• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • littleharbor
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

This will work,

If you say so.

120 comments here on this thread and I doubt you have comprehended 10% of what is being said. You are so dead set on doing it your way while not knowing squat about what you ARE doing.

Best of luck my friend, you're going to need it.
    Last edited by inetdog; 01-28-2019, 03:32 PM. Reason: fix quote tag
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by ButchDeal

I believe that i have exactly the picture if what you are trying to do fine. You can stick that 9mm into the .38 but it isnt such a good idea.
      We are still in agreement Butch, I used to shoot 308 winchester in my 7.62 Galil, that was cheaper also, i'm with you!
      Those who do, do it!

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by littleharbor
        This will work,

If you say so.

120 comments here on this thread and I doubt you have comprehended 10% of what is being said. You are so dead set on doing it your way while not knowing squat about what you ARE doing.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Little, I have to pursue this until I know differently!
        Those who do, do it!

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by littleharbor

Your best of luck wish is going on as we speak, turns out Wholesalesolar is 25mi down the road from me, i'll talk to them tomorrow. things just keep getting better
          Those who do, do it!

Comment

• John_Dumke
            • Dec 2017

Motorcycle Mikie,

I have to admire your determination and gumption. And I don't say that sarcastically, I mean it sincerely.

With that said, if I were a betting man, I would say the likelihood of your setup working is significantly less than 50%.. If it works that is awesome. But I bet that even SolarEdge may not know if it will work or not. Maybe they never intended the inverter to work with the optimizers so from their prospective it doesn't work. But **** can happen and maybe everything works fine.

However, I would stick with what works on SolarEdge's design site. https://designer.solaredge.com. If something doesn't work I wouldn't want to have to return product or spend hours trouble shooting a inverter to optimizer communications issue. I have no idea what information gets sent back and forth between an inverter an an optimizer to "Pair" them, this is beyond my pay grade and I wouldn't know where to start troubleshooting.

If you get a setup to work that is not approved of by the design tool, then you are the man and my hats off to you. I just don't have that much faith in my ability to handle engineering work arounds. And I have an engineering degree. I do know what I know and many times I would be willing to work outside the box so to speak. But I don't think there is anything that anybody could tell you about the pairing process and what signals get sent and received. I believe to really anticipate whether your system could work or not would require being the SolarEdge programmer that developed the "Pairing" protocol. and then be able to re write some of the firmware within the inverter and then flash the new code to make the items compatible.

Short of being able to do understand or re write code this is simply trial and error with who knows the likelyhood of success.

How do you plan on testing the pairing process if you don't have the minimum number of 8 optimizers? Will you plan on buying 8 optimizers?

Comment

• foo1bar
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2014

We are making these 3 X 250w panels to electrically look like 1 X 750w panel just the way the panels are built with individual cells in certain configurations that dictate what you want for voltage & current output.
              Unless you're physically opening the panel and rewiring it's connections, you can't make 3 of 250W panels look like a 750W panel in the way you are proposing.

The given is the wattage, the voltage and the current is proportional but it always equals the 750w of the 3 X 250w panels.
              NO!
              The wattage is NOT a given.
              For the below specs, the module under full sunlight will provide:
              0 W at 37.5V and 0.0A
              1 W at 37.45V and 0.03A
              245W at 30.2V and 8.13A
              2W at 0.2V and 8.65A
              or
              0W at 0V and 8.68A

Which of those you get (or which point inbetween) is going to be dependent on what load you have on that sytem.

This is the panel specs I have in mind.
              Rated Power: 245W[
              ]Open circuit voltage (VOC): 37.5 V[*
              ]Max power voltage (VMP): 30.2 V[*
              ]Short circuit current (ISC): 8.68 A[*
              ]Max power current: 8.13 A[*
              ]Power Tolerance 0/+3%[*
              ]Maximum system voltage: 600V (UL)[*
              ]Fuse Rating: 15 A[*
              OK - so two in parallel would be about 8.13A * 2 and 30.2V *IF* they are at their max power point.
              That's 16.26A that you're going to try to shove through a single module.
              The specs for the single module says "Fuse Rating 15A" - well, that sounds like it's a potential problem, since we're trying to shove 16+A through that single module.
              But let's ignore that for now (even though it is a problem).
              Now you've got two modules sending 16A through this 3rd module.
              The third module still has a Isc of 8.68A. So if we're above 8.68A flowing through it, there is no voltage (or even a voltage drop instead of a voltage increase)
              So essentially that 3rd module provides no net power to the system at that current.
              You might argue that we should pick a different current to operate this bizarre set of panels at. Ok, I'm game for that - what current would you like to choose? let's say you pick 8.6A, which is where that third panel starts producing a little power. Now panel C is giving you a few watts (lets say 10W) . What are the other two panels doing? They're at 4.34A each and ~35V. So they're each giving you 151W. That plus 10W from panel C and you now have 312W from the trio of 245W modules.

