X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FUN4ME
    replied
    Bruce,
    You seem to be a DIY type of guy from the posts from you that I have read.
    Why not do a solar tracker? I have seen some on ebay for $155. for a 4 panel array.

My thought instead of a "tracker" why not just have the panels move to a predetermined position?
    Something like 30 deg to the East till 10am flat or horizontal from 10am till 2pm then 30 deg west after 2pm. (you would probably have to adjust angles and times for your location)

It could be made a little more robust than a tracker, and you might be able to tip fully vertical to drop the snow off of your array.

Just a thought, how crazy do you think my idea is?

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by Naptown
    Don't forget about September there will be a difference from march due to higher temps
    Ok, need to consider temperature to get panel output; more output in March than Sept.
    But perhaps it won't affect MAOF, which I see as a pure ratio. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Naptown
    replied
    Don't forget about September there will be a difference from march due to higher temps

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by inetdog
    I suppose that you could coin a term like Multiple Array Orientation Factor (MAOF) to describe this.
    But for any particular installation, the value of that factor will depend on the exact orientation of the two sub arrays, the morning and afternoon weather at the site, etc.

You can get a useful approximation of this factor by looking up the PVwatts values for the two arrays separately and comparing it to the PVwatts value for a single south facing array of the same size as one of the sub-arrays.
    As long as there is not an overlap between the producing hours of the two sub-arrays which would exceed the input wattage of the GTI or CC and cause clipping, this should give you the number you want.
    But in the real world, you may also need to factor in Time Of Use rate structures, etc., and PVwatts will not do that for you.
    OK, its MAOF for now. Multiply your SUN HOURS by your MAOF to predict a days output. Not
    considering the Time Of Use, since it doesn't apply here. This idea can't be pushed too far before
    some clipping happens, so I think an hour by hour simulation of each orientation must then be
    added up, and limited on any hour to the maximum. It will also vary by season; I thought running
    it for 20 Dec, 20 Mar, and 20 June would give a good picture. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• inetdog
    replied
    Originally posted by bcroe
    I was just thinking about the definition of SUN HOURS. Like, with my sun rise to sunset being
    10:50 hours now, the total energy hitting a given panel might be equivalent to 5 hours of perfect
    sun noon. So then its 5 SUN HOURS that day, location, and alignment.

Working this backwards, harvesting 110 KWH divided by 15 KW inverter maximum (clipping)
    level, gives 7.33 equivalent SUN HOURS. The idea of course is to stretch the sun day by adding
    panels directly facing the rising & setting sun. Comparing this to the basic sun hours could be
    a multiplying factor for the panel arrangement. Probably the factor doesn't have a name? I'm
    still looking for a tool to use, to predict this factor. Bruce Roe
    I suppose that you could coin a term like Multiple Array Orientation Factor (MAOF) to describe this.
    But for any particular installation, the value of that factor will depend on the exact orientation of the two sub arrays, the morning and afternoon weather at the site, etc.

You can get a useful approximation of this factor by looking up the PVwatts values for the two arrays separately and comparing it to the PVwatts value for a single south facing array of the same size as one of the sub-arrays.
    As long as there is not an overlap between the producing hours of the two sub-arrays which would exceed the input wattage of the GTI or CC and cause clipping, this should give you the number you want.
    But in the real world, you may also need to factor in Time Of Use rate structures, etc., and PVwatts will not do that for you.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    started a topic Sun hours

Sun hours

I was just thinking about the definition of SUN HOURS. Like, with my sun rise to sunset being
    10:50 hours now, the total energy hitting a given panel might be equivalent to 5 hours of perfect
    sun noon. So then its 5 SUN HOURS that day, location, and alignment.

Working this backwards, harvesting 110 KWH divided by 15 KW inverter maximum (clipping)
    level, gives 7.33 equivalent SUN HOURS. The idea of course is to stretch the sun day by adding
    panels directly facing the rising & setting sun. Comparing this to the basic sun hours could be
    a multiplying factor for the panel arrangement. Probably the factor doesn't have a name? I'm
    still looking for a tool to use, to predict this factor. Bruce Roe
Working...