X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by gvl
    Current SoCal Edison TOU-D-A super off-peak vs. on-peak differential is $0.35, so using your example it is about $6,400 over 10 years if you charge at it night, so it can be made to look more attractive to some potential buyers...

CORRECTION: $0.35 is summer only, $0.25 for winter, so overall less than I stated above
    The utilities are so stupid they haven't thought of this? Nope - if it is real (questionable today) it is a far bigger thing for them than any home owner. They can buy wholesale power from the hydros in Oregon/Washington for not much at night - maybe 30$ per mW and sell it as peak power for several hundred per mW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by gvl
      Current SoCal Edison TOU-D-A super off-peak vs. on-peak differential is $0.35, so using your example it is about $6,400 over 10 years if you charge at it night, so it can be made to look more attractive to some potential buyers...

CORRECTION: $0.35 is summer only, $0.25 for winter, so overall less than I stated above
      I am sure there are some areas of the US that using battery power during the higher Tier times may make it worth while. Problem is setting up the "switching" system to go between grid and battery at the correct times. Could get complicated if someone in the household didn't follow the "energy usage plan".

Comment

• donald
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
        I am sure there are some areas of the US that using battery power during the higher Tier times may make it worth while. Problem is setting up the "switching" system to go between grid and battery at the correct times. Could get complicated if someone in the household didn't follow the "energy usage plan".
        There's undoubtedly a software piece to the Tesla system we haven't seen yet. I'm sure there is an embedded linux system in that box that can be wifi or cell connected.

But if a solar home is using most of what is generated during the day, a battery will never make much sense. I'm sure the percent of residential solar generated that goes to the grid is well know.

Comment

• pleppik
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by russ
          The utilities are so stupid they haven't thought of this? Nope - if it is real (questionable today) it is a far bigger thing for them than any home owner. They can buy wholesale power from the hydros in Oregon/Washington for not much at night - maybe 30$ per mW and sell it as peak power for several hundred per mW.
          Tesla also announced utility-scale battery systems, so yes, apparently someone did think of this.

They didn't give pricing for the utility systems, but it's probably safe to assume that the price per KW for utilities is lower than the $300/KW they're charging for the residential systems.

At $300/KW for utility-scale batteries, there's studies for California and Texas that show batteries are a cheaper alternative to building gas-fired peakers.
          16x TenK 410W modules + 14x TenK 500W inverters

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by donald
            There's undoubtedly a software piece to the Tesla system we haven't seen yet. I'm sure there is an embedded linux system in that box that can be wifi or cell connected.

But if a solar home is using most of what is generated during the day, a battery will never make much sense. I'm sure the percent of residential solar generated that goes to the grid is well know.
            On what do you base your certainty ?

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by J.P.M.
              BS and blather
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• hub
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by SleepingDragon
                Truth be told... I'm actually awaiting for more news of Enphase's battery system. Last I heard was that it was going to be modular and expandable. Unless the pricing of the batteries are going to be cheap and I can figure out how to add more panels to justified going off grid, I don't see myself using batteries that soon.
                I like what they unveiled. The fact that its modular, scalable to 50KwH/rack, w/10 year warranty I don't see anything better out there this year.

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by hub
                  I like what they unveiled. The fact that its modular, scalable to 50KwH/rack, w/10 year warranty I don't see anything better out there this year.
                  It is not out there and there are better already out there.
                  Last edited by Mike90250; 05-01-2015, 07:31 PM. Reason: deleted off topic snipe
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• donald
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                    Well, that electricity is metered. The 7kwh system is based on the buyers ROI. Their sales projection would be partly derived from estimating the size of this group. Anyone with a solid net metering contract is not part of this group.

I'm thinking 7kwh is the actual system capacity. I'm thinking the 7 and 10 systems have the same amount of internal storage. They only gave one weight - 100kg.

