Clear All

• DanKegel
    replied
    Victory!

Leave a comment:

• Burningislove
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike90250
    Turn up the heat in the other part of the house (the part with the insulated ceiling) ?

Are the 2 arrays on 2 inverters ? Maybe 1 inverter shut down and is not working ?
    Both sides have very good, modern insulation in the attic floors (ceiling of the livable house). So cranking up the heat wouldnt do much as it wouldnt reach the attic. The house is already quite warm due to the wood stove that heats the whole house, including keeping the hobby room above the garage at a comfy 60 degrees in the winter.

The two arrays are fed into a common inverter (Solar Edge), but are run separately and then joined in the inverter box. It's been producing some power, but of course not that much given it's winter and one half of the array is covered with snow.

I took the advice and used a snow rake to carefully remove the snow dam from the edge of the roof up to about a foot away from the lowest panels. It seemed to work well as there was just an avalanche and the covered array is now about 50% clear and the rest should fall off in today's warm, overcast weather and tomorrow sunny, colder weather.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    Turn up the heat in the other part of the house (the part with the insulated ceiling) ?

Are the 2 arrays on 2 inverters ? Maybe 1 inverter shut down and is not working ?

Leave a comment:

• Burningislove
    replied
    Originally posted by bcroe

Do you have pictures? The installer leaves experience to show all that can go wrong. My feeling is that with limited
    options, a roof mount system is pretty much SOL in snow.
    Yes, see attached. Also started a new thread to not (further) distract this one that has more details on the system, roof, house, etc.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by Burningislove

Any recommendations for when it DOESNT naturally slide off? My installer said the same thing, not to worry about it and that gravity will take care of this as my roof is well pitched. Reality is that half of my array cleaned itself, the other is completely covered in snow and has a huge snow/ice dam at the bottom that will prevent anything from sliding off. Both halves of my total array are identical and face the same direction with same roof pitch. Unclear why one side is fine, the other is a disaster.

Looking for ideas how to fix this mess. It's a colonial house so the roof is high up and I can't get a ladder up there this time of year with all the snow. Hesitant to use a roof rake for fear of damaging the panels.
    Do you have pictures? The installer leaves experience to show all that can go wrong. My feeling is that with limited
    options, a roof mount system is pretty much SOL in snow. If panels are 2 high, the snow will have to slide twice as
    far to clear; unless there is a big gap between upper & lower panels. Even a ground mount can have problems with
    snow build up at the bottom. Here a 2' gap between panels and the ground is marginal; 3' would not build up to
    obstructing sun so fast. Guess that could be done on a roof; haven't seen it yet.

Assuming the snow has a place to go, there will be motorized vibrators attempting to shake it off on the next round.
    Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by Burningislove

Any recommendations for when it DOESNT naturally slide off? My installer said the same thing, not to worry about it and that gravity will take care of this as my roof is well pitched. Reality is that half of my array cleaned itself, the other is completely covered in snow and has a huge snow/ice dam at the bottom that will prevent anything from sliding off. Both halves of my total array are identical and face the same direction with same roof pitch. Unclear why one side is fine, the other is a disaster.

Looking for ideas how to fix this mess. It's a colonial house so the roof is high up and I can't get a ladder up there this time of year with all the snow. Hesitant to use a roof rake for fear of damaging the panels.
    To be clear, I never wrote, and do not mean to suggest not being aware of possible dangers.

Might be that wind patterns are slightly different and there is some drift buildup on the covered array that doesn't manifest itself under prevailing wind patterns. Might be that the clear portions of the array run warmer than the other portions and melt snow quicker, and run warm enough to refreeze the melt and disallow ice damming. Might be a different response to variable freeze/thaw cycles. When it comes to weather, you can pretty much bet that whatever happens will be the result of several things and may or may not happen the same way every time.

Leave a comment:

• Burningislove
    replied
    Originally posted by J.P.M.

Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends. sometimes snow will slide of, sometimes not. Beware of snow slides.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Looks like dreary Dec is past, getting more more sunny days where production reaches half the summer peak.
    1/2" snow came at night; I looked at the gloom and said "is it worth cleaning them?". A little later though the sun
    started showing, so I went out and cleaned them up. The inverters immediately showed 12 KW. Once the sun
    cleared all shading, they maxed out at 15KW whenever no cloud was blocking. Its often too cold for the heat
    pump, but I'm trying to keep enough resistance heat on so that the furnace doesn't run. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    It was a little late, but eventually the sun come out on one of the shortest days of the year and made me 70 KWH. Bruce Roe
    Every little bit helps. I hope you don't get as much bad weather as you did last winter.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    It was a little late, but eventually the sun come out on one of the shortest days of the year and made me 70 KWH. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by mapmaker

It is standard procedure in snow country to put panels in landscape orientation, but not for the reason you mention. Within most solar panels are several strings of cells in parallel. The strings run vertically if the panel is in portrait orientation and horizontally if the panel is in landscape orientation.

