X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

You are talking about disabling the solaredge inverter capability so that the optimizers will work with non-solaredge inverters. I don't know why you think this will make them compatible with the residential inverters. What it will do is make them incompatible with solaredge inverters.

The SE1000-Key is no longer supported by SolarEdge and only worked with a limited set of optimizers, most of which are not made any more. The ones that it still works with are the ones that are built into PV modules.

From the manual

The optimizer will no longer be able to alter the output voltage which means it will not maintain the voltage that the SolarEdge inverter needs to operate....

The P600 has very little in common with the P505. They have ONE spec that is the same, does not make them "basically" the same!
    Again you can do your own experimenting but stop spitting out your ill-informed guesses as gospel
    You are a buzz kill. SE says that the se1000 key works with the IndOP optimizer which I have so what's the problem. Do you know for a fact that this will not operate the way that solaredge says have you had experience with this I mean actual hands-on experience

Do you own a SE1000 key, used one, or even touched one?

The PXXX all above P400 have a up to 85Vout , that includes the P505 & P600, the input parameters are Broad and subsequently match just about any panel available.
    I am really only concerned with the output as that is what affects the inverter not the input from the optimizer.
    Last edited by motorcyclemikie; 02-22-2019, 10:57 AM.
    Those who do, do it!

Comment

• Originally posted by motorcyclemikie View Post
      You are a buzz kill.
      reality is your buzz kill here. I am just the one trying to explain it to you, but at this point trying to keep anyone from falling for your mistakes.
      really not sure why the mods are allowing your statements which are clearly counter to the manufacturers documentation and would if followed disable the required safety measures of the system.

Originally posted by motorcyclemikie View Post
      SE says that the se1000 key works with the IndOP optimizer which I have so what's the problem. Do you know for a fact that this will not operate the way that solaredge says
      You are miss reading SolarEdge documentation. I am explaining what they are saying to you and you are still miss understanding.
      Do you have documentation that the P600 has IndOP? (they are not listed as supporting IndOP).

Do you understand that the SolarEdge inverter requires a regulated DC voltage input and that putting optimizers into this mode means that the optimizer voltage output equals the voltage input? That that means that the optimizers can not regulate the voltage that then goes to the inverter which of course requires regulated voltage?

Originally posted by motorcyclemikie View Post
      I am really only concerned with the output as that is what affects the inverter not the input from the optimizer.
      Again read the documentation... Don't be so obtuse here.
      in the mode you want to put them in (which the optimizer doesn't support) it will not work with SolarEdge inverters.
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• 168 posts and he's still not getting it.
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
          168 posts and he's still not getting it.
          Thanks for all the advice, you are right . . . after 168 post and no one has done this, actually not speculatively.

Hey sorry, don't get angry with this question, I kinda thought that with a simple question, should have asked this question on MCelectrical blog, he seems to be unbiased and explains in physical terms not marketing explainations
          Those who do, do it!

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, you are right . . . after 168 post and no one has done this, actually not speculatively.

Hey sorry, don't get upset I kinda thought that with a simple question, should have asked this question on MCelectrical blog, he seems to be unbiased and explains in physical terms not marketing explainations
            So ask the same question over there and maybe you'll get the answers you're looking for. Then, you can come back here and enlighten all of us biased marketeers who wasted your time.

Comment

...You are a buzz kill. SE says that the se1000 key works with the IndOP optimizer which I have so what's the problem....
              I've got no idea, call and speak to SE and have them fix it.. It won't be the first time Marketing does not listen to Engineering.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• MotorcycleMike,

I have no problem with you trying to make something work. All the power to you.

The problem I would have regarding a relatively complex, closed box system, would be trouble shooting things if they didn't work. I often work on cars and motorcycles and when things don't work I have to start guessing what is the likely issue. Fixing the problem can be minutes or hours, but diagnosing the problem in the first place can be days and weeks and still remain unresolved. It is also easier to trouble shoot a system that has at one time worked or follows the manufactures specs.

