X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cebury
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2011

I think you are about as informed as you want to be, or as willing to put in the additionsl effort for, at this point. Make your decision, your eyes are open, you know the risks for various options. Its always a dice roll. Make sure that contract is solid and reflects the verbal statements and has the model numbers of equipment and make sure you are there when it is installed and when the inspector does his work. Maybe he will be friendly enough to allow you to ask a few questions about the install and discretely ask about the quality SC work in your area. Good luck!

Comment

• Singuy
      • Aug 2017

What are your thoughts on solar edge's performance when it comes to cloud shading vs string inverters without optimizers? Does it give any additional benefits? One of the sales rep is telling me it performs better during a cloudy day and I'm thinking this is BS.

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Singuy
        What are your thoughts on solar edge's performance when it comes to cloud shading vs string inverters without optimizers? Does it give any additional benefits? One of the sales rep is telling me it performs better during a cloudy day and I'm thinking this is BS.
        I don't think there is much doubt that on a partly cloudy day, giving each panel its own mppt will result in more raw output. Conversion efficiency matters too, but if we take as given that there is no difference between systems in that respect, the real question is whether or not the (small but measurable) increased output is enough to justify the additional complexity of the system (and the failure risks that follow). I don't think you'll find an objective answer to that question, so it really comes down to risk tolerance and preference of the homeowner / installer.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• JSchnee21
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2017

I don't have a string inverter based system to compare to, but my Solar Edge system (which I really like) seems to perform very (likely equally) poorly in cloudy days. When a cloud is in front of the sun, unless it's a small cloud, it tends to block the light to my entire array. Our July and August in NJ has been unusually cloudy/rainy and I can get anywhere near as many KWH as I did the last couple days of June

Comment

• max2k
            • May 2015

Originally posted by JSchnee21
            I don't have a string inverter based system to compare to, but my Solar Edge system (which I really like) seems to perform very (likely equally) poorly in cloudy days. When a cloud is in front of the sun, unless it's a small cloud, it tends to block the light to my entire array. Our July and August in NJ has been unusually cloudy/rainy and I can get anywhere near as many KWH as I did the last couple days of June
            Size of the cloud shadow on the ground/array is pretty much equal to size of the cloud so it needs to be really small cloud to cause partial shading. There's corner case when big cloud moves over half of array and stops there but that would look more like personal revenge .

Comment

• AzRoute66
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2017

Yes, I think the optimizers won't help much for clouds, but if you have a tree branch or power pole or in my case it would be a ridiculously large chimney marching across the array there is likely some nice benefit there.

Comment

• bcroe
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by JSchnee21
                One advantage to a string system (over micros), is you can add panels to boost performance under clouds
                if they bother you a lot. How frustrated are you; that is what is giving decent cloudy output here? Others
                don't approve, your call. Of course added panels would overload the plant if pointed south under good sun,
                so they should be oriented some other direction for benefit then. Bruce Roe

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by sensij

I don't think there is much doubt that on a partly cloudy day, giving each panel its own mppt will result in more raw output. Conversion efficiency matters too, but if we take as given that there is no difference between systems in that respect, the real question is whether or not the (small but measurable) increased output is enough to justify the additional complexity of the system (and the failure risks that follow). I don't think you'll find an objective answer to that question, so it really comes down to risk tolerance and preference of the homeowner / installer.
                  IMO, there's ,not much doubt in my mind that optimizers will neither improve or impair performance of an array as f(cloudiness).

Perhaps the OP confused what the rep was referring to, or the rep is B.S.ing.

Bottom line for me, FWIW, no/little shade = string inverter.

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

I've oversized my array to help with harvest in winter, when it's cloudy for weeks at a time. Under cloud cover I get 10% or even less, of my array output.

If the photons are not there, optimizer or MPPT cannot help.
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Singuy
                      • Aug 2017

Ah, so the rep is indeed BSing. Can't trust any of these installers..everyone has their own little lie.

I told the rep SolarCity most likely will give me the regular string inverters and not solar edge with optimizers due to the fact that I have very little shading..and the rep said "but clouds, we get clouds, that's a shade". I didn't think any optimizers would help with that.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Ah, so the rep is indeed BSing. Can't trust any of these installers..everyone has their own little lie.

I told the rep SolarCity most likely will give me the regular string inverters and not solar edge with optimizers due to the fact that I have very little shading..and the rep said "but clouds, we get clouds, that's a shade". I didn't think any optimizers would help with that.
                        If you're still talking to SolarCity, you still have my condolences.

Comment

• Singuy
                          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by J.P.M.

If you're still talking to SolarCity, you still have my condolences.
                          You want to come and install the panels for me? I can't find anyone better than Solar City here because the above BS are what is coming out from local installers....how monocrystallines will break in FL and Solar edge inverters will give me 30% more power when it's cloudy vs standard inverters. The best local installer I have found only has 6 reviews, been established for 2 years, and only provides me with a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty.

So your condolences isn't doing a thing for me unless I contract you to install the panels for me.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

You want to come and install the panels for me? I can't find anyone better than Solar City here because the above BS are what is coming out from local installers....how monocrystallines will break in FL and Solar edge inverters will give me 30% more power when it's cloudy vs standard inverters.

So your condolences isn't doing a thing for me unless I contract you to install the panels for me.
                            My condolences are not meant to help your solar ignorance. The best thing you can do for yourself is get informed. FWIW, I'm not an installer and I don't have that skill set, but I probably forgot more about solar energy than you'll know for quite some time, and my experience watching how SolarCity screws up jobs and people is perhaps somewhat unique. as for my possible aid, prior to retirement 15 years ago, my consulting fees as a P.E. were ~ $150 /hr. Your self education will probably cost less than that.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

• Singuy
                              • Aug 2017

Originally posted by J.P.M.

My condolences are not meant to help your solar ignorance. The best thing you can do for yourself is get informed. FWIW, I'm not an installer and I don't have that skill set, but I probably forgot more about solar energy than you'll know for quite some time, and my experience watching how SolarCity screws up jobs and people is perhaps somewhat unique. as for my possible aid, prior to retirement 15 years ago, my consulting fees as a P.E. were ~ $150 /hr. Your self education will probably cost less than that.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.
                              Can you please explain more about how they "screwed up jobs and people in a unique way"? Most of their negative reviews are about their loans and leases...a lot of negative reviews on liens on the house, hard to get out of their loans, and their autopay system being atrocious. I am paying cash so all that other stuff is not my concern. I am more interested in what ways they have completely screw up installs and not providing the warranties they promised. I'm not in construction so I don't know a thing about it. I have seen the panels installed by solar city at my neighbors' house and they look fine and he hasn't complained about leaky roofs, under production, or electronic problems. Everyone in my neighborhood are ecstatic about their Solar City job and customer service..so if you think they are all sheeps..please explain away so I can be on the look out.

Comment

• cebury
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Sep 2011

That wasn't what he said, but he can certainly defend himself lol. Have you searched this forum yet for Solar City?

Comment

Working...