X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSchnee21
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2017

$2.68 is a great price. If it were me, I would get a quote from SolarCity for a SolarEdge Solution (11400 W inverter) even though you don' have shading the panel level monitoring, diagnostics, and rapid shutdown are worth it (in my opinion)

I don't think Panasonic makes 335W panels. The largest size on their website are the N330's (the model I have).
    Going solar with one of America’s most trusted brands provides your family with decades of clean power and energy savings.

LG makes a 335w in 60-cell format (Neon 2 60-cell) and the new Neon R comes even higher (350-365w). But these just came out and are likely to be very expensive. I wouldn't surprise me if SC gets a preferential price on Panasonic since Musk is in bed with them on batteries and the new PV manufacturing plant in Rochester, NY.

Comment

• Singuy
      • Aug 2017

You're right, the panels Solarcity and Panasonic collaborated is 325w low profile panel. Not 335w. Also it seems like the people who measures the roof determines what kind of inverter I'll get. Perhaps I can push for solar edge when they are up there. Looks to be the same price but I'm not sure about it.

I'm looking into getting a bigger system, 13kw now that I can have these really efficient Panasonics for only 2.68/watt. This however requires me to up my liability insurance to 1mil, which is about 15 dollars/month more. I probably need this insurance anyways just to be safe.

Comment

• Singuy
        • Aug 2017

Anyone know with net metering, can you op NOT to take the payout every year and just let the excess kwh roll over?

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Originally posted by Singuy
          Anyone know with net metering, can you op NOT to take the payout every year and just let the excess kwh roll over?
          It varies with state law and the tariffs that individual POCOs choose to make within those boundaries.
          But I do not know of any POCO that lets you roll over past the 12 month "true up" period.
          There are differences on whether they pay you for the 12 month surplus and what the rate is, or just erase the credit from your account.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• JSchnee21
            Solar Fanatic
            • May 2017

"Anyone know with net metering, can you op NOT to take the payout every year and just let the excess kwh roll over?"
            No. At least I've never heard of a PoCo net metering agreement like this. Annual anniversary dates (in the US) seem to the norm. In Europe and other areas without net metering (aka import and export tariffs, bills are settled monthly).

"I'm looking into getting a bigger system, 13kw now that I can have these really efficient Panasonics for only 2.68/watt. This however requires me to up my liability insurance"
            I assume this is because of your PoCo PTO/net metering agreement and how they "classify" your system as a generator? Be sure crossing this threshold doesn't come with other liabilities as you get close to the realm of a small commercial generation system. Also, you might double check there may be exceptions for residential.

Also, are you sure your AHJ is okay with line-side-tap which will be required for such a large system? Mine was, but some AHJ's -- in California in particular -- seem very much against it. Also, FWIW, if I recall, you were in FL? Here in NJ we've had a very cloudy and rainy Summer, I've been very surprised at how significantly this has impacted the daily production of my system. Just saying, if you get a lot of clouds and rain, especially from 11am-4pm, this could have a big impact on your production as well.

"Also it seems like the people who measures the roof determines what kind of inverter I'll get"
            (-: No, you're the customer, you determine what you want. If they don't want to play ball, then its time to walk. I've never dealt with SC, but from what you describe, it sounds like the 1-800-SC people don't know jack. It sounds like they sub the job out to a local partner (not really SC employees) since they seem to have full authority to design your system as they see fit (hopefully in collaboration with you).

Just watch out that the local sub honors any agreements, in writing, that you made with corporate. During this hand-off is exactly where the local sub can "redesign the whole solution", "find unforeseen issues", and add on a whole bunch of extra stuff corporate overlooked to justify why they cannot honor the $2.68 corporate agreed to.

Comment

• FFE
              Solar Fanatic
              • Oct 2015

I believe a string inverter is far superior to any solution that involves increasing the number of failure points. If the system stops working, someone comes to the house and diagnoses the problem. They come back with a new inverter and problem solved. Nobody goes on the roof and disconnects and reconnects multiple failure points, possibly removes and reinstalles panels, etc. If you have anything other than asphalt shingles then you have to worry about the roof being damaged by the workers.

Many people on this forum push enphase and solar edge systems for a few reasons. They give you really neat monitoring options, they slightly increase the output in shade, they make it easy if your panels point more than 2-3 directions and one other reason in my opinion:
              Companies that install these systems make a better profit at the time of sale and will have a never ending revenue stream. They will be continually getting paid for warranty labor as these seem to fail at the same rate as a string inverter except you have 20-40 of them instead of 1.

Comment

• Singuy
                • Aug 2017

Huh, yeah I'm not sure if solar edge is worth it (if SC decides to charge me more). Either way, system is covered for 20 years...way beyond the inverter's warranty. Pretty surprised SC is willing to go bumper to bumper for that long. Need to read all the fine text before jumping on that train.

