X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • motorcyclemikie
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2019

Where's the rest of the cost?

I am new here, first post! I saw a grape 5.3KW PV system at Home Depot for $10,373. It consists of 20pcs 265W solar panels, 20 power optimizers, and a Solaredge inverter. This is near what I was planning on installing on my unobstructed southern facing roof. My service entrance/breaker panel is 8ft away from the PV field.

I can purchase all new 24pcs of Sunpower P17 335W (8KW), and a Solaredge SE7600H-US inverter for $4000.

Where is the cost difference, it can't be the optimizers ? Are the optimizers a must in my installation?

Thanks -- great site with lots of knowledge!
    Those who do, do it!
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

I'd be very cautious about the Sunpower stuff. To the best of my knowledge, they do not sell to end users. And besides, that's an absurd price (~ $0.50/STC W). Somewhat new model so I'd suspect surplus/damaged/off spec rather than used equip ? The P17 designation denotes a commercial unit and not their top of the line stuff, but that, in and of itself make the equipment substandard. Just more reason to suspect used/surplus stock. Warranty ? sloppy seconds ? What country are you in ? Big Caveat Emptor on that one.

And no - you do not absolutely need optimizers. They may be helpful or they may not be helpful. Sounds/reads to me like you need to get informed about solar PV before you get screwed my what you don't know, particularly if DIY. Get and read a copy of "Solar Power Your Homer for Dummies". Somewhat dated free downloads are available on the net. Google around. Or, get a hard copy for ~ $25 on Amazon or bookstores.

I'd shop around on the net for prices after reading the book. If nothing else, you'll get more variety, better pricing and more equipment choices. You also will learn more.

Comment

• Paul Land
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2018

Originally posted by motorcyclemikie
      I am new here, first post! I saw a grape 5.3KW PV system at Home Depot for $10,373. It consists of 20pcs 265W solar panels, 20 power optimizers, and a Solaredge inverter. This is near what I was planning on installing on my unobstructed southern facing roof. My service entrance/breaker panel is 8ft away from the PV field.

I can purchase all new 24pcs of Sunpower P17 335W (8KW), and a Solaredge SE7600H-US inverter for $4000.

Where is the cost difference, it can't be the optimizers ? Are the optimizers a must in my installation?

I worked at H.D. doing lead generation i would pitch the product 8am to 5pm and call in the leads to appointment setter for A/C trane, roof & siding, Generac and PV they are all outside local area winning bid ( how big of a kickback) contractors. H.D. gets 20-25% kickback
      hd pv.png
      Last edited by Paul Land; 01-17-2019, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2019

Thanks for the info, I checked into the "P" series panels and they seem to be what I want. They are available on ebay for $123ea. I am soo spun from all the information overload I have been reading that if I don't act soon on this that I may never act at all!

I plan to scale it down to 18 panels ( 6.3KW ) and a SMA 6KW inverter.

My target is 6KW for $3000, I know it can't be done, but I am so spun on this that I won't realize it until I find it out for myself.

A $3000 solar education seems like a good deal to me.
        Those who do, do it!

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Thanks for the info, I checked into the "P" series panels and they seem to be what I want. They are available on ebay for $123ea. I am soo spun from all the information overload I have been reading that if I don't act soon on this that I may never act at all!

My target is 6KW for $3000, I know it can't be done, but I am so spun on this that I won't realize it until I find it out for myself.

Just make sure you have investigated what the rules are for a DIY pv install in your area. Both the local codes and POCO have to agree with the design and who is installing the hardware.

Comment

• littleharbor
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2016

Those panels appear to be C grade multicrystalline panels with only a 16.2% efficiency rating. The 60 day warranty from the seller isn't too comforting. These appear to be a panel design from Sunpower that didn't work out. I was surprised to see multicrystalline panels with the Sunpower name on them.
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

I'd restate the idea of caution with respect to buying Sunpower panels on e-bay.
              As to your $0.50/STC W, my guess is you're unaware of what's required with respect to materials and probably other things as well. About the best informed DIY'ers have reported around here is ~~ $1.00 - $1.25/STC W +/- a bit.

Spending ~ 20 bucks on a real self education with the book is a better deal.