Summary:
              If you wired the 3 in series you'd have 735W (8.13A @ 91V ).
              If you wired the 3 in parallel you'd have 735W (~24A @ ~30V)
              With the horribly bad idea you're proposing the max power point is probably either around 16.26A@30.2V (490W) Or at around 8.13A@60.4V (490W)
              oh - and the other really crappy thing about this choice of configuration is that these are both local maximums - there's a big dip in power output between the two. So the software in the optimizer that's trying to find that max power point is probably only going to find one of the two.

The ONLY way this would work the way you're suggesting is if you open up the solar modules and rewire them. Theoretically it'd be possible to take the 3rd panel and split up the groups of solar cells and wire it so instead of 4 groups of cells in each module you had 4 in module A, 4 in module B, and 2 sets of 2 in module C. Wire each set of two in series with one of the other modules and now you've got a system of ~16A @ ~45V. HOWEVER doing that means opening the module and breaking the existing wiring and adding new wiring. All while making sure you don't break anything sealing moisture out from the solar cells (or they'll degrade badly in 1-3 years). And you'll need to properly make connections that will hold up to continuous current of 8A or 16A. And they won't be approved modifications to the equipment, so the building dept/AHJ and/or the power company could tell you that's not allowed. Of course when you have one of these show a problem you're screwed - you can't do anything with it under warranty. Or long story short - it might be theoretically possible, but realistically it's not viable.

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2019

Originally posted by John_Dumke
                Motorcycle Mikie,

I have to admire your determination and gumption. And I don't say that sarcastically, I mean it sincerely.

With that said, if I were a betting man, I would say the likelihood of your setup working is significantly less than 50%.. If it works that is awesome. But I bet that even SolarEdge may not know if it will work or not. Maybe they never intended the inverter to work with the optimizers so from their prospective it doesn't work. But **** can happen and maybe everything works fine.

However, I would stick with what works on SolarEdge's design site. https://designer.solaredge.com. If something doesn't work I wouldn't want to have to return product or spend hours trouble shooting a inverter to optimizer communications issue. I have no idea what information gets sent back and forth between an inverter an an optimizer to "Pair" them, this is beyond my pay grade and I wouldn't know where to start troubleshooting.

If you get a setup to work that is not approved of by the design tool, then you are the man and my hats off to you. I just don't have that much faith in my ability to handle engineering work arounds. And I have an engineering degree. I do know what I know and many times I would be willing to work outside the box so to speak. But I don't think there is anything that anybody could tell you about the pairing process and what signals get sent and received. I believe to really anticipate whether your system could work or not would require being the SolarEdge programmer that developed the "Pairing" protocol. and then be able to re write some of the firmware within the inverter and then flash the new code to make the items compatible.

Short of being able to do understand or re write code this is simply trial and error with who knows the likelyhood of success.

How do you plan on testing the pairing process if you don't have the minimum number of 8 optimizers? Will you plan on buying 8 optimizers?
                Thanks John I appreciate the wise words, I really do realize the reality of the approach to my PV system design. I do intend to do a standard solaredge design using all their parts and in the prescribed quantities -- I will not cut corners initially with any blue sky ideas, my Mantra is to get something working and improve on it later if it's feasible. I really don't need to beat all the air out of these system prices, but getting a great bang for the WATT seems attractive to me

You know John you really do make sense by the time one were to get a firmware developers kit and spent time working to understand compatibility and so forth would be foolhardy financially and otherwise. I just can't help but to think that logically my configuration would work, it makes sense, but that can wait, you could buy a huge amount of optimizers for that time and expense. I would love to see their code though, and I'd jump at that chance were it presented. I am sure I could energize a known compatible P3XX optimizer to check "pairing", with that known, it could be scaled, or tested with a "target" part. The reality, is all that worth it to satisfy a curiosity? I think not at this point

I still have a lot to do with the permitting however I feel better knowing that I have "Wholesalesolar" in my county 25mi away. I am sure they can steer me in the right direction and profit simultaneously.

