X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by bcroe

Each array has strings that equally feed both inverters. If marked it would look like checkerboard.
    Originally the east and west sides were not mixed, but there were shade situations where one was
    clipping but the other was under peak. Checkerboard conversion cured that. Bruce
    Thank you.

I'll rate each array by assigning inverter capacity as [(15/35) * array size] and use a DC/AC ratio of 2.333 for each array unless advised otherwise.

J.P.M.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by J.P.M.
    Bruce:

Can you tell me a bit about your inverter setup ?

I'd like to know which arrays feed which inverter.

Thank you.

J.P.M.
    Each array has strings that equally feed both inverters. If marked it would look like checkerboard.
    Originally the east and west sides were not mixed, but there were shade situations where one was
    clipping but the other was under peak. Checkerboard conversion cured that. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Bruce:

Can you tell me a bit about your inverter setup ?

I'd like to know which arrays feed which inverter.

Thank you.

J.P.M.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    I did not pick it, but could not change it. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied

Those sound like pretty good dates. The original big S array I asked to have a tilt option, but could not
    get a drawing in advance. When it went up it was set at the low extreme for convenient construction
    (another long story of issues). It turned out it would take a multi person crew with equipment to elevate
    over 400 lb 10 feet in the air at 12 positions, twice a year. This was not a practical thing and likely
    would have involved damage, so it has stayed put. Given that the total has been able to keep in
    clipping any sunny day, better angle would not gain much energy. But winter energy and snow do
    rather poorly, so possibly the 2018 design and fewer panels would be advantageous. Bruce Roe
    Understood. I'll fart around some with those dates.
    Sure not my call, but if I was doing a redesign, I might consider a tilt closer to latitude (or maybe a bit more for snow considerations). Just sayin'.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied

Bruce: Thank you.
    Life is in the way just now, but the modeling is on my do list.
    I'm considering using 11/15 and 03/15 for 1st/last snow dates on the var. tilt array unless you advise otherwise.

Q: Why the 23.5 deg. tilt on the big array ?

J.P.M.
    Those sound like pretty good dates. The original big S array I asked to have a tilt option, but could not
    get a drawing in advance. When it went up it was set at the low extreme for convenient construction
    (another long story of issues). It turned out it would take a multi person crew with equipment to elevate
    over 400 lb 10 feet in the air at 12 positions, twice a year. This was not a practical thing and likely
    would have involved damage, so it has stayed put. Given that the total has been able to keep in
    clipping any sunny day, better angle would not gain much energy. But winter energy and snow do
    rather poorly, so possibly the 2018 design and fewer panels would be advantageous. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied

Update, from flat on the ground, the elevation angle of E-W facing array are both 74 deg, the
    original S facing is 23.5 deg, and the newest facing E is 75 deg (variable). The ultimate hope
    is with better angles set twice a year, and other tweaks (3% less wiring loss, etc), perhaps a
    few less panels will still generate enough for my needs. Bruce Roe
    Bruce: Thank you.
    Life is in the way just now, but the modeling is on my do list.
    I'm considering using 11/15 and 03/15 for 1st/last snow dates on the var. tilt array unless you advise otherwise.

Q: Why the 23.5 deg. tilt on the big array ?

J.P.M.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Bruce: If/When you get the time, on average , +/-, about when do you adjust the tilts on the arrays ? Also, what are the tilt angles ?

Thank You.
    Update, from flat on the ground, the elevation angle of E-W facing array are both 74 deg, the
    original S facing is 23.5 deg, and the newest facing E is 75 deg (variable). The ultimate hope
    is with better angles set twice a year, and other tweaks (3% less wiring loss, etc), perhaps a
    few less panels will still generate enough for my needs. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Bruce: If/When you get the time, on average , +/-, about when do you adjust the tilts on the arrays ? Also, what are the tilt angles ?

Thank You.
    J. P. M., The only panels I can adjust tilt are the 2018 construct, seen about page 21 of this thread
    late March 2018. Take out 6 ground level bolts (on a not windy day), crank the tilt (90 degree range),
    put the 6 bolts back in. The plan is to convert all the earlier attempts to this design. Except if I had
    known how well it would work, even this first construct would have been 2 sided (design in progress).
    Also there follows cable trenching operations.

Tilt change time would be in anticipation of the first snow, and at conclusion of significant snow. This
    would be more important for the S array (if it gets built), which have much more potential for improved
    energy collection and snow rejection. Current angle (to be measured) is about right for summer,
    terrible for winter. If this all follows through, it should be more efficient and need far less snow removal,
    might even reduce in size a bit. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied

Thank You.

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Hey design reviews are good and educational. I had a career of them with reviewers a lot tougher
    than you guys. He whose design is being reviewed needs to see it as an oportunity to improve, it
    certainly helped me.

