X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • motorcyclemikie
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2019

I don't really thing that there will be a way to test the inverter SE7600 with one optimizer. As other have suggested, there needs to be a minimum of 8 (I believe) optimizers in a string for the string to work. In addition the inverter needs to be connected to power to work, which I believe would be 240v.

You know John, I have not explained my idea correctly, I want to attach three 250w panels to one optimizer, if you can use 8 optimizers instead of 24 it might save you a considerable amount of money. This be done with 2 panels in parallel, in series with the third it gives 12.5Amax 60vdc at 750w (3X250w) I chose a optimizer (P800) above those electrical requirements. I have several power supplies that will simulate PV panels.

If everything else fails I could always buy 24 optimizers instead of 8. I'm also thinking that less would increase the relialiabilty overall of the system

Those who do, do it!

Comment

• foo1bar
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by motorcyclemikie
      You know John, I have not explained my idea correctly, I want to attach three 250w panels to one optimizer, if you can use 8 optimizers instead of 24 it might save you a considerable amount of money. This be done with 2 panels in parallel, in series with the third it gives 12.5Amax 60vdc at 750w (3X250w)

No - it does not give you 12.5A at 60VDC.

What you're describing is probably about 80VDC and ~8A. At least I believe you are describing is something like

...../--A---\
      ----<........>---C----
      .....\--B---/

Where the letters are modules and the left side and right side connect to the optijmizer. And ignoring the '.' I had to put in to get it to show up right.
      It'll really depend on the IV curves for the panels and what the optimizer would choose for an operating point.
      But with an Isc of 8.54A, we can know that would be your max current for the above configuration (higher current could be possible, but then C would have 0 or less than zero volts across it.
      Last edited by foo1bar; 01-26-2019, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• John_Dumke
        • Dec 2017

Thanks John, good write up, I can see you have been there! I want to put in a system without the big bucks and the fluff. Heck, you can still buy a small house on a acre here for less than most people spend on a PV system.
        What is your cost for electricity? My best guess is that I pay about .23 per kWh. If you are paying much less, then maybe solar isn't worth it?

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by John_Dumke

What is your cost for electricity? My best guess is that I pay about .23 per kWh. If you are paying much less, then maybe solar isn't worth it?
          No, it probably isn't cost effective we are $.13 KWH, at $100mo current power bill this $4-5K (materials cost) will take over 4yrs. to pay off, I find that attractive though and I want to be able to survive when (not if) the grid goes down.

I might also add another variable most people never factor into their calculations, i'm 70yo, am I looking for a 20 yr payoff?
          Last edited by motorcyclemikie; 01-27-2019, 01:51 PM.
          Those who do, do it!

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by foo1bar

No - it does not give you 12.5A at 60VDC.

What you're describing is probably about 80VDC and ~8A.
            Yes sir Foo, I wasn't being exact on the numbers.

I assumed the per 250w panel 30vdc out as mfg. stated -- 250w / 30v = 8.33A (P/E=I)

2 panels in parallel is 500w / 30v = 16.66A

with the added 3rd panel in series with the previous 2 panels is 750w / 60v = 12.50A

You'll notice that the 2 panels exceed the current limits of the P800 optimizer until you add the third panel, I think that might cause confusion here.

You'll also notice I am stuck on the P800 until I prove to myself otherwise, Solaredge says it IS compatable with the 3 phase inverters, they didn't say NOT with single phase inverters.

With the PV panels being cheaper than optimizers, I can see eliminating excessive unneeded cost at this point,
            Last edited by motorcyclemikie; 01-27-2019, 01:43 PM.
            Those who do, do it!

Comment

• John_Dumke
              • Dec 2017

I find that attractive though and I want to be able to survive when (not if) the grid goes down.
              You're inverter (SolarEdge SE7600) has an auto shut down feature, required by code on many (most?) grid tied installations. If the grid goes down your inverter shuts down as well.

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2019

Originally posted by John_Dumke

You're inverter (SolarEdge SE7600) has an auto shut down feature, required by code on many (most?) grid tied installations. If the grid goes down your inverter shuts down as well.
                I hear you John, I think I could flip off the service entrance switch and back feed with my $65 Harbor Freight generator to energize the system

I have a 4KW honda gen also
                Last edited by motorcyclemikie; 01-27-2019, 02:08 PM.
                Those who do, do it!

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2014

No, it probably isn't cost effective we are $.13 KWH, at $100mo current power bill this $4-5K (materials cost) will take over 4yrs. to pay off, I find that attractive though and I want to be able to survive when (not if) the grid goes down.

I might also add another variable most people never factor into their calculations, i'm 70yo, am I looking for a 20 yr payoff?
                  well you already mentioned a 4 year ROI.

The equipment you mention is NOT going to continue to work in any way though with the grid outage.