Comment

• max2k
                  • May 2015

Huh, yeah I'm not sure if solar edge is worth it (if SC decides to charge me more). Either way, system is covered for 20 years...way beyond the inverter's warranty. Pretty surprised SC is willing to go bumper to bumper for that long.
                  Solar Edge was recommended based on your post #45 where you kind of said you have shading of the type SE is good for. As it seems you moved since then and don't have shading anymore it's your call now.

Need to read all the fine text before jumping on that train.
                  you surely do, we beat this horse to death in this thread. It will be interesting to see what kind of deal SC will send you to sign.

Comment

• Mike7381
                    • Jul 2017

I think your price was high, maybe it is different in Florida than California, I was able to get 2.36 Per watt for newest Canadian Solar 330W panel with 20% efficiently (At least that's what CS is claiming). It also includes the new Solaredge SE5000H inverter with P400 Power Optimizers and a 25 years warranty on all equipment. I think you should get a few more quotes. Also one of my technic on lowering their price is showing them other competitors proposal. Of course you will need to do more research on which product is better so they can't trick you saying their product is better. One of my other quotes was even lower than 2.35 per watt, I think it came out to be 2.2 per watt, but their company are only 3 yrs old compare to a company that are over 10 years old with both B and C license. So it is better to do more research about the products. In addition, find out ways to lower your consumption. For example, I just installed 2 mini split ac system that are going to replace my central AC today. I immediately take out nearly 500 KWH per month during summer for only $1500. With about 5 months of summer here in California. I will need to spend about 3 times that money for solar in order to generate about 2500 KWH per yrs. It will be more if financing is needed. So just as JPM said, do your research first and get more quotes before you committing to solar.

Comment

• Singuy
                      • Aug 2017

Originally posted by max2k

Solar Edge was recommended based on your post #45 where you kind of said you have shading of the type SE is good for. As it seems you moved since then and don't have shading anymore it's your call now.

you surely do, we beat this horse to death in this thread. It will be interesting to see what kind of deal SC will send you to sign.
                      Does clouds consider as shades? I have a few pipes that may cast a shadow but that's about it. The rest of the roof is pretty free from any obstruction. IF SC charges me more for Solar Edge then it's probably not worth the upgrade. You pretty much convinced me to spend as less as I can since payback takes forever.

The 2.36/watt is based on pre or post tax credit?
                      Got 5 total quotes. 1 wouldn't do monocrystallines, 2 of the quotes are way beyond 3 dollars/watt, 1 quote at 2.68/watt gives me 1 year of warranty, and now SC is willing to match my lowest quote but gives me more warranty and better panels.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Mike7381
                        I think your price was high, maybe it is different in Florida than California, I was able to get 2.36 Per watt for newest Canadian Solar 330W panel with 20% efficiently (At least that's what CS is claiming).
                        What Canadian solar modules are you getting? the P400 indicates a 72 cell. and CS makes a 72 cell at 330W, the CS6U-330M but it is NOT 20% efficient. It is 16.97% efficient.

OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Mike7381
                          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by ButchDeal

What Canadian solar modules are you getting? the P400 indicates a 72 cell. and CS makes a 72 cell at 330W, the CS6U-330M but it is NOT 20% efficient. It is 16.97% efficient.

It states up to 20% efficiently on CS's Brochure. I will pull that up tonight and show it to you. Yeah this is the modules they proposed to me or I can switch to Panasonic 330W black modules for $105 more per panel.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Apr 2014

It states up to 20% efficiently on CS's Brochure. I will pull that up tonight and show it to you. Yeah this is the modules they proposed to me or I can switch to Panasonic 330W black modules for $105 more per panel.

well if you are happy with the production then it is fine but I don't think that CS has a 20% efficient offering. They have some brochures with over 20% more production but that is NOT 20% efficient.

They only have a few that are 330w and they all seem to be 72cell.

Dr. Shawn Qu, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer founded Canadian Solar (NASDAQ: CSIQ) in 2001 in Canada, with a bold mission: to foster sustainable development and to create a better and cleaner earth for future generations by bringing electricity powered by the sun to millions of people worldwide. Under Dr. Qu’s leadership, we have grown into one of the world’s largest solar photovoltaic products and energy solutions providers, as well as one of the largest solar power plant developers globally.
                            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

Read carefully, read it again, think cynically like the vendor, and don't believe everything you read.

Comment

• Singuy
                                • Aug 2017

Got my 6th and final quote. 3.25/watt for polys and solar edge. I mentioned that I can get monos for 2.68/watt and they said best they can do is 2.86/watt for polys (and change out the inverter to something inferior). Looks like SC is my first choice since they have the most robust warranty, best panels, and cheapest price.

Comment

Working...