment

• JSchnee21
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2017

Aside from the added cost of the cellular connection, you can just ignore it. I have one, but don't use it. Mine is still installed, but I might have had to disable it (in the inverter firmware) in order to use Ethernet (to 3rd party Wifi bridge) -- don't remember. Most likely the vendor wants it because 1) they already bought it or are charging you a markup for it, 2) lots of customers have issues with their broadband and the Cellular is "ostensibly" a more reliable, if slower, and lower resolution, connection.

That said, I think I have a great installer, but I can tell you they've never connected to my system troubleshoot anything -- let alone proactively. They or SE Corporate might look at the web portal if I called with an issue, but however your data gets there is immaterial to them. 9 times out of 10, they'd just do a truck roll.

Comment

• nwdiver
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Mar 2019

I'm installing my first Solar Edge system soon. I'm a little confused by the new 'SetApp' communication. I know that the setup is now performed via wifi with an app... since the new inverter include wifi does that mean you don't need a bridge anymore to connect to a wifi router?

Comment

• macaddict
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by nwdiver
                      I'm installing my first Solar Edge system soon. I'm a little confused by the new 'SetApp' communication. I know that the setup is now performed via wifi with an app... since the new inverter include wifi does that mean you don't need a bridge anymore to connect to a wifi router?
                      Correct. All the new inverters have Wi-Fi built in.
                      https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=59404

Comment

• bcroe
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by macaddict

OH GREAT, will the Russians be hacking them? I picked up a pair of new spares when
                        they apparently became obsolete, to avoid such things. Bruce Roe

Comment

• sunpoweredev
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Mar 2019

Originally posted by JSchnee21
                          Aside from the added cost of the cellular connection, you can just ignore it. I have one, but don't use it. Mine is still installed, but I might have had to disable it (in the inverter firmware) in order to use Ethernet (to 3rd party Wifi bridge) -- don't remember. Most likely the vendor wants it because 1) they already bought it or are charging you a markup for it, 2) lots of customers have issues with their broadband and the Cellular is "ostensibly" a more reliable, if slower, and lower resolution, connection.

That said, I think I have a great installer, but I can tell you they've never connected to my system troubleshoot anything -- let alone proactively. They or SE Corporate might look at the web portal if I called with an issue, but however your data gets there is immaterial to them. 9 times out of 10, they'd just do a truck roll.
                          Yeah they probably have some kind of agreement with SE that the cellular is their default order configuration. I will be sure to ask my install coordinator about switch the setting to the Ethernet.

BTW I went with GPE as well.

Comment

• sunpoweredev
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Mar 2019

Originally posted by nwdiver
                            Originally posted by macaddict
                            Which inverter do you guys have? My inverter is SE11400H-US and wifi is not listed.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Apr 2014

Yeah they probably have some kind of agreement with SE that the cellular is their default order configuration. I will be sure to ask my install coordinator about switch the setting to the Ethernet.

BTW I went with GPE as well.
                              It is an add on device and an extra line item on the orders.
                              most order from distributors not SolarEdge direct.

I would assume it is just the default for the installer. many have had poor results with the zigbee and are not knowlegable enough to deal with ethernet directly and/or third party gateway devices.
                              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...