My utility cost is $0.12kWh and I have a 12 year ROI but mine is bimodal so we get benefits right away with power during outages. It is the added cost due to battery and bimodal inverter that pushed my ROI to 12 years though...
                  OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• ButchDeal
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Apr 2014

[QUOTE=motorcyclemikie;n390756]

You'll also notice I am stuck on the P800 until I prove to myself otherwise, Solaredge says it IS compatable with the 3 phase inverters, they didn't say NOT with single phase inverters.

/QUOTE]

SolarEdge doesn't list every configuration that is NOT compatible. They ONLY list compatible configurations...

Comment

• ButchDeal
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2014

I hear you John, I think I could flip off the service entrance switch and back feed with my $65 Harbor Freight generator to energize the system
                      ok You have a lot of "I Think" going on which is not going to work.
                      This is yes another. SolarEdge will NOT sync to the Harbor FRIGHT genset, and if you manage to hack it to somehow sync, well that will be the end of your genset...

i'm 70yo, am I looking for a 20 yr payoff?
                      Sounds like you have a plan to not make it to 71

You might want to take a look at the SolarEdge document on gensets: https://www.solaredge.com/sites/defa...generators.pdf

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by ButchDeal

well you already mentioned a 4 year ROI.

The equipment you mention is NOT going to continue to work in any way though with the grid outage.

My utility cost is $0.12kWh and I have a 12 year ROI but mine is bimodal so we get benefits right away with power during outages. It is the added cost due to battery and bimodal inverter that pushed my ROI to 12 years though...
                        I was origionally looking at a wind generator as we have a windy conditions here also.
                        Those who do, do it!

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2019

You have a lot of "I Think" going on which is not going to work.

Sounds like you have a plan to not make it to 71

You might want to take a look at the SolarEdge document [/URL]
                          As I said "until I prove to myself otherwise". I like the Solaredge products, I bought their SE7600h inverter for several reasons, I have also seen some of their Miss information with regards to technical specifications. I know that this happens a lot in a high-performance industry that's moving at a fast pace.

I know that this happens a lot in a high-performance industry it's moving at a fast pace.

I sincerely appreciate your concern that I live one more year but all probability suggest I will, thanks

if my calculations are incorrect I am very interested where I am wrong, actually proven wrong is more accurate
                          Those who do, do it!

Comment

• motorcyclemikie
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2019

[QUOTE=ButchDeal;n390762]
                            SolarEdge doesn't list every configuration that is NOT compatible. They ONLY list compatible configurations...
                            "Marketing information sir, quick and general marketing information", engineering DVT's and characterization charts would tell the story. To rely on marketing spin is a serious mistake in any business

Butch I am only stuck on the P800 because that matches my needs until otherwise, I can imagine a better fit for what I need to optimize my dollar though.

That brings up the point that I wanted the most power throughput for my $.

800w for $45 ($.177w) helps my budget, how does that measure up, I don't know, I am too new to this to know.

One last thing Butch, this product is made in China -- I have been, and seen things that a human should't see
                            Last edited by motorcyclemikie; 01-27-2019, 03:26 PM.
                            Those who do, do it!

Comment

• ButchDeal
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Apr 2014

As I said "until I prove to myself otherwise". I like the Solaredge products, I bought their SE7600h inverter for several reasons, I have also seen some of their Miss information with regards to technical specifications. I know that this happens a lot in a high-performance industry that's moving at a fast pace.

I know that this happens a lot in a high-performance industry it's moving at a fast pace.

I sincerely appreciate your concern that I live one more year but all probability suggest I will, thanks

if my calculations are incorrect I am very interested where I am wrong, actually proven wrong is more accurate
                              You have not mentioned ANY miss information on SolarEdge documentation. So far everything that you have claimed was inaccurate was instead just miss understanding on your part of the terminology.

You should really be educating yourself BEFORE ordering things.
                              You have 3 major miss conceptions about the equipment you have ordered already:

The SE7600H will not do any backup.
                              The P800 will not work with the SE7600H
                              the SE7600H will not work with your generator.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Apr 2014

[QUOTE=motorcyclemikie;n390767]

"Marketing information sir, quick and general marketing information", engineering DVT's and characterization charts would tell the story. To rely on marketing spin is a serious mistake in any business

Butch I am only stuck on the P800 because that matches my needs until otherwise, I can imagine a better fit for what I need to optimize my dollar though.

That brings up the point that I wanted the most power throughput for my $.

800w for $45 ($.177w) helps my budget, how does that measure up, I don't know, I am too new to this to know.
                                I have shared with your TECHNICAL specifications sheets that list compatibility. This is NOT marketing material.
                                I have also been to many of their certification classes on the products as have others here.

You are relying on miss conceptions and guesses based on further miss conceptions of how the equipment work...

The P800 does NOT match your needs. It matches your miss conception of a perceived need based on false assumptions and against all advice from people knowledgable on the products.

$45 for ZERO watts does NOT help your budget. An inverter that will not meet your want of power during an outage does also not help your budget.

You need to either (and likely both) change your wants and/or change your budget.

If you need to keep the budget low then you should be looking at SMA or Fronius and drop the backup requirement.
                                If you need the backup requirement then you need to increase the budget AND change your inverter...

Comment

Working...