Snow slides down the panel and gets caught up on the lower frame of the panel. In portrait orientation, the snow blocks the lower part of each string of cells within the panel (no power). In landscape orientation, the snow entirely blocks just one string of cells and leaves the other parallel strings clear to make power.
    --mapmaker
    My installer didn't seem to be aware of this "snow country" practice; in fact I haven't noticed ANY panels
    mounted landscape here. Maybe that will change. If I lost the bottom row of cells in many panels, I think
    the whole string would drop out. It would be dominated by the parallel strings with no blockage, at full voltage.
    Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• mapmaker
    replied
    If I build any more platforms, panels will be landscape (to reduce the distance for snow to slide off). I am wondering, why no one ahead of me has made such a suggestion?
    It is standard procedure in snow country to put panels in landscape orientation, but not for the reason you mention. Within most solar panels are several strings of cells in parallel. The strings run vertically if the panel is in portrait orientation and horizontally if the panel is in landscape orientation.

Snow slides down the panel and gets caught up on the lower frame of the panel. In portrait orientation, the snow blocks the lower part of each string of cells within the panel (no power). In landscape orientation, the snow entirely blocks just one string of cells and leaves the other parallel strings clear to make power.

Also popular in snow country are black-framed panels... they accumulate less snow than white or aluminum frames.

--mapmaker

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    My generation isn't much different this year. But the heat pump has helped reduce use in the fall. Now we
    have had such warm weather (that means well above freezing in NW IL), energy use for warming the house
    (to 74 deg) has been way down. At this rate my 2015/16 KWH reserve is way above previous. More like
    12,600 KWH instead of 7000 last year. Perhaps I'll turn up the temp in the shop to use some up. Bruce Roe
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Pv snow gap
    Today was the setup for another snow experiment. I have panels 2 high, meaning snow must
    slide a long way to be cleared off 2 panels, and the pile of snow gets pretty big while clearing and
    at the bottom. On one support of 6 panels I moved the upper panels 4" higher and the lower panels
    2" lower for a 6" gap between them. Snow will only need to slide half as far, in half the quantity
    before falling through the gap.

On the next support of 6 panels, I just moved the upper for a gap of 4". This winter will be the
    test: does the gap work and how big should it be? Did it in the afternoon, had just enough sun
    time left to make sure all were still working properly. Bruce Roe
    3 days ago we had a snow & sleet storm with a few inches of stuff. Its been too cold since to
    remove the ice frozen on, but I went out to see what happened without my intervention. Groups
    of 6 panels (2 portrait high) had snow slide down over 2 panels so that the upper panels were
    60% covered and the lower panels were 100% covered. The lower panels were COMPLETELY
    CLEAR where there was a gap. The upper panels had snow slide down into the gap. The upper
    panels were about 40% snow covered above a 4" gap, and 25% covered above the 6" gap.

Results of manual snow clearing were good, but self cleaning were even better. By a year from
    now, there will be a 6" gap for all 12 platforms. If I build any more platforms, panels will be landscape
    (to reduce the distance for snow to slide off). I am wondering, why no one ahead of me has made
    such a suggestion? I expect this won't work on a roof mount, as the gap would fill up instead of
    dropping to the ground.

Next time we see the sun and above freezing temps, will see about getting the rest of the snow
    off my south facing panels. Despite the gloom, my snow free near vertical east-west facing panels
    managed to eek out 17KWH. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• inetdog
    replied
    Thanks, I have no idea how to find that thread, or if I even saw it. Pictures on old posts seem intact. When I try
    CAMERA, SELECT FROM PHOTO ALBUMS, get message
    Error: You have no uploaded photos or albums to choose from
    Bruce Roe
    I think that there were some subtle changes in the database that kept some features from coming over. There is an Album feature that does not appear to be working, and downloading new images is intermittent.

Try posting comments and bugs in this thead: https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...lar-panel-talk
    Last edited by inetdog; 12-03-2015, 07:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...