Thanks everyone for your help!
                Those who do, do it!

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2019

Originally posted by foo1bar

You might argue that we should pick a different current to operate this bizarre set of panels at. Ok, I'm game for that - what current would you like to choose? .
                  Yes Foo, when we increase the voltage to decrease the current, would be one way. Yeah, it all come down to operating within the devices limits naturally. I still aren't sure which PV panels and optimizers I am going to use, I will be paying close attention though Thanks

Those who do, do it!

Comment

• jflorey2
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by motorcyclemikie
                    One last thing, are used PV panels a waste of money... Thanks
                    Usually, yes, for several reasons.

1) Panel prices have been dropping for a long time. So that guy who spent $600 for his 150 watt panel 10 years ago is going to give you a "great" price on it of $200 - a savings of $400! - even though you can easily get a 300 watt panel today for $200.

2) Panel efficiencies have been going up. Same as above.

3) While crystalline panels see little degradation over time, they do see some - and so you will be buying a lower performing panel.

4) Most installs that take advantage of subsidies need warrantied parts - and used panels don't come with warranties.

All that being said, if you get a screaming deal on a panel that you want (i.e. 10 cents a watt for 5 year old panels that have been in a shipping container this whole time, and it's an odd size that you need) then great. But for me it has to be a VERY good deal to overcome the problems listed above.

Comment

• jflorey2
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2015

our best of luck wish is going on as we speak, turns out Wholesalesolar is 25mi down the road from me, i'll talk to them tomorrow.
                      Great; more information is always better. Just remember - TALK but do not BUY.

Comment

• Ben25
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2014

I'm dying to know if the p-800s will work with a 7600 inverter! That being said, this is why people pay me to install their solar for them. Most people just want something that is installed properly, will work for a long time, they don't have to install it and they don't have to mess with it at all. (And it will be covered by the manufacturers warranty should something go wrong)
                        Absolutely nothing wrong with the DIY route as long as it's done safely, but you may catch flack for crazy ideas!

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Ben25
                          I'm dying to know if the p-800s will work with a 7600 inverter! That being said, this is why people pay me to install their solar for them. Most people just want something that is installed properly, will work for a long time, they don't have to install it and they don't have to mess with it at all. (And it will be covered by the manufacturers warranty should something go wrong)
                          Absolutely nothing wrong with the DIY route as long as it's done safely, but you may catch flack for crazy ideas!
                          Man Ben, isn't that what people want with any business! I know I do AND at the lowest possible practical cost. You know, without fanning the quiet embers I am certain that the P800 will pair with ANY solaredge inverter because solaredge documentation says it will. I am on a mission to find that out as that is the best Optimizer for my system design, I believe at this point.

yeah Ben I'll keep you posted

Those who do, do it!

Comment

• ButchDeal
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Apr 2014

I am certain that the P800 will pair with ANY solaredge inverter because solaredge documentation says it will.
                            There is NO SolarEdge documentation that states anysuch thing.
                            You are miss reading and miss comprehending the documentaton.
                            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2019

So after quite a bit of research on the optimizer subject I have found that the P6XX, P7XX, and P8XX series is essentially all made for two panels per Optimizer, depending on the type of panels your using determines the optimizer to use, makes sense doesn't it. Since I can get them all for about the same price of $45 I would naturally go with the higher capacity part the p800 enough said
                              Those who do, do it!

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jan 2019

Butch, I found this in solaredge documentation I think this matches the p800 optimizer

SolarEdge power optimizers are DC-DC converters connected to PV modules in order to maximize power harvesting by performing Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) at the module level. Power optimizers with SolarEdge

RESET ON THIS it didn't save all my highlighted data that I intended to show you

SolarEdge power optimizers are DC-DC converters connected to PV modules in order to maximize power
                                harvesting by performing Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) at the module level.
                                Power optimizers with SolarEdge
                                Last edited by motorcyclemikie; 01-29-2019, 03:24 PM.
                                Those who do, do it!

Comment

Working...