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

I'm thinking 7kwh is the actual system capacity. They only gave one weight - 100kg.
                      So what does that mean Donald. I bet you have no clue. I give you a hint. It is not good.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• donald
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
                        So what does that mean Donald. I bet you have no clue. I give you a hint. It is not good.
                        Which part?
                        The 100 kg means the marketing people wanted a weight, and the engineers said we don't have one because it is not finished. So they gave a max estimated weight and rounded to a nice even number.

The same internal capacity means that it is a 10-12kwh system if we were to add up the actual cells. If 7 and 10 were 100% DOD figures, we would see two pack weights.

It's all good, because unlike you, Tesla has actual years of experience building these types of battery systems.

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

Which part?
                          The 100 kg means the marketing people wanted a weight, and the engineers said we don't have one because it is not finished. So they gave a max estimated weight and rounded to a nice even number.

The same internal capacity means that it is a 10-12kwh system if we were to add up the actual cells. If 7 and 10 were 100% DOD figures, we would see two pack weights.

It's all good, because unlike you, Tesla has actual years of experience building these types of battery systems.
                          I told you did't have a clue. It means 70 wh/Kg. Even a cheap Chi-Com LiFePo4 has 100 wh/Kg density. It means they are using a very cheap battery with low energy density. The EV batteries run 200 to 240 wh/Kg. Top of the line Pb batteries get 70 wh/Kg.

Tesla does not publish what part of that 7 Kwh is usable. Only meaningful spec they have and it is very poor for a Lithium battery is specific energy is very low of C/3 or 2 Kw continuous, and 3 Kw burst aka C/2. All Lithium batteries I know of can discharge at rates in excess of 1C continuous. They published just enough info to be very suspicious if you know what to look for and you have no idea what to look for.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• donald
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2015

As I said, if the two models weigh the same, all of the 7kwh is likely usable and the it is not a 7kwh "battery". It a battery system rated to provide 7kwh daily.

You keep talking like the Tesla product is a battery. It is not. It's a battery system. A BMS, cooling system, and probably a charge controller. Plus some sort of regulation on the output side. Does it have a fan? Heat sinks? You criticize conjecture, and now your guessing at what percent of the weight is battery. If not necessarily a negative if they have formulated a lower density battery compared to their EV product.

If the warranty matches the specs, it doesn't matter if the box contains cat piss and oregano.

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

As I said, if the two models weigh the same, all of the 7kwh is likely usable and the it is not a 7kwh "battery". It a battery system rated to provide 7kwh daily.

You keep talking like the Tesla product is a battery. It is not. It's a battery system. A BMS, cooling system, and probably a charge controller. Plus some sort of regulation on the output side. Does it have a fan? Heat sinks? You criticize conjecture, and now your guessing at what percent of the weight is battery. If not necessarily a negative if they have formulated a lower density battery compared to their EV product.

If the warranty matches the specs, it doesn't matter if the box contains cat piss and oregano.
                              Actually, the Warranty has fine print, and in the fine print, is the Givith and Takeith away parts. It likely has a data logger too, since it's got to have thermal management smarts. And somewhere is a DC-Dc converter, does it manage the 400VDC pack voltage to 50V for off grid or what. But it's the data logging that will get 'ya, because it will count the 100%-0% excursions and the ones in-between, and they will get you for the pro-rating and service call labor. (well, that's the way everyone else does warranty).
                              Even 10Kw is barely enough for a very small, efficient off grid house, I generally burn 7Kwh in the winter and 12Kwh (adding the water pumps) in the summer. So the 10Kw may just hold me overnight, but when Joe suburb homeowner has a grid failure and his air conditioned spa shuts off 3 hours later, he's not going to be happy with his Tesla battery.

Last edited by Mike90250; 05-01-2015, 07:32 PM.
                              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• rwb1921
                                • Apr 2015

Everyone is missing the most important part of the battery system information:

"The key thing for the Powerwall on the consumer side is it’s beautiful, it fits on the wall, you can put it on the outside wall of your house," Musk told journalists. "It's only about 6 inches thick and a few feet across and a few feet tall."

That sells it without all the unnecessary technical specs, who needs them

My son was texting me last night saying are you getting one.......................

Comment

Working...