X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inetdog
    replied
    Originally posted by bcroe
    That is interesting. My post is missing, but SOMEBODY else quoted part of it, commented
    on it, and its all credited to me. Bruce Roe
    Mea Culpa. I hit the wrong button when trying to comment/reply.
    Not sure how to fix it up again, but I will try.

OK, I think it is all better now.
    Sorry about that....
    Last edited by inetdog; 03-05-2014, 12:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    quote who?

That is interesting. My post is missing, but SOMEBODY else quoted part of it, commented
    on it, and its all credited to me. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by PNjunction
    Instead of a tracker, just use more panels to take advantage of the prime solar-insolation hours you do have. Off-prime hours when the sun is low during the early morning and late afternoon are weak, so that's why it may seem incredible in places where there are 8 hours of daylight, that according to calculations only has 2 hours of *quality* usable sunlight power.

Increasing your stationary panel wattage would probably be cheaper and easier to implement.
    Yes it only took me 5 months to increase panels that way. Here in northern IL, with snow and E-W panels, Monday production calculated out to 7.8 equivalent sun hours (117 KWH). Solving the snow issues may take years, but getting all panels near vertical should help.
    Bruce Roe
    Last edited by inetdog; 03-05-2014, 12:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• inetdog
    replied
    Originally posted by PNjunction
    I
    Increasing your stationary panel wattage would probably be cheaper and easier to implement.
    Except for the part about getting the snow off....

Leave a comment:

• PNjunction
    replied
    Instead of a tracker, just use more panels to take advantage of the prime solar-insolation hours you do have. Off-prime hours when the sun is low during the early morning and late afternoon are weak, so that's why it may seem incredible in places where there are 8 hours of daylight, that according to calculations only has 2 hours of *quality* usable sunlight power.

Leave a comment:

• Naptown
    replied

Is that for tracking, or for vertical angle, or for anything past vertical? Here nothing is under warrantee
    for very long, interferes with activities. Bruce Roe
    If it exposes the back to the sky going beyond vertical would do that.

Leave a comment:

• russ
    replied
    Here nothing is under warrantee for very long, interferes with activities. Bruce Roe
    I like that!

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Panel angle

Originally posted by FUN4ME
    I don't think you would need to turn the panel upside down if you
    had 2 primary tilts both of them say 20deg off of vertical one to the east and one to the
    west, how much snow could accumulate while chancing positions?
    also i wasn't suggesting that you change your whole array, just the panels you were
    planning on adding. good luck
    Even my near vertical panels pick up some snow, though much easier to clear than the others. Thinking
    that tilted a bit more to just past vertical ought to be enough to keep them clear. I suspect once the snow
    is on, it won't slide off so easily. Running out of good unshaded places to put any more panels; would only
    need them to boost overcast days. I am not above rearranging everything, if for a good enough reason.

Originally posted by Naptown
    Don't know about any one else's warranty but that would void the Sunjpower warranty
    Is that for tracking, or for vertical angle, or for anything past vertical? Here nothing is under warrantee
    for very long, interferes with activities. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• inetdog
    replied
    I guess I should have called my idea a horizontal tracker.
    I have no idea what wire does when it is -20deg you would know better than me.
    I don't think you would need to turn the panel upside down if you had 2 primary tilts
    both of them say 20deg off of vertical one to the east and one to the west, how much snow could accumulate while chancing positions?
    also i wasn't suggesting that you change your whole array, just the panels you were planning on adding.
    good luck
    A lot of wire insulation loses too much of its flexibility at -20F to be reliable. Finding an insulation with the right combination of sunlight resistance and flexibility could be interesting, but the bending radius would not be particularly small if you laid it out correctly. A long horizontal run properly supported would allow the wire to twist rather than bending, which should put far lower demands on its flexibility.

