X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by donald
    I used to participate on The Oil Drum as a skeptic. Not that I don't believe peak oil will some day be an historical fact. Just that the Peakers vastly underestimated the ability to change. And that the drama the Peakers sincerely expected was unlikely.

It's ironic that the members of the big oil clan have the same lack of understanding. Or perhaps it is not ironic, but simply an aspect of human nature to ignore the obvious when invested in a contrary approach.

The developed world is switching to a mostly renewable energy infrastructure. It will work fine, and will be affordable. And best of all, it will not include flooded lead acid batteries! That's the part I'm most excited about.
    Some are of the opinion that, like most things in life, it's all about the manipulation of perception by all sides of the energy issue. It's all B.S. and comes down to which version of the B.S smells the best to you, or me, or anyone as to which version we swallow.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by donald
      I used to participate on The Oil Drum as a skeptic. Not that I don't believe peak oil will some day be an historical fact. Just that the Peakers vastly underestimated the ability to change. And that the drama the Peakers sincerely expected was unlikely.

It's ironic that the members of the big oil clan have the same lack of understanding. Or perhaps it is not ironic, but simply an aspect of human nature to ignore the obvious when invested in a contrary approach.

The developed world is switching to a mostly renewable energy infrastructure. It will work fine, and will be affordable. And best of all, it will not include flooded lead acid batteries! That's the part I'm most excited about.
      What you will find out is that in most of the developed world is not wholesale switching to RE and the % that they are installing is small as compared to other types electrical generation.

In countries that are not as developed (little to no power transmission lines) that usually have electrical generation using diesel gen sets, might start to install RE system under the impression they will be cheaper but more than likely the poor areas will continue to be without power and the rich areas will be spending as much to maintain their RE generation/storage systems as they did burning diesel.

I am not and never will be a member of the "oil clan". I have been an electrical engineer for over 40 years and understand a little more of how power is generated and moved around the country.

RE is a form of electric generation and IMO needs to be part of the overall portfolio for this country and others.

But due to the physics of how RE works (or doesn't) it will never be more than a small percentage of all power generation until people learn to reduce the amount they use during a 24/7 operation. People don't like being in the dark and if they rely totally on RE they will be. That is why we have fossil fuel generation and Peakers to keep the lights on and the AC running. Learn to live without those luxuries and maybe RE will work.

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by SunEagle
        In countries that are not as developed (little to no power transmission lines) that usually have electrical generation using diesel gen sets, might start to install RE system under the impression they will be cheaper but more than likely the poor areas will continue to be without power and the rich areas will be spending as much to maintain their RE generation/storage systems as they did burning diesel. That has worked for telecoms - electricity it is a bs dream

RE is a form of electric generation and IMO needs to be part of the overall portfolio for this country and others. It very much is where it works and is cost effective - hydro for example

Learn to live without those luxuries and maybe RE will work.

What a terrible thing to throw at the green bunch - they mean for others to cut back so they don't have to.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• araghava
          • Sep 2014

One the things mentioned in the press briefings is that this battery pack makes a perfect match for solar panel owners. This part i don't understand. If you own solar panels and you're on a TOU plan you want to sell your excess electricity back to utility rather than store it in the battery.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by araghava
            One the things mentioned in the press briefings is that this battery pack makes a perfect match for solar panel owners. This part i don't understand. If you own solar panels and you're on a TOU plan you want to sell your excess electricity back to utility rather than store it in the battery.
            Strictly a California insanity market.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• azdave
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by russ
              That was 3$ worth of BS in a 2$ bag!
              BS overfow is more acurately measured as a liquid so you should have said "That's 5 gallons of BS in a one gallon jug".
              Dave W. Gilbert AZ
              6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Working...