X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alisobob
    Banned
    • Sep 2014

Well... I have two months of "Domestic" rate billing under my belt... and for next months (March) billing period I will be on "TOU-DT".

I've read the pro's / con's.... ups and downs.... its all too confusing for me.

I'll let you know my real life experiences.

The SCE rep feels it will benefit me.

Who knows!!

I'll keep you all informed.

My basic parameters... Solar replaced 100% of prior use.... no EV... No heavy electrical demands before 6pm on weekdays.

Comment

• OftheSeven
      • Jan 2015

Nice.

Ugh, waiting for the roofing estimates is killing me...especially on these nice sunny days.

Bob, since you only replaced the south facing roof areas did you notice color/material differences in the old and new roof areas?

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Alisobob
        Well... I have two months of "Domestic" rate billing under my belt... and for next months (March) billing period I will be on "TOU-DT".

I've read the pro's / con's.... ups and downs.... its all too confusing for me.

I'll let you know my real life experiences.

The SCE rep feels it will benefit me.

Who knows!!

I'll keep you all informed.

My basic parameters... Solar replaced 100% of prior use.... no EV... No heavy electrical demands before 6pm on weekdays.
        T.O.U. may benefit you, especially if your peak loads are low (and stay that way). I'd only suggest remembering that every situation is different for many reasons, known and unknown, and also that T.O.U. schedules will probably change more easily and more quickly than rates, particularly as POCO loading as f(time) changes as more users opt for T.O.U. and other reasons. If/when you report favorable bill reductions relative to prior use, that's great. However, that may lead someone less sophisticated than you about rates and usage to incorrect, or less than optimal conclusions.

Just a thought.

Comment

• Alisobob
          Banned
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
          However, that may lead someone less sophisticated than you about rates and usage to incorrect, or less than optimal conclusions.

Just a thought.

Oh... believe me JPM...I'm about as un-sophisticated as they come , concerning rates.

Thats why I'm throwing the dice on this, and will report the outcome.

SCE said I can change back to "Domestic" at any time, no charge, if it doesnt work out.

Comment

• Alisobob
            Banned
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by OftheSeven
            Bob, since you only replaced the south facing roof areas did you notice color/material differences in the old and new roof areas?
            I have concrete roof tiles. They took them off, replaced all the paper underneath, and a few flashings... then put it all back.

It looks the same.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Oh... believe me JPM...I'm about as un-sophisticated as they come , concerning rates.

SCE said I can change back to "Domestic" at any time, no charge, if it doesnt work out.
              I don't mean this as damning with faint praise but compared to a lot of people I speak with face to face, you are sophisticated, believe me.

Be careful on changing back. SCE may limit you to one change, or limit how often you can flop between tariffs. Check the tariff rules and fine print. What you are told verbally is worth no more than the paper it's written on.

Comment

• Alisobob
                Banned
                • Sep 2014

They said .."You can switch back... any time. Then, you must wait 12 months before switching again."

Comment

• silversaver
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2013

They said .."You can switch back... any time. Then, you must wait 12 months before switching again."
                  I just recently switch from standard Domestic to TOU-D-A. I received the same info from SCE Net Metering department. I can try it for few months, if I don't like it I can switch back when ever. BUT, if I do switch back, then I have to wait 12 months before I can do any changes again.

Bob, you will love the TOU-D-A screen with all the detail on hourly interval. You can get total, peak, off peak and super off peak total usage.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• silversaver
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                    I don't mean this as damning with faint praise but compared to a lot of people I speak with face to face, you are sophisticated, believe me.

Be careful on changing back. SCE may limit you to one change, or limit how often you can flop between tariffs. Check the tariff rules and fine print. What you are told verbally is worth no more than the paper it's written on.
                    The info is online too as well. You can move to other plan anytime, but after that you are limited to 12 months. Depends on who you talk with on the phone, some are more useful than others...... If the person you talk with isn't helpful, hang up and call again later and you might be surprise.... My friend change his plan 3 times last year...... he has little 4.5kW system and he is trying hard to make his solar 100% eff. errr.... he had to pay SCE $500 at trueup and he is crying not having a larger system.... too bad on his SP lease system.

Comment

• Alisobob
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2014

SCE TOU.jpg

Thats Bad A$$.... love the color coding!

I hope to report good news next month!!

Comment

• Alisobob
                        Banned
                        • Sep 2014

solar norm.JPG

This is me, on a normal day.... wife cooking dinner, TV on... kids home. Just a few KWH's over production

This is the majority of the month.

This is me on a good day... I'm reading a book, Wife is at Volleyball with the daughter, Son is at Baseball.... House is pretty quiet.

solar good.JPG

Overproduced a bunch. This is like 5 days a month or so.

The rest of the days about break even.

It will be interesting to see how the TOU-DT fits into this ...

Comment

• Alisobob
                          Banned
                          • Sep 2014

peak 3.JPG

This is how my chart would look, adjusted for TOU-DT. Peak rate is from Noon till' 6pm every weekday, excluding holidays. Weekends are all off peak.

As we get farther into spring, my generation time will move later into the day, past the 6pm cut off.

We'll see how it works out!!

Comment

• Alisobob
                            Banned
                            • Sep 2014

solar57.JPG

Wow... just a few weeks ago I broke the 30 KWh barrier... today, I almost broke 40 KWh's.

The sun is rising.... quickly!!

Comment

• HX_Guy
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Apr 2014

I dig it!

Comment

• J.P.M.
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Aug 2013

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5988[/ATTACH]

Wow... just a few weeks ago I broke the 30 KWh barrier... today, I almost broke 40 KWh's.

The sun is rising.... quickly!!
                                After watching your array output compared to mine since you went live, I'll go WAY out on a limb and SWAG your best day will be sometime shortly before June Gloom and be something like 44 to 46 kWh max. on your best day.

FWIW, your system size is about 1.25 times mine and your output, as you are reporting it, is pretty consistently about 1.25 times mine - mine being a Sunpower system. My best day so far being 35.50 kWh

More FWIW: today's output at my house in 92026 came in at 31.07 kWh on a 5.232 kW system.

More anecdotal support that one system is pretty much the same as the next, pretty much regardless of up front price or panel mfg.

Perhaps my memory is faulty, but if you go back over your prior posts, I think you'll find I was one of the early voices dissuading you on Sunpower. I believe you came around after some initial healthy skepticism.

Comment

Working...