So if you do have a problem, how will you know that the issue was a true compatibility issue or........

1) A bad MC4 connector
                2) A DOA bad optimizer
                3) A faulty crimp at an MC4 connector
                4) A DOA inverter
                5) Firmware not being up to date on an inverter
                6) A bad wiring connection
                7) Simply wired wrong. MC4 crimped as male when it should have been crimped as female etc.
                8) A bad panel
                9) Bad wiring on a panel

The list of reasons why a system doesn't work can be too large to list. And there is no way to test each one of these possible faulty conditions to know for certain that it isn't just equipment incompatibility.

So having a new system that has yet to work or has potential compatibility issues makes troubleshooting a potential nightmare.

I wish you the best in getting a system put together, but I would not venture down a path that has me retracing my steps in frustration.

Comment

Yeah, the SE7600H GSM is new,
                  And priced at $500 instead of the typical ~$1500+?
                  I'm curious as to how you found that.
                  Your ability to find deals is better than mine. So please share how you're finding these prices.

if still not working trade the p600's for p505's.
                  Are you going to be able to exchange them?
                  p600s are already discontinued.
                  There's a good chance a vendor (especially one that's giving you a lower price on them) is not going to take them back without a restocking fee.
                  Since you've already bought them, it's too late to make sure the return policy for your vendor is generous enough for you to come out of this with it only costing you shipping expenses.
                  But I think you received enough warnings that this plan isn't going to work, so if you didn't check beforehand that's on you.

Document my findings as "tried and known" so others will know the results firsthand.
                  Don't know why you think there's a need to document this more than what the manufacturer has already documented.
                  The manufacturer already says it isn't something that's supported.
                  But it's your money.

That is the plan! The p505 optimizers are basically the same as the P600, with a few electrical parameters that really are outside of my needed criteria
                  Since you're not using the tools provided by SE to determine what optimizers will work, you will need to do it manually.
                  You'll have to make sure that the Voc on a cold day (ie. using the thermal coefficient) is not going to exceed the max voltage input allowed by the P505 or P600.
                  That the Isc is not going to be larger than the max input current to the optimizer.
                  If you don't understand how to calculate the Voc with thermal coeficients, you should find out.

I will lose sleep if the p505's don't work the way that solaredge says and that includes operating them two panels in a Serial Fashion on one optimizer.
                  They specify specific parameters for the DC inputs - if you aren't within those parameters that's your own fault.

If that all fails then the next option is to spend another $500 on 12 more p505, that's 24 Total 1 per panel
                  Actually if you do significant over-voltage on the DC input of the optimizer, possibly you will have burnt up those 12, and now you're buying 24 more.
                  I don't know what modules you're considering buying and whether two in series would be much higher Voc than the p505 allows.

Comment

• Originally posted by foo1bar View Post
                    And priced at $500 instead of the typical ~$1500+?
                    I'm curious as to how you found that.
                    Your ability to find deals is better than mine. So please share how you're finding these prices.

p600s are already discontinued.
                    There's a good chance a vendor (especially one that's giving you a lower price on them) is not going to take them back without a restocking fee.
                    Since you've already bought them, it's too late to make sure the return policy for your vendor is generous enough for you to come out of this with it only costing you shipping expenses.
                    But I think you received enough warnings that this plan isn't going to work, so if you didn't check beforehand that's on you.

There are a couple of the SE7600H on eBay currently that are selling for under $1,000, I got the $500 one there, it was open box which is okay with me, also it was the RGM version, the thousand-dollar one ended in NNC2 which is the RGM also, the $949 on ebay ends in BNC4, they say it's RGM I'm not sure.

So I heard it mentioned somewhere (maybe it was on here) that when you are replacing individual optimizers that it is good practice to keep them close to within the same date code as there are possibly minor differences at different dates.

subsequently If they are obsolete there still a market for them.
                    Last edited by motorcyclemikie; 02-23-2019, 01:36 AM.
                    Those who do, do it!

Comment

Working...
                    X