Leave a comment:

• FUN4ME
    replied
    I guess I should have called my idea a horizontal tracker.
    I have no idea what wire does when it is -20deg you would know better than me.
    I don't think you would need to turn the panel upside down if you had 2 primary tilts
    both of them say 20deg off of vertical one to the east and one to the west, how much snow could accumulate while chancing positions?
    also i wasn't suggesting that you change your whole array, just the panels you were planning on adding.
    good luck

Leave a comment:

• inetdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Naptown
    Don't know about any one else's warranty but that would void the Sunjpower warranty
    Putting them on a horizontal axis tracker at all, or just turning them so far that the back of the panel is exposed to weather and snow load?

How about just turning them far enough (even partially inverted) to dump the snow after it has stopped snowing and then turning them right side up again?

Leave a comment:

• Naptown
    replied
    A horizontal axis tracker might be the most likely for the future, simple, and able to
    dump snow. How about, the panels look somewhat at the ground while its snowing,
    then come around clean later? Guess there would need to be some cameras out there,
    so I could see what is going on. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Horizontal axis

Originally posted by inetdog
    When you look at it that way, the tradeoff becomes the hassle in changing the settings of the time clock a few times during the year and the reliability of the time source versus the complexity and accompanying risk of failure of a true tracker.

In some areas (sub tropical in particular) the horizontal axis tracker is worth looking into also.

Potentially far lower stresses on the support and tracking mechanism.
    A horizontal axis tracker might be the most likely for the future, simple, and able to
    dump snow. How about, the panels look somewhat at the ground while its snowing,
    then come around clean later? Guess there would need to be some cameras out there,
    so I could see what is going on. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Tracking, panels, & snow

Bruce,
    You seem to be a DIY type of guy from the posts from you that I have read.
    Why not do a solar tracker? I have seen some on ebay for $155. for a 4 panel array.

My thought instead of a "tracker" why not just have the panels move to a predetermined position?
    Something like 30 deg to the East till 10am flat or horizontal from 10am till 2pm then 30 deg
    west after 2pm. (you would probably have to adjust angles and times for your location)

It could be made a little more robust than a tracker, and you might be able to tip fully vertical to drop
    the snow off of your array. Just a thought, how crazy do you think my idea is?
    Plan it, simulate it, build it & see what happens. If a tracker holds 4 panels, I would need dozens of
    them. I believe you need more space for trackers, so that they don't shadow each other? Can I trust
    the tracker when its -20F, there is a half foot of snow on the array, and 2' on the ground? How many
    times can you move it before the wires break; is the grounding safe?

The snow issue (and clearing it) might be the best reason to consider moveable arrays. Perhaps you
    can pick up 25% energy with tracking. But at day extremes sunlight is weaker; add more panels and
    get it close to mid day much faster. I was running equivalent to 7 2/3 sun hours Sat (clipping), don't
    think a tracker could do that.

Overcast, the light is dispersed, the tracker can't find a perfect direction. But extra panels work well
    bringing up extra power on those (frequent in ILL) days, orientation isn't critical. That is my best
    reason, the panels will be pointed to avoid a strong peak at any one time of day, when the sun is out.

So that is the situation here for now; but draw up your ideas and see if they compute. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• inetdog
    replied
    Bruce,
    You seem to be a DIY type of guy from the posts from you that I have read.
    Why not do a solar tracker? I have seen some on ebay for $155. for a 4 panel array.

My thought instead of a "tracker" why not just have the panels move to a predetermined position?
    Something like 30 deg to the East till 10am flat or horizontal from 10am till 2pm then 30 deg west after 2pm. (you would probably have to adjust angles and times for your location)

It could be made a little more robust than a tracker, and you might be able to tip fully vertical to drop the snow off of your array.

Just a thought, how crazy do you think my idea is?
    When you look at it that way, the tradeoff becomes the hassle in changing the settings of the time clock a few times during the year and the reliability of the time source versus the complexity and accompanying risk of failure of a true tracker.

In some areas (sub tropical in particular) the horizontal axis tracker is worth looking into also.

Potentially far lower stresses on the support and tracking mechanism.

Leave a comment:

Working...