Here is a Goog.. Ear.. today of the array, on the left 6KW pretty much facing E elevation about 82
    degrees, operational Mar 2018. At the top 18KW sort of south maybe you can get the orientation,
    May 2013, need to check elevation. In the middle 5.5KW facing sort of E, also 5.5KW facing sort
    of W, elevation of 74 deg from flat Nov 2013.

There is a plan to revise everything to the newest design, hopefully before the treated wood 2
    faced rots. Bruce Roe.

GearthJun20.jpg
    Bruce: Thank you for the response and consideration. I'll be chewing on that for awhile.
    As the used to say on the idiot box, "Updates as they become available. Film with the 10 o'clock news."

Regards,

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by Ampster
    Thanks for demonstrating that outside the box solutions can work and accomplish the owners goals.
    Sure, you now have enough info to identify a lot of my earlier mistakes. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• Ampster
    replied
    Thanks for demonstrating that outside the box solutions can work and accomplish the owners goals.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Hey design reviews are good and educational. I had a career of them with reviewers a lot tougher
    than you guys. He whose design is being reviewed needs to see it as an oportunity to improve, it
    certainly helped me.

Here is a Goog.. Ear.. today of the array, on the left 6KW pretty much facing E elevation about 82
    degrees, operational Mar 2018. At the top 18KW sort of south maybe you can get the orientation,
    May 2013, need to check elevation. In the middle 5.5KW facing sort of E, also 5.5KW facing sort
    of W, elevation of 74 deg from flat Nov 2013.

There is a plan to revise everything to the newest design, hopefully before the treated wood 2
    faced rots. Bruce Roe.

GearthJun20.jpg

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied

If you want actual equipment here, it is a lot of numbers. Or maybe just putting down a more idealized
    version would work. My installer was none too careful about what was South, the west end of the S lot
    line is 36 feet farther south than the east end. It was 2 years before the trash was cleaned up, I found
    the stakes, and marked out the area in 100 foot squares. So only the 2018 construct is precise, but the
    other facing and elevation angles can be measured out. All my E-W facing panels are mounted on a
    10% grade, one end being nearly 7 feet higher than the other. I believe that is irrelevant, long as the
    elevation angle is measured on a true vertical angle.

There are at least 4 different brands of panels, either 250W 60 cell or 275W 72 cell. All that could be
    tracked down, along with time in service. Inverters are a pair of Fronius IG Plus 7.5KW running since
    May 2013, increased loading in Nov 2013 and again in Mar 2018. Much of the current setup is slated
    to be upgraded, if the foundation gets dug.

With good weather for a couple days, I will probably be working all out on the 225 foot trench, maybe
    can pick up the missing numbers in unfavorable weather. If you stop by, I have extra shovels. The
    trencher is working, but tough going here with all the rocks. Bruce Roe
    Bruce:

To your statement: "To compare two designs, they both should be simulated the same way, such as by PVWatts. Comparing a theoretical system simulation to an actual systems performance is not apples to apples.", I'd like to compare apple to apples in terms of inputs to the greatest extent possible. Any help you could graciously provide would be appreciated.

When modeling an existing system to a given set of inputs (a process that's very similar to something called "rating" an existing boiler or other heat exchanger for different service in the power generation business I came from), using inputs that reflect reality with respect to the existing equipment as much as possible improves the probability that the model will reflect what an existing system will do.

For residential PV systems, simulated weather and irradiance conditions for the site will be the same for any modeled system.

Modeling is not an exact science and probably doesn't need to be. However, the more and better information on the existing system I have, the higher the probability will be that the model will produce numbers that reflect reality.

As for array azimuths, a google shot of the property is probably close enough. I suppose I could find one by rooting around in your zip code but you could save me the trouble.
    for the rest of it, PVWatts will only need array sizes and the inverter sizes an array feeds, and array tilts. I'll also need approx. times of the year when you change tilts. The rest of the particulars I listed would be used for the SAM input.

Because you use 15 kW of inverters, I intend to use the same 15 kW in any modeling of a south facing array. I expect that will under-invert any south facing array that is modeled and sized to produce your stated annual output.

As for shading, I believe you once provided a graph that showed approx. times of shade. Any further information you might provide on shading with respect to dime of day/time of year would be helpful.

As for stopping by, without a baseball season, I don't plan on being in the Midwest anytime soon for my 1X/yr. pilgrimage to the friendly confines of Wrigley Field. But if I was, my offer was semi-serious. Having mostly Irish genes, and what's not Irish is Scot, kind of analogous to what male dogs usually do to fire hydrants, I'm sort of genetically predisposed to digging holes if there's dirt and a shovel nearby.

Leave a comment:

Working...