3 large, or $0.50/STC W for a complete DIY system is probably wishful, or ignorant and delusional thinking, may result in an expensive education and not a good system, and so false economy and a real crappy deal if some/all of it goes for naught or winds up in costly mistakes that could have been avoided with some prior knowledge/prep.

Look before you leap.

For starters, Suggest you get answers to these questions :

What is your annual load is ?
              How much of that annual load do you want to offset ? (100% may not be the best choice either economically or practically)
              How you are charged for power ?
              Is net metering is available to you ?
              If you plan to be off grid, do you know the real costs and likely required lifestyle adjustments ? (if not, get ready for some real sticker shock)
              I permitting by local authority required ? If so, what's the procedure ?
              How will you model potential output from a PV array ?

Besides, what's the big rush ? A bit of time spent in self education can pay big dividends.

But, suit yourself.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

The optimizers are a MUST if you are using any SolarEdge inverter like the SE7600H-US.
                You may or may not NEED optimizers but if you don't then you will need a different inverter.

Added costs would be the racking, flash mounts, clamps, conduit, etc.
                OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• jflorey2
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2015

Then do not act! Spend in haste, repent at leisure. We have a fair number of people who come here and say "so I spent all my money on these great panels for only $.80 a watt! Now I have no more money. How do I connect them to power my house?"

Also if your roof is unobstructed you don't really need optimizers.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ButchDeal

The optimizers are a MUST if you are using any SolarEdge inverter like the SE7600H-US.
                    You may or may not NEED optimizers but if you don't then you will need a different inverter.

Added costs would be the racking, flash mounts, clamps, conduit, etc.
                    So consider different inverters/methods. There's nothing sacred about SolarEdge. After addressing safety concerns in any panel to grid interface method, SolarEdge equipment with optimizers is but one way to do it among several fit for purpose ways to accomplish the same task.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.

So consider different inverters/methods. There's nothing sacred about SolarEdge. After addressing safety concerns in any panel to grid interface method, SolarEdge equipment with optimizers is but one way to do it among several fit for purpose ways to accomplish the same task.
                      OP listed the solarEdge inverter, not me. I just answered his question.

He didn't mention if he had shadows or if there are rapid shutdown concerns (likely), where solaredge would be the cheapest/simplest solution though.

Comment

• foo1bar
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2014

5.3KW PV ... is near what I was planning on installing on my unobstructed southern facing roof. My service entrance/breaker panel is 8ft away from the PV field.
                        I'd go to renvu and use their tool to come up with an initial set of materials for a "kit" that can then be customized more if need be.

HD/grape have a significant profit margin built into what they're selling.

And if you aren't comfortable opening a breaker box and doing work inside it, IMO you should just stop even considering a DIY install.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ButchDeal

OP listed the solarEdge inverter, not me. I just answered his question.

He didn't mention if he had shadows or if there are rapid shutdown concerns (likely), where solaredge would be the cheapest/simplest solution though.
                          Yes he did. But from his question "are the optimizers a must in my situation ?", I've got a feeling the OP is pretty clueless about what he may need, and that SolarEdge was the first thing proposed to him and he's limited in equipment knowledge, or doesn't know that other options for inverters and /or array interface besides SolarEdge are available.

IMO, you answered his question like a SolarEdge peddler and not in the most informative way for the OP's best benefit.

The OP did mention an unobstructed and south facing roof so I'd think, as one opinion, that a regular sting inverter would be a viable solution.
                          Last edited by J.P.M.; 01-17-2019, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Yes he did. But from his question "are the optimizers a must in my situation ?", I've got a feeling the OP is pretty clueless about what he may need, and that SolarEdge was the first thing proposed to him and he's limited in equipment knowledge, or doesn't know that other options for inverters and /or array interface besides SolarEdge are available.

IMO, you answered his question like a SolarEdge peddler and not in the most informative way for the OP's best benefit.

The OP did mention an unobstructed and south facing roof so I'd think, as one an opinion, that a regular sting inverter would be a viable solution.
                            i said he may or may not need them but he would need to get a different inverter.....

he likely also has rapid shutdown requirments which would be built in with solaredge but require additional work and cost with other equioment.

Comment

• littleharbor
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2016

Don't forget the equipment isn't going to install itself. A significant portion of the original price has to pay for labor and a profit above labor cost to the contractor.